Excal MOD and straight shaft question

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok yes I searched the forums and found many opinions and ideas.

I still have the S shaft and use a hip mount but found that I use my left hand to dig and I am afraid I will break a knob when bending over.

So my question is if I do the mods I want to do all of them at once.

Is the Anderson carbon fiber straight shaft worth it?

the PP toggle does it really save you time? I rarely have to PP...1 in 20 digs.

What head phones do you guys really think are the best?

I really do appreciate the feedback!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The Carbon fibers are nice and a great op, but the aluminum shaft works just as well. As far as having a metal rod as the upper shaft does it affect performance, None that I can see. I like the carbon fiber because they are a little lighter and the shafts don't freeze up from the saltwater. I think Doc's detecting sells them also or you can make your a lot cheaper then the andersons. Carbon Fiber Roll Wrapped Uni Tube ~ 0.75" x 48", Gloss Finish
On the PP switch, it is not actually the only use for this .......
The remote Pinpoint is for the hunter that hunts in Reverse Discrimination. By this I mean your hunting in the PP mode, for greater depth, coverage, speed and definition of targets. Checking targets with a switch to discriminate then quickly back. There are many advantages, all learned in time.

Headphones have been my specialty as far as the Excalibur, I really think that is one of the weakest points of the Excalibur. A good set of headphones will set you ahead of the pack. For starters I would recommend the Peltor H10 mod for the headphones with some ear Gelpads. If you really want to step up then the Gray Ghost Amphibians with Volume control will soon be available, these are the best I have tested for the discriminate hunter.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Where do you purchase the mod for the PP switch or is there a tutorial on how it's done?

Thank you
RG

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember that if you do the pinpoint mod, it's a land machine only from then on.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Things have improved over the years in IP68 switch's so now we are good for in the deep. My first ip68
switch lasted 4 years and I never took care of it, and with it's failure and time I have learned what is needed
for longevity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4zQKupYDs

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info! :icon_thumleft:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good efforts by OBN. Thanks for sharing useful information.

Very Welcome, It's been several years since this post.....2013. And I still love my excalibur in the water. I've even got a little better at using it and for sure would not have had the success with out the PP modification and a Good set of head phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread