Etrac vs Explorer SE Pro

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
I've never used a Minelab so I'm asking for opinions. I've always heard how good they are for finding silver and I'm wanting to upgrade to a machine with good depth to locate silver coins but want to stay as simple as possible, not interested in connecting to PC for downloads etc. Is there a big difference in performance between X terra-705, Explorer SE Pro and Etrac?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an opinion ah the deus xp is pretty fun & easy machine to use inly time u need to use a pc is for updates which arent all the time its very very quick in recovery time very good in trashy áreas to depth is awesome not to mention it comes in at 1.9 lbs so u can swing it all day Long and then some then the not one wire at all makes taking it places very easy. Its not much more then the etrac & u may b able to find a used one they r múltiple freqency plenty of programs,& u can make ur own as well, if u do decide on the etrac if u wouldnt mind letting me know on what u think I have a thing for kinda collecting detectors lol good luck

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used a Minelab so I'm asking for opinions. I've always heard how good they are for finding silver and I'm wanting to upgrade to a machine with good depth to locate silver coins but want to stay as simple as possible, not interested in connecting to PC for downloads etc. Is there a big difference in performance between X terra-705, Explorer SE Pro and Etrac?

Everyone I talked to said go with the Etrac. I was thinking about the Safari since SE. Is discontinued. It's all the land detector you will ever need. I'm not sure ill ever download from Internet either, but the more I investigate that feature I may want to. Also if you look at SE Pro's for sale in used market most say "moving up to Etrac" good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh u guys really making me wanna,go try and find a deal on a used one, one of my main reasons I do buy em is cuz I dont know alot of people around me WHO detect so only way to try it is to buy it

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If keeping it lightweight and simple is the objective, then my vote goes to the 705.

I have both the 705 and an Explorer SE, and I put a lot of time on both of them. They are very different by the virtue of their respective technologies, but the ability of running very low frequency is what gives both machines the upper hand when hunting copper, silver, or other high conductors. The FBS machines (E-trac/Explorer/Safari) are all able to utilize 2.5kHz, and the Xterra 705/505 can run 3kHz coils. When you consider George Payne's research showed that silver dimes responded best to 2.7kHz, then it's easy to understand why both machines can kill on copper and silver.

Where the FBS machines have an advantage also contrubutes to a noticable difference in weight. Being a multi-freq machine, that delivers as much information to the user as the Explorer and E-trac do, a lot of power is required. But with that power comes fast processors and the ability to see lower conductors like nickels at the same time you're looking for silver and copper. The E-trac is the fastest of the FBS units, and it has programming that enables it to try to "normalize" good targets to the 12 line, which is an especially nice feature for coin shooters
With the Xterra a coil change is necessary for best results on nickels. Fortunately it has that option with the 18.75kHz coils, which also work extremely well on gold.

As far as depth goes, I see little if any difference in ability given roughly equivalent coil size and configuration in my ground(s). I often hit sites with six or more setups between the two machines, but the 705 is my "go to" machine. It's fast, light, has GB Tracking and GB Tracking Offset, has Pinpoint ID and Pinpoint Sizing, has auto Noise Cancel, choice of 1,2,3,4,or 29 ID tones, has Prospecting Mode w/adjustable Iron Mask, and has Beach Mode. It can be turn-on-and-go if you want, or be complicated and more flexible if you choose to tweak it or experiment.

Bottom line is that there are no bad machines on your short list. I'm not a fan of the Safari though, but that's because it doesn't deliver enough more information to the user than the 705 to justify the weight.
Really, you just need to decide what features are important to you and buy the machine that most closely fits the bill.

OP
OP
kickit

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Wow Longhair, thanks for the detailed information that is what I was asking for. Anytime in doubt ask on T-net!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If keeping it lightweight and simple is the objective, then my vote goes to the 705.

I have both the 705 and an Explorer SE, and I put a lot of time on both of them. They are very different by the virtue of their respective technologies, but the ability of running very low frequency is what gives both machines the upper hand when hunting copper, silver, or other high conductors. The FBS machines (E-trac/Explorer/Safari) are all able to utilize 2.5kHz, and the Xterra 705/505 can run 3kHz coils. When you consider George Payne's research showed that silver dimes responded best to 2.7kHz, then it's easy to understand why both machines can kill on copper and silver.

Where the FBS machines have an advantage also contrubutes to a noticable difference in weight. Being a multi-freq machine, that delivers as much information to the user as the Explorer and E-trac do, a lot of power is required. But with that power comes fast processors and the ability to see lower conductors like nickels at the same time you're looking for silver and copper. The E-trac is the fastest of the FBS units, and it has programming that enables it to try to "normalize" good targets to the 12 line, which is an especially nice feature for coin shooters
With the Xterra a coil change is necessary for best results on nickels. Fortunately it has that option with the 18.75kHz coils, which also work extremely well on gold.

As far as depth goes, I see little if any difference in ability given roughly equivalent coil size and configuration in my ground(s). I often hit sites with six or more setups between the two machines, but the 705 is my "go to" machine. It's fast, light, has GB Tracking and GB Tracking Offset, has Pinpoint ID and Pinpoint Sizing, has auto Noise Cancel, choice of 1,2,3,4,or 29 ID tones, has Prospecting Mode w/adjustable Iron Mask, and has Beach Mode. It can be turn-on-and-go if you want, or be complicated and more flexible if you choose to tweak it or experiment.

Bottom line is that there are no bad machines on your short list. I'm not a fan of the Safari though, but that's because it doesn't deliver enough more information to the user than the 705 to justify the weight.
Really, you just need to decide what features are important to you and buy the machine that most closely fits the bill.

The Etrac is heavy and I don't really care for large size of handgrip. I'm still reading manual trying to wrap my head around it! I feel it will give me plenty of room to "grow" in detecting experiences.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my question right now.

I am on the hunt for and E-Trac but some great deals seem to available for SE Pro's

I am wanting to gather as much info as I can on the difference in these two detectors!

I know the E-Trac has some advantages kinda like stated above (the TTF and better algorithms ... not sure what these are yet) .... but is there a lot that constitutes a couple hundred dollar extra premium?

I like the larger screen ... I like the better menus and I like how you can see the FE/CO Numbers of the items AND the Smartfind meter graph at the same time ... plus there is SOOO much more info available and videos on the E-Trac which is a plus for a new guy.

If you have used both of these in the past or present can you please chime in on your thoughts about these two machines and what sets them apart and the Pros and Cons of each.

Thanks again for all the great help guys! :)

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Etrac for me. I agree with Longhair on the lightness of the 705, that is a nice feature and I do wish the etrac was as light.
I mainly hunt beaches so depth is really important. Stuff gets down deep quick. The Etrac is probably neck and neck with the SE pro on depth but it seperates better and it gets several inches deeper than my 705.

Also the Etrac is often referred to as a silver magnet but it sure works great on gold also, very good on gold.

I don't use programs either, just a little iron disc and keep the sens as high as I can. The absolute best performing detector Ive ever owned and Ive owned quite a few.

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I now have an E-trac to compliment my 705 and the weight difference is not that substantial.

Last edited:

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I now have an E-trac to compliment my 705 and the weight difference is not that substantial.

Well the E-Trac weighs 4.8 lbs. - and the X-Terra 705 weighs 2.9 lbs.

I think you just work out to much and are to buff to tell!!! :tongue3:

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I really do not notice too much of a difference and am running the stock coil....I am guessing it has to do with how well balanced it is....when I first put it together and held it I was blown away because I knew ahead of time how much heavier it is than the 705....seriously to me not much difference at all ....during a 2 and a half hour hunt it did not bother me at ...I even bought the detector pal or buddy sling beforehand and have not used it once so far.

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Hated the V shaped arm cuff but replaced it with an Anderson made one....big difference... the stock one was oddly shaped and not comfortable at all, plus it flexed and bent during swings.

OP
OP
kickit

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Appreciate all the shared knowledge, I ended up in July getting an Etrac and so far like it....all I need now is more time to use it!!

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Appreciate all the shared knowledge, I ended up in July getting an Etrac and so far like it....all I need now is more time to use it!!

Good for you! Great machine! 7I do not have mine anymore.... Almost bought a CTX 3030 but went with the Deus.... Anyway get yourself the Ultimate coil..... To me it's a must have for the E-trac.... I would not own one without it!

OP
OP
kickit

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Good for you! Great machine! 7I do not have mine anymore.... Almost bought a CTX 3030 but went with the Deus.... Anyway get yourself the Ultimate coil..... To me it's a must have for the E-trac.... I would not own one without it!
I've heard all good about the Deus and it is for sure light and versatile. Have you been able to make a comparison between it and the Etrac?

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I've heard all good about the Deus and it is for sure light and versatile. Have you been able to make a comparison between it and the Etrac?

I have only been out a few tikes with it so far... I loved my E-trac bjt it was painfully slow...as far as weight the E-trac did not bother me like it does some people but the Deus is definitely way way lighter and that's nice. I love the fact it telescopes closed so its real easy to transport. I am still learning the machine but it is definitely different than the E-trac but so far I love it. The settings are very easy to use and the ways tou can set it up seem almost limitless.It is so versatile it just keeos amazing me..... Once I get more time on it I will report back but as of now I know I made the right choice.... I did not like the nulling the E-trac had. The vdi is not as accurate by far or as stable as fbs but I believe this can and will be dealt with booefulky next firmware update.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyway get yourself the Ultimate coil..... To me it's a must have for the E-trac.... I would not own one without it!

When you're saying "Ultimate coil", which coil is that?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very informative thread!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread