cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing over 5" away?? Not even and aluminum can, trash can lid, automobile? If so, something is wrong with the detector.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I never have tried to metal detect in the air. :laughing7: Seriously, air test give you a fairly good indication of the ID numbers you should get but a depth test is better done in the ground. There are a lot of factors that go into finding metal in the ground that you don,t see in the air.

Ed D.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time I see gold and silver floating in the air I will let you know...

I'm more interested in how deep mine goes in the ground under extreme ground conditions.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know where you guys are from but I have gold rings and silver dollars floating around all over the place. Ha ha just kidding. But just what I was thinking was that you should get the most depth with the least amout of interference from the dirt. But now that I think about it. These things are made to detect in the ground so that's how they should be tested.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yup you just answered your own question. Air tests are totally different. The ground plays a big factor in the object your detector goes over. It amplifies a target more around dense matter than just air. So you can retrieve targets at greater depths. When the ground is moist or after a rain, its the best time to detect.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air test serve one purpose, to show you the machine works. Headphones will help, put the coil right on the ground and go slow and low. A good GB will make a difference too. You have a couple of different coils that will make you perform better too. You should get more than 5" inches on a air test. Call the manufacture.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there are a million other factors to consider while in the field, but I was curious how my explorer would do on an air test. I couldn't get it to pick anything up past 5 in. As soon as I hit 5in the tone just totally disappears. Any advice? Is this normal results or should I be getting better?
Probably normal. It depends on the coil and the sensitivity settings. That is what mine does with the 8 inch Minelab coil.
A explorer goes deepest in undisturbed ground.

Roy

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably normal. It depends on the coil and the sensitivity settings. That is what mine does with the 8 inch Minelab coil.
A explorer goes deepest in undisturbed ground.

Roy

Good post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread