Minelab explorer xs

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I have used one briefly but I know a guy who has been hunting coins for some time now with the XS, he is very good at it. He has told me and to some extent shown that, the factory pre-set is very good. He hasn't been able to find better settings for what he searches, $ australian coins. Silver is a little higher in conductivity than these coins, but you should find that factory pre-set is still very good for silver as well. I would work off of the factory pre-settings for a while until you get comfortable enought to experiment with other settings.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this..

Conductive sounds
Gain-10
variability-10
Limits-10
Max limits-10
Fast-Off
Deep-Off
Sensitivity-Semi auto 26 (manual 26 if the ground is clean enough)
Iron mask -22.....-6 on the XS and EX2 which is the same as -22 on SE (about left 1/3 of screen blacked out)
Theshold barely audible
Everything else stock preset including discrimination

The 3 keys for me which make these settings effective for deep park silver at "hunted out" sites are the following...

1) high gain which allows deep silver chirps to be heard

2) Semi auto sensitivity at 26 which makes the SE very stable while still running the high gain setting I prefer. Because of this..the SE has no problems hitting 8" to 10" coins. If the ground is clean and you don't seem to get the depth you need.....give manual 26 a shot.

3) Iron mask set at -22. this is a precise setting for me that I never vary from. 1 setting higher....and deep iron starts to mimick deep silver hits...hence some falsing. Also at this -22 setting... I have no problems hitting the same 8" to 10" deep coins even while the SE may be nulling....which is very important.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware you will hear some falsing and it will be up to you to discern between falsing and deep coin hits. The semi auto sensitivity does control the falsing quite a bit...but you might still hear some.

IMPORTANT: Please have the confidence to know that if you are going slow enough through iron...that your machine will still let a nice deep coin hit signal through the nulling threshold.

This came from someone who has alot of years on the Explorers.

Jeff

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off you have bought an awesome machine that will keep up with all the lastest and greatest. I started with factory settings and did'nt like it, change to close to what jeff say's above and the only thing I change is sensitivity going down extremly trashy areas. This machine ids steel bottle caps possitively, I've never dug a good target when it says its a steel cap. And I've dug plenty just to check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread