Which shaft length do you like, long or short?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen this question till today in my email. Which length shaft do I perfer, long or short where it almost touches your foot? Since I use an Excal most of the time in the water while wading, I like a long shaft so I can cover the sweep in a large radius. My controls are hung around my neck to save weight and water resistance. Coil wire is taped along the side of the shaft in a straight line for water resistance also. This longer shaft forces me to sweep slower so I cover more area without missing any sand.

On land I like a coil nearer my foot since I will be bending for retrieval.

But which length do you like?

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I keep the coil fairly close to my feet for two reasons:

1. I feel more in control of the detector, where with the shaft longer my sweeps are a bit more erratic. When hunting beaches though, I do use a longer sweep to cover more area.

2. I have shoulder problems, so keeping the coil close creates less strain on the arms, and I tend to keep my back straighter, too, which is less tiring.

Dick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread