Explorer depth

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
Just bought the explorer se pro , was a great deal and I love it but don't seam to get much depth for coins, would I get better depth with an after market coil , I notice a lot of people use the butterfly coil and there's a number of options including a consentric , the discrimination is much improved over my old one but I'm only finding modern coins

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that all that's in the area you're hunting? How do you know you're not getting much depth and how much are you getting?

OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I've been searching a home site that dates to 1840 and only getting modern coins, I did a bench test and coins are only picked up at about 4-5 inches

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the places I've thought would be the best have produced nothing old at all. Next time you find a target 5 to 6 inches in the ground turn down your sensitivity until it goes away. Mine will hit that deep on 1. There might be deep old coins there that will require you to go really slow and really listen for the right tone ID won't be the same as shallow coins but once you learn how deep coins sound and id it will be on like donkey kong.

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to hijack but do the explores have any depth reading on the screen? Ir do you just have to learn how to tell by ear?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something is wrong if it will only airtest at 4-5" You are testing quality metals? (older coins)

Best to airtest where there's not much interference, so when you do it, use man. sense because it will give you an idea what you're dealing with. That said, the first thing you need to do is a factory reset as these detectors can get a glitch and still work, but not close to their capability. If that gives no improvment, we start looking at other things.

OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I think auto sensitivity cuts down on depth, getting use to manual seems a challenge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think auto sensitivity cuts down on depth, getting use to manual seems a challenge

Auto would only cut it down that much if there was trash or maybe ground minerals. In average ground/conditions you'd be hard pressed to find many targets with man. that you wouldn't be able to hear in auto.

OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I've been given permission to hunt an old carnival ground that hasn't been used for 15yrs so I'll see how that go's

OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
I finally figured out the depth and now getting great depth , just not sure why rusty old nails give the same signal as a coin until out if the ground , then they are discriminated out

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you find wrong?

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark, I don't know what he did but I had a very similar problem with my etrac {which I consider VERY close to the explorer if not the same}..Anyway, I switched coils { to an sef 12x10] and all of the sudden It couldn't hardly find anything 2 inches deep..I was perplexed to say the least..I done a master reset , like Ironpatch is advising him to do, and WHAMM, BAMMM!! Im cooking again..
I don't know what or why but the reset worked..I guess it was a glitch of some sort in the software..

scott

OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
What did you find wrong?

There's a learning curve on theses machines, I bought the (Explorer &E-trac handbook) by Andy Sabisch and it explains every setting in great detail and shares the setups of the pros different situations, the big difference for me was switching to manual sensitivity and adjusting it according to the ground your hunting , the fast and deep settings should be on in most situations, the book is very helpful and you can get it cheap on amazon or eBay , I've been practicing in my yard (200 yr old ) house and found my first Indian head the other day about 8" , going to try a silver setup next

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Sabisch book is a must. I read it till I knew my Explorer inside out. I stay in a test garden till I get a good feel for any machine before I take it out hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you figured it out as they should (and do) get some amazing depth in most ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread