Nel coils for x-Terra?

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your money nel coils make great claims to added depth that just arent true

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are NOT authorized to produce Xterra coils, and in fact they can't be retailed in the States because of blatent patent infringment. They are being produced with pirated technology and shouldn't be rewarded for their theft.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
They are not producing X-Terra coils they are in fact making genuine NEL coils that happen to work very well on whatever detector they are used on......including Our Home Brand......provided the user know what he/she is doing.
We over here are just plain lucky and treasure our freedom of choices...........there is nothing like first hand experiences. :icon_thumright:
P4196805_800.jpg

ivanll

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is with your desire to promote unauthorized products that are illegal to sell here Ivan?

You call it freedom, and Minelab calls it counterfeiting. And while they don't name NEL in their publications about counterfeit products, they do not promote them, they do warn about the use of unauthorized products, and they do promote the only non-Minelab made authorized Xterra coils produced by Coiltek.

From Minelab's website:
Product Notices

05 Jun 2012

X-TERRA Coil Compatibility

As part of ongoing product improvements to our X-TERRA series of ADVENTURE detectors, Minelab has recently updated our VFLEX technology with improved coil-to-detector digital communications protocols.
All genuine Minelab X-TERRA coils and authorised Coiltek X-TERRA coils are fully compatible with all X-TERRA detectors. Any other third party brand non-authorised coils that may function with older X-TERRA detectors may not work at all with the latest X-TERRA detectors. This will result in a CE error message appearing on the X-TERRA display, indicating that the coil is not communicating with the control box.
Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact your regional Minelab office

Law or not (depending on where you might be in the world), there is is merit to something called "respect". And if a manufacturer tells me that a product is not recommended, I'll respect and heed their warning. Yes, you are free to buy counterfeits, black market products, or any other kind of junk that you choose to, but to go with something that you know the manufacturer has gone out of their way to thwart IMO is foolish. Do so at your own risk....that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
The thread started with a logical and easy question.
Saw Nel coils on eBay was wondering if anyone had used this brand of coil ?

My answer was directed to that question in a positive and polite manner..........Period!!

ivanll

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Illegal? ... really??... ****.. i own 2 of them for my 705.. better hide them under the bed! LOL..

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oneshot

Oct 20, 2012
West Caldwell New Jersey
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 70
WHITES COINMASTER CLASSIC III
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question: Saw Nel coils on eBay was wondering if anyone had used this brand of coil ?

Answer: I have an NEL Hunter DD on my Xterra 70. It's gonna be a bit heavier than the the stock concentric, but the machine will still be light overall. Performance is excellent, even with pinponting. The "free" coil cover doesn't stay on, though, but it's very well built and I don't use the cover.

OP
OP
T

t-man

Mar 5, 2013
walla walla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question: Saw Nel coils on eBay was wondering if anyone had used this brand of coil ?

Answer: I have an NEL Hunter DD on my Xterra 70. It's gonna be a bit heavier than the the stock concentric, but the machine will still be light overall. Performance is excellent, even with pinponting. The "free" coil cover doesn't stay on, though, but it's very well built and I don't use the cover.

Thanks for the info, I ended up going with coiltek , I got a cheaper deal .

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
T-Man, if your 705 was made after April 2012 the NEL wont work with it. Minelab update whatever code is in their box so that if a NEL coil is plugged it you will only get "CE" - coil error. As for the charge of "counterfeit" - NEL does not label the coil as "Minelab" or in anyway claim to be something that it is not. While Minelab hasn't "authorized" it they can't tell you what you can or can not put on the end of your machine. I have a 12" Hunter coil on mine. It is a bit heavy and that is about the only complaint. If Coiltek made an elliptical coil I'd buy it but the only coil they make for the X-Terra is the 15" round WOT. While great for fields but sucks in the woods. JMHO.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Coiltek made an elliptical coil I'd buy it but the only coil they make for the X-Terra is the 15" round WOT.
Not quite correct. Coiltek now produces the 15" WOT MKII in all three frequencies, as well as the new 6" DD 3kHz "Digger".

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Our home brand coils work well, weight ways they are a little heavy............ especially on price.

But...........:metaldetector: whatever is suitable! :love4:
P8015098_2a.jpg

:occasion14:
ivanll

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are NOT authorized to produce Xterra coils, and in fact they can't be retailed in the States because of blatent patent infringment. They are being produced with pirated technology and shouldn't be rewarded for their theft.
That's like buying a car with goodyear tires and being told firestones are not ok. If minelab wants post sale coil purchases made through them I guess they need to make a better product at a better price.

Qlander

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how they could be labeled as "counterfeit" if they don't have the minelab logo displayed on them and are not a copy of the original , is it any different to replacing a genuine part on your car with a part which is an aftermarket equivalent?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The technology is copyrighted and patented. NEL has NOT gotten license, permission, or any pertaining information to use/produce that technology. They simply stole it through reverse engineering.
Reward thieves at your own risk!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The technology is copyrighted and patented. NEL has NOT gotten license, permission, or any pertaining information to use/produce that technology. They simply stole it through reverse engineering.
Reward thieves at your own risk!

If it works it works who cares weither its certified or not. If the coil works use it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works it works who cares weither its certified or not. If the coil works use it.
Oh. So even though it's wrong, it's OK as long as you position yourself to not get caught? Do you buy all of your stuff off the back of a truck in a dark alley?

Sorry....if it was above board they would be in retail shops everywhere, instead of hiding in the internet shadows and conducting business covertly.

Qlander

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nel coil for the X Terra series doesn't seem to really offer any considerable savings when compared to the MLB branded product here in the US, it may be different back in Oz. I'm sure Minelab will maintain it's market share based on the fact it produces a quality product which is backed by a warranty period which exceeds that of it's competitors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread