Etrac or explorer se pro?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had the attitude go big or go home. Damn near bought the 3030. Besides that bei
G waterproof and a GPS I decided the etrac would be fine for my needs. One big selling point of the etrac for me over the explorer or the safari was there such a ton of people with the etrac that the trouble shooting and conversations with questions involving an etrac would be beneficial. As for functionality the safari wil do but I just wanted to be one of the crowd with a bad ass machine. No regrets buying the etrac.

Thats how i feel to go big or go home right on

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay so as I have been All Over The Place as many of you know I am now looking into an Minelab FBS ... (Amazing how I start at like a 500 dollar rig and end up around 1K ..LOL).

I am on the hunt for an E-Trac no doubt ... but many great deals seem to be available on the SE Pro right now from some sellers. Seems like the SE Pro can be had for 100-250 dollars cheaper then the E-Trac used at the moment.

I will search wit my uncle who has an E-Trac and also my step-dad who has an Explorer II ... so either way I got someone to show me how either rig works to start.

I prefer the newer E-Trac and I will search like crazy to find one ... but if I find a stellar deal that is almost to good to pass up on an SE Pro ...I may bite.

Soooo ... I wanted to open up this thread to ask the same question the thread is named .... E-Trac vs. Explorer SE ???

Any more up to date thoughts? I see TONS of stuff on the E-Trac and youtube videos but almost Zero on the SE Pro .... maybe cause the E-Trac was such a departure from the Explorer line that is why there is so much?

I am set on trying to find and E-Trac ... but I would like to know more about the SE Pro.

Thanks so much guys! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so as I have been All Over The Place as many of you know I am now looking into an Minelab FBS ... (Amazing how I start at like a 500 dollar rig and end up around 1K ..LOL).

I am on the hunt for an E-Trac no doubt ... but many great deals seem to be available on the SE Pro right now from some sellers. Seems like the SE Pro can be had for 100-250 dollars cheaper then the E-Trac used at the moment.

I will search wit my uncle who has an E-Trac and also my step-dad who has an Explorer II ... so either way I got someone to show me how either rig works to start.

I prefer the newer E-Trac and I will search like crazy to find one ... but if I find a stellar deal that is almost to good to pass up on an SE Pro ...I may bite.

Soooo ... I wanted to open up this thread to ask the same question the thread is named .... E-Trac vs. Explorer SE ???

Any more up to date thoughts? I see TONS of stuff on the E-Trac and youtube videos but almost Zero on the SE Pro .... maybe cause the E-Trac was such a departure from the Explorer line that is why there is so much?

I am set on trying to find and E-Trac ... but I would like to know more about the SE Pro.

Thanks so much guys! :thumbsup:

I think the video ratio is heavily in favor of the E-trac for a few reasons. The first is it hasn't been that long since the internet really exploded with detecting videos and for most of that time the E-trac was the top Minelab detector. Then you have Explorer users divided into three... Explorer XS, Explorer II and Explorer SE. If you have a good working XS or II, you definitely don't need an SE. And the same holds true for an SE and E-trac, but many people will buy the more expensive detector even if the guts are the same, because they somehow think the meaningless little changes will find them more. I have been an Explorer user almost since the start, and had a II, and now an SE, but feel no need to buy an E-trac. I just bought a new detector at Christmas and could have easily got an E-trac, or a CTX for that matter, but I just don't believe at the end of the day the technology they have is any better at what counts, and that's finding small pieces of metal at my old sites. From watching videos and talking to people I do believe the E-trac likely is the exact same to swing as an Explorer SE, and to be honest watching a CTX in iron the good targets did not seem to be as clear as they are on the other Minelabs when they are heavily masked, but of course I would wait to try one in person before making final judgement. At some point I probably will have to move on from the Explorer, but not until I have to. If people think the Etrac or CTX are that much better, cool, and I hope they are because it will give me something to look forward to in about 2020.

Last edited:

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the video ratio is heavily in favor of the E-trac for a few reasons. The first is it hasn't been that long since the internet really explored with detecting videos and for most of that time the E-trac was the top Minelab detector.

Ya I kinda thought the video that were available on youtube were much much more due to the fact the E-Trac has been the top dog the last 5 odd years I think and most people were not posting much on youtube videos prior to that new E-Trac maybe. So that makes sense.

But that is one driving factor for me to get something recently released cause there will be SO much more help via books, reviews, walk-throughs, and videos that would massively help a new user like me ... and the explorer doesn't seem to be Anywhere Near Close to the info available out there that the E-Trac has.

And being that these new machines have such a Steep learning curve all of that will be a massive help I think.

I am pretty set on the E-Trac like I said if I can find that deal of all deals .... But I still wanted to find out more on the SE Pro as it seems like they are Very close in technology etc. and I would feel just as confident in that machine I think as well and the price is a good chunk lower as well.

But I guess I'll just read more and learn more until something falls into my lap I guess ... until then I will be waiting for more info and be ready with check book to jump on something ASAP. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I kinda thought the video that were available on youtube were much much more due to the fact the E-Trac has been the top dog the last 5 odd years I think and most people were not posting much on youtube videos prior to that new E-Trac maybe. So that makes sense.

But that is one driving factor for me to get something recently released cause there will be SO much more help via books, reviews, walk-throughs, and videos that would massively help a new user like me ... and the explorer doesn't seem to be Anywhere Near Close to the info available out there that the E-Trac has.

And being that these new machines have such a Steep learning curve all of that will be a massive help I think.

I am pretty set on the E-Trac like I said if I can find that deal of all deals .... But I still wanted to find out more on the SE Pro as it seems like they are Very close in technology etc. and I would feel just as confident in that machine I think as well and the price is a good chunk lower as well.

But I guess I'll just read more and learn more until something falls into my lap I guess ... until then I will be waiting for more info and be ready with check book to jump on something ASAP. :)

Even if they have the same guts, and even if they were the same price, I like the ironmask/disc. setting on the Explorer and would not want to change from that. I don't use the screen so any changes they made there would mean nothing to me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-trac and CTX3030 use the same numbering system which is different than the Explorer series. Keep in mind that Minelab (and other brands) have a history of discontinuing parts and repair for the older models so getting a newer one will help down the road when it comes to servicing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions