Why is the cxt3030 $1000 better than etrac?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cxt machines was thought that crossed my mind the other day but just looking for your opinions of what is $1000 better than the etrac

Watet proof and more bells and whistles

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking the Etrac coupled with Excal would be the total package. I'm a little worried about CTX gasket issues even wading in shallow water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the biggest bells is the built in GPS, ability to track where you have hunted as you hunt enhances grid hunting, ability to down load and upload previous hunts to see where you have found the good targets, basicall just higher end bells and whistles.... My hunting partner owns one, it is a really good detector, but still too rich for my blood.......

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless,Water proof "even thou there seems to be a few complaining about leaking" what about all the ones they sold that don't?
It is faster responding to targets. I like mine thats all I know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the leaks is because the gasket on battery compartment was not replaced properly when battery was loaded.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is waaaaay more than a couple differences between the CTX and E-Trac. For starters, FBS2 is a melding of all digital V-Flex technology with standard FBS. It has more digital technology than a regular E-trac.
It's waterproof to 10ft.
It has wireless capability.
It has "Target Trace", which is way cool!
It has a bigger faster processor than the E-Trac.
It has built in GPS.
It has updatable firmware capability through the "Exchange".
And even though it's a tad heavier, it balances better than the prior FBS units.

Is it worth another $1k more than an E-Trac? It's your choice.

Last edited:

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the target trace. A little more information always help. The wireless head phones are great. All most worth the money right there.
I'm not using the gps as much as I was hoping I would. But, that's because I'm a lazy *******. It only balances better when you use the arm strap. I didn't like that at first but I'm getting used to it.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more feature is the multiple target ID. It shows two different targets on the screen when the coil is over two targets.

The faster processor allows it to handle a faster swing and recover from one target to the next more quickly.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is waaaaay more than a couple differences between the CTX and E-Trac. For starters, FBS2 is a melding of all digital V-Flex technology with standard FBS. It has more digital technology than a regular E-trac.
It's waterproof to 10ft.
It has wireless capability.
It has "Target Trace", which is way cool!
It has a bigger faster processor than the E-Trac.
It has built in GPS.
It has updatable firmware capability through the "Exchange".
And even though it's a tad heavier, it balances better than the prior FBS units.

Is it worth another $1k more than an E-Trac? It's your choice.

GREAT post! The speed and more stability in trash is a HUGE advantage. Add gone huntings settings to the Minelab CTX 3030 and your talking whole new ballgame.

Don't forget being able to see multiple targets on the screen at once. VERY VERY cool!

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom line: faster response, auto sensitivity is way more stable, the GPS system, and IMHO the most impressive feature is the Combine mode, which is amazing to use in trashy areas to sniff out targets that other machines miss. Worth every cent!!

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line: faster response, auto sensitivity is way more stable, the GPS system, and IMHO the most impressive feature is the Combine mode, which is amazing to use in trashy areas to sniff out targets that other machines miss. Worth every cent!!

Since the combined mode is really only a combination of audio settings that provide alerts in a particular way, how does it help to sniff out those targets?

I have never found Combined to alert on a target that some of the other audio setting didn't also alert on.

I find the other mode setting (that effect actual detection) to have more influence on the ability to"sniff out" targets.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have both the CTX and E-Trac and have tested them side-by-side and in the field. The CTX has a slight edge on depth, target separation, unmasking, and providing visual and audio information. The caveat is that the CTX isn't a "wow" factor upgrade, it isn't a major leap in technology, more of a tweak. You might get that fringe area target in and around iron that the E-Trac would null on at depth.

The CTX color screen is nice - but washed out and hard to see outdoors. Most hunt by audio clues anyway and glance at the screen to confirm. It would have been nice if the screen pivoted - turning it toward the user, but it doesn't.

The useful thing about CTX's combined mode is that the split bottom zone (bin) can be assigned a Low Tone audio without using DISC. This one feature allows the use of zero DISC in 4TF which helps improve target sensitivity and depth. So, that's a plus.

The majority of the weight of the CTX is behind the armrest and allows the stem to pivot at the grip- which is a natural balance point. That is, there is less felt weight even though the CTX is heavier than the E-Trac. The net effect: it is easier to manipulate and there is less torque on the arm - which is less tiring.

Both the CTX and E-Trac are low freq machines and are going to be silver sensitive - which if you are a coin hunter is a plus. They both have great TID at depth - though the CTX has a slight advantage there. The CTX may gain 1/2" to 1" more accurate TID depth over the E-Trac, depending on soil characteristics.

If you are going to buy an FBS machine - it would make sense to get a used CTX rather than a new E-Trac, both run about the same price. If you don't need the TID and just want to know if a target is non-ferrous or ferrous at depth, there are cheaper solutions.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have both the CTX and E-Trac and have tested them side-by-side and in the field. The CTX has a slight edge on depth, target separation, unmasking, and providing visual and audio information. The caveat is that the CTX isn't a "wow" factor upgrade, it isn't a major leap in technology, more of a tweak. You might get that fringe area target in and around iron that the E-Trac would null on at depth.

The CTX color screen is nice - but washed out and hard to see outdoors. Most hunt by audio clues anyway and glance at the screen to confirm. It would have been nice if the screen pivoted - turning it toward the user, but it doesn't.

The useful thing about CTX's combined mode is that the split bottom zone (bin) can be assigned a Low Tone audio without using DISC. This one feature allows the use of zero DISC in 4TF which helps improve target sensitivity and depth. So, that's a plus.

The majority of the weight of the CTX is behind the armrest and allows the stem to pivot at the grip- which is a natural balance point. That is, there is less felt weight even though the CTX is heavier than the E-Trac. The net effect: it is easier to manipulate and there is less torque on the arm - which is less tiring.

Both the CTX and E-Trac are low freq machines and are going to be silver sensitive - which if you are a coin hunter is a plus. They both have great TID at depth - though the CTX has a slight advantage there. The CTX may gain 1/2" to 1" more accurate TID depth over the E-Trac, depending on soil characteristics.

If you are going to buy an FBS machine - it would make sense to get a used CTX rather than a new E-Trac, both run about the same price. If you don't need the TID and just want to know if a target is non-ferrous or ferrous at depth, there are cheaper solutions.

Don't forget wireless, waterproof, target trace and Gone Huntings settings on the Minelab CTX 3030 making that thing come ALIVE! Those are pretty major deals.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen guys me and my cousin detect almost everyday, and I want to share this little story with you fellas and LADIES on an incident that happened to me when I first got my ctx! Before it I was using a dfx an etrac and an atpro, I got my ctx and first thing I did was hit print on the manual after I ordered the machine! I think I read my manual 3 times before it was ever delivered and I'm glad I did! So my cousin and I are at this old 1800's house and he hits an iffy target and digs using his atpro.. Turns out to be a barber, now mind you I'm running wide open in combined ferrous coin, and he tells me to go over the iffy before digging and tell him what I think! Long story short the ctx misses the target or so I think! In was just a silent hit!!! NO AUDIO BUT IT DID VDI!!! you need to understand your machine if you read nothing else in your manual read your target separation stuff beginning on page 41! Quick rundown in ferrous-coin it allows you to hear multiple targets under the coil....IN THEORY... But it doesn't always work,, which is why I use my own type of reverse hunting technique!! In HIGH TRASH target separation your machine will cancel out most large rejected targets and hit on the smaller target that's accepted IE big piece of iron (rejected) laying a 1/4 inch from a standing liberty half dollar (accepted) most machines might miss this type of masking!! How ever by hunting your site in combined mode ferrous coin wide open your running a type of clean up, your going through (WITH A SLOW SWING SPEED) and picking up and digging all of your good signals and even iffys!!!! Now reverse hunt switch your machine into your favorite jewelry coin disc pattern and into combined high trash and even slower work you site a second time In atleast 2 direction 4 if you have the time!!! Folks I guarantee you you will 96% of the time if you do it correctly grab 96% of the great or good items and extract them from your soil!!! READ YOUR MANUALS!! Get time behind your machine that's why you paid the money you paid to have the best! But you have to learn how to use it! If you have any other questions for me check out my videos on you tube I have 5 releasing this week!! I hope this helps someone!!

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm like that kid Ralphie on Christmas Story who has been lusting after a Red Ryder BB gun for a LONG time. Obviously it's a matter of having the dollars to buy one...but all of the bells and whistles on that machine match most of what I've been looking for in a detector.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm like that kid Ralphie on Christmas Story who has been lusting after a Red Ryder BB gun for a LONG time. Obviously it's a matter of having the dollars to buy one...but all of the bells and whistles on that machine match most of what I've been looking for in a detector.

You'll detect your eye out!

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll detect your eye out!

Hahaha.. The price is a lot, no doubt. I partially funded mine selling off old equipment, and a bit on a credit card - long since paid off. I don't look back with any regrets.... Of course if you look around you will get a lot better price than retail...

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When your ready to purchase let me know I've got a few brand new for 2200.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread