Minelab Explorer Discontinued...What Now!?

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a diehard explorer user for many many years...I'm a little lost as to where to go now. I know I can continue to purchase used explorers for quite a few years...and probably on the cheap...however it seems perhaps now is the time to change....it's the end of an era.

The Etrac (never used one) seems like it's not of the explorer family but it's an option. Other machines I am considering are the 3030 and the XP Deus.

Any explorer users in the same boat?! What is your plan??

Any thoughts from former explorer users now using one of the above units?

Thanks

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't speak for the ctx or any other minelabs I've yet to use one, however I do use a deus xp & wow it is the lightest machine out there,folds up to like nothing, no wires at all huge + coming from my v3i with an attached sunray probé also its supposably the quickest in responce then any other to lots of great things another would b they have upgrades that r very easy to do unlike other companies that u have to pay for an upgrade & send it in, also make ur own programs lots u can do with the deus xp great machine

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-Trac all the way!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They discontinued the SE Pro which is the middle of the "Explorer" series, they still make the Safari and the Etrac so you aren't really out in the cold. Both the Safari and Etrac use the same FBS technology of your beloved Explorer, and both are fine machines.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently use a 13 year old explorer xs that still works like new. When or if it ever quits I'll get another explorer of some sort.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have both a XS and a II,so I'm good for awhile.I've seen the CTX in action and it looks like a winner but the price tag makes me gasp!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will stick with buying used explorers for now. I know the machine so well and have been swinging a version of explorer or another for nearly 10 years. I've tried many machines over the years and always went back, I'm sure I'd do the same with something else.

Although I haven't used one myself I know guys who have them and the Safari isn't in the same league as the explorer. From speaking with many of the old school explorer guys I know the E-Trac is a little different and more of a dumbed down version of an explorer...and not a better performer. Who knows. I do know I've found a pile of great finds with the explorer in sites that have been pounded for 20 years...so why change.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because Minelab has discontinued the Explorer doesn't mean they want repair them.... Any Explorer sold this year still comes with a warranty so they will be repairing them for years to come..... If you know someone with an ETrac you might ask to borrow one just to test drive..... You might be surprised.... Just a thought.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder why they discontinued it?

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I just upgraded to an explorer se from an ace 250, I like it a lot but I think I'll be learning how to get the best results for a while, exiting to have a new machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder why they discontinued it?

99% chance the reason was because sales of explorer had fallen too low. Right or wrong, with Etrac and CTX 3030 I bet sales of explorer had tumbled, this was reason the Sovereign line was discontinued....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you love the model that much, buy a brand new one at the discontinued price and put it back in the closet for when your current one dies.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you love the model that much, buy a brand new one at the discontinued price and put it back in the closet for when your current one dies.

I still have a few left! Giving away free Minelab Pro-Find 25 with them as well! ;)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the EXP II, Etrac, and CTX-3030. They are all Minelabs. I did not buy the SE it did not impress me as an upgrade from the EXP II, just a newer coil, so I upgraded the coil (used for $150). Similar, but not. Each adds to the previous, but all work well. If you like the Exp SE you will like the Etrac. If you can afford the CTX-3030 you will like it.

Ed D.

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I posted on this thread a few weeks ago after I got my se pro and free pinpointer , now I'm hooked , awesome machine and the pin pointer ain't bad either

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noticed they have dropped another 100.00....If I had waited another two weeks I could have saved another hundred. lol

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a ctx and DEUS comparison video up on my you tube channel 502petrie check it out

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Join the band wagon

ColonialDude

Join the band wagon... The XS is not being repaired any longer, and the II and SE are next... The SE Pro is where I up graded from the SE, ann enjoy hunting with that one a lot. I recently came on a good buy on an E-Trac, which consist of learning a whole new language in the Mine Lab family of detectors, but to go even further, the CTX 3030 is a detector to contend with from the family. Although it still has a few bugs, like over heating on a hot summer day. To the GPS acting up, by asking to be connected to a computer for an up grade. But, all in all, I will be up grading to the CTX 3030 because, one... It's water proof, no longer do have to worry if water is going to get into your E-Trac, or SE Pro. Two, you don't need to have two detectors at the beach, and Three, the CTX has a load of options that will help you find more treasure.

I believe that Mine lab will soon be breaking out with another great machine, perhaps a PI with a good set of discrimination filters to get those real deep coins, gold, relics, caches. let's face it... The parks have been placing fill dirt at least 12 to 16" inches as I found at a lagoon I hunt at. After Sandy, I notice from the erosion that I was eye balling barbers and that the original brown soil had at least 12' of fill dirt on top. So, I did an experiment... going at a sails pace, I dug some very deep coins at, at least 10+ inches, some indians and silver, not to mention the farbs, hair pins, lip stick cases, and old square nails... So, yes... we need to move on with the times, but the XS and Mind Lab II are still some awesome detectors in the right hands and the right programs. I hope other agree, because this is just my two cents having used all of the Mine lab dtetectors except for the CTX, which is next on the XMas list...LOL. HH every one... Oh.... remember this... and I have encountered it many a time, that's why my approach to hunting an area has changed. How many time have you hunted in one direction and got no signal, yet, you come back at another angle, and bam, you get a good signal... Got my first Gold Coin that way, and many other nice finds... Miss by an inch and you miss by a mile.

Philo NY

As a diehard explorer user for many many years...I'm a little lost as to where to go now. I know I can continue to purchase used explorers for quite a few years...and probably on the cheap...however it seems perhaps now is the time to change....it's the end of an era.

The Etrac (never used one) seems like it's not of the explorer family but it's an option. Other machines I am considering are the 3030 and the XP Deus.

Any explorer users in the same boat?! What is your plan??

Any thoughts from former explorer users now using one of the above units?

Thanks

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread