First time out with the ctx today

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Went out today found another $1.15 in clad oldest was a 1959 d penny, still no silver

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Found $2.19 in clad, 1935 d, and 1945 wheat penny and a 1898 Indian head penny this morning. Still no silver.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take an Indian cent over a silver Roosy any day!

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Yeah I was surprised when that came out of the hole, oldest coin I found ever, went out today for a few hours and dug up $.68 in clad and 2 wheaties, oldest was 1914 s, still no silver though lol

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to remember is deep coins are not going to id the same as shallower coins will. After 7 to 8 inches my explorer will go between iron and a good signal half and half you just have to reconize this and dig iffy signals showing deep on depth gauge.At least it works around here.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Yeah I have noticed it jumping around a bit on deeper targets, guess I will have to dig some of them up and see what they are.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want better chances at silver start knocking on door of 1900 homes. That is where the silver is. Most parks are hunted to death. Silver is not something you get everytime. I average 10 wheaties to 1 silver.

Older yards, if you get lucky, are virgin territory, ESPECIALLY to a Minelab CTX 3030

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Yeah I think the parks here are picked clean of silver, although I did find that 1898 Indian at the beach/ park so there is still hope to find some good stuff there, I figured I would get to know the machine better before digging in yards. Thanks for the advice Bart! I got the pin pointer I ordered from you today and will be trying it out this weekend!

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several things to remember.

1. If your pulling coins, that park is not hunted out. I hit a tiny park that everyone said was hunted out last weekend, got nothing but modern coins. Then 15ft from the curb near a older tree I got a Canadian 1910 Edward VII "fishscale" nickel.
2. Your have the advantage with the CTX, it can find coins the other detectors null out on or just cannot see if your running in combine mode. Back in February, I was hunting a very old, large park with friends. Started griding a grass area that some of the older guys with me have hunted with everything from E-tracs back to the first detectors close to 40 years ago. I pulled a 1909 Canadian 50 cent piece and 1931 Canadian silver dime in the same hole in the middle of that green space, with a huge piece of rusty wire about 4" near it.
3. Do NOT use ANY discrimination on the screen. Run wide open to hear everything.
4. Dig anything on the 11, 12, 13, 14 lines. No matter the numbers, or scratchy tones; you will find surprises, and at the same time clean out trash that can hide the coins you want to find.
5. Perseverance is the key word. Keep hitting the park areas in small grid patterns like 50ftx50ft. In different directions each time. I do this in ferrous-coin, combine, then switch to ground coin, combine and recently I've added a pass in 2 tone ferrous, low trash for the most depth power. Only then when I get no signals but DEEP iron(sometimes I dig that out too just in case) do I say I've "maybe" "cleaned" that area, at least until Minelab comes out with the next generation of detector to blow our minds and open up the targets again.

Don't give up, listen to the signals, learn the detector. It will win you over totally when you pull something awesome from a so called hunted out park.

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
I finally found my first silver! 1929 d mercury dime, also found 6 wheaties, still getting to know the detector hopefully find more next weekend!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally found my first silver! 1929 d mercury dime, also found 6 wheaties, still getting to know the detector hopefully find more next weekend!

Congrats! it only gets better!!

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
I also found a world war 2 marine pin made of sterling silver and half of a pocket watch, the pocket watch was right next to someone else's plug so either the gave up digging or they got the other half lol the watch wasn't made of gold or silver but still cool to find!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, congrats on your first silver, hopefully its the first of many! Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
J

Jermbo

May 7, 2013
Found an old 5cent in trade token from 1908-1912 and another mercury dime 1936, and probably a dozen wheats and a bunch of clad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread