Etrac or explorer se pro?

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
I am using a whites v3 and after enough YouTube videos I'm fining minelab detectors to be pretty sweet. I hunt mostly estates and trashy king of areas in dirt and sometimes talk grass and weeds. Would like to know which minelab machine would give most accurate data for gold and the perform the best with mineral and electrical interference. Aswell as the best for bumping brush and talk grass. Whist will be the cleanest sounding machine? Price doesn't matter to me. Thanks in advance.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure there is a lot of difference in performance between the E-trac and Explorer but I'd give the E-trac the edge. Both are excellent machines but if money is no object, I'd get the CTX3030. It has a faster processor speed, multiple target I.D. and the bonus of being water proof and a GPS built in.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If u want fast responce dues all the way, & very lite to how Long have u been using the v3. Id it an i, I been doin very well with my v3i & invested in the sef coils both the 6x8 & 10x12, they r great with EMI depth & trashy áreas its definetly a big difference over the dd coils

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelabs hate air, so they won't do well in tall grass. The Explorer and E-trac are exactly the same technology, so one isn't likey to do any better than the other.

A T-2SE, F-75LTD, or Deus would be better.

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If gold is your target I would think that your v3 is the right machine for you. Don't get me wrong, both the SE and E-Trac will find gold but you're going to have to dig a ton of trash to find it. As far as silver goes in trash or at depth (in my opinion), the SE and E-Trac will run circles around the v3 and without a doubt the E-Trac will sniff out more silver than the SE if the user knows both machines well and uses good detecting technique.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How will the V3 avoid you digging trash? Can it tell a nickel from a pull tab from a gold ring? I haven't seen any machine that will do that with any degree of certainty.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh she is pretty good with it when I threw on the sef or even the stock its easy to c trash along with tones & even a Picture id that it'll tell u what % sure it is that #,vdi along with that I have the spectra graph & mainy Ive been using polor plot which of my lines arent shooting off to the right all nice its trash same thing of there all bunched up its pretty clear trash from good with sizing graphs,polor plot & also the 3 frequncies ur runnin at the same time of reds highest pretty much can count it as junk Blue & green good but allways just double check with the graphs

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The Explorer is documented as having greater depth capabilities. But then the E-Trac is no slouch. It's a difficult learning curve on either. But, I am in fact finding coins with large rusty nails laying just about on top of the coins. That's the MineLab advantage.

The E-Trac is a beast. Once you understand it you own the ground beneath it.

OP
OP
swund1703

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
V3 is pretty accurate by telling a nickel from trash but I have always dug trash to find gold. It has the sizing that helps but like you said no avoiding digging trash. If I'm hunting open areas like farm ground or estates.i usually turn off trash which turns off gold but as for parks and beaches I should drive a garbage truck.

OP
OP
swund1703

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
By the way I purchased and etrac loaded with decent digger pouch headphones and a sun ray inline probe. Sweet deal at unbieveable price

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V3 is pretty accurate by telling a nickel from trash but I have always dug trash to find gold. It has the sizing that helps but like you said no avoiding digging trash. If I'm hunting open areas like farm ground or estates.i usually turn off trash which turns off gold but as for parks and beaches I should drive a garbage truck.

Oh ya no dought all the toys sizing polor plot I do still get some trash but not nearly as much its gotta really b a tricky peice all machines especially ones said r real good detectors that go very deep still will get trash every now & then

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with digging some trash. I don't want to pass up a good target because my machine figured it was junk. I just have a hard time believing everything a detector says. I've found lots of great targets that various machines have said was junk. I know the technology is getting better all the time but I don't think they can I.D. anything close to 100% yet. If I get a nickel sound, I'm still digging it, even if it's scratchy, sketchy, reading only one direction, etc. I know it's likely to be a pull tab or wadded foil ball but I still hope for a gold ring, and occasionally get one. Better than ignoring it and passing on a great find.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way I purchased and etrac loaded with decent digger pouch headphones and a sun ray inline probe. Sweet deal at unbieveable price

Make sure you get the book by Andy Sabisch - it will absolutely shorten your learning curve.

One thing I did learn on my own was to start out running at the recommended sensitivity, and maybe a little less. I was getting sooooo many false signals it was driving me crazy. Not good for the trying to learn it mode. Once you get used to it, you can start to understand what it is saying.

And these charts you see about FE-CO coin values, do not absolutely depend on them. You'll get good coin signals which are well out of line with the values on the charts. Go for the tones themselves, but do pay attention to the values.

And! Go slow, especially when you hit a signal - even barely move the coil.

I used to try the Pinpoint mode, but was always off in the actual location. Look up Goes4ever's website on his pinpointing method. That is more accurate for me and I'm actually getting the targets in my first dig.

Pinpointing with the Etrac - Saving History One Piece at a Time

I find the E-Trac emulator was good for speeding up the learning curve on using the menu system. You won't find the software on MineLab's site unless you pay for Platinum membership. I forget where I found it now, except that I googled until I did find it. Really does help learning how to navigate quickly.

Good luck!!!

Hopefully this will help with some of the initial frustration you will have.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-Trac and the Explorer SE Pro are two totally different machines and the folks on the Minelab forum (who own both) urge people to not ditch the SE for the E-Trac... Some say that the SE even works better in certain situations and they can be run much hotter than the E-Trac... Knowing that plus being a SE PRO user myself... I'd still like to get an E-Trac but keep the SE :)

Enjoy your Minelab swund... I know you will

OP
OP
swund1703

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
Etrac has found silver everyday I've used it. About ready to throw it away so I don't break my steak. Lol.

OP
OP
swund1703

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
Thanks for all the info folks. Going out tomorrow maybe ill find a coin in relation to Independence Day. Lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac has found silver everyday I've used it. About ready to throw it away so I don't break my steak. Lol.
I thought your said you are using the White's V3?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both now.

In your research did you consider a Safari? That's what I've got my eye on. From my research it's same technology as SE and Etrac without all the bells and whistles? I've recently bought a Sov GT and its pulling coins out of places I've hit hard with ATP and Vaquero. It's so quite until theirs actually a target worth digging! Except if course for can slaw! They all will pick that though.....

OP
OP
swund1703

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
I've always had the attitude go big or go home. Damn near bought the 3030. Besides that bei
G waterproof and a GPS I decided the etrac would be fine for my needs. One big selling point of the etrac for me over the explorer or the safari was there such a ton of people with the etrac that the trouble shooting and conversations with questions involving an etrac would be beneficial. As for functionality the safari wil do but I just wanted to be one of the crowd with a bad ass machine. No regrets buying the etrac.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions