AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come u dont like the sand shark I heard it was a pretty hard machine to beat out there

OP
OP
R.Danneskjold

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my sand shark and I love my pro..........I hear a lot about a few of the Minelab machines and would like to know more and hopefully compare with people that have used all 3.....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Sand Shark and AT Pro. Would never go back! Keep the shark if able and try a ML. You will not be disappointed!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Fletch. Keep the Sand Shark and add either an Excalibur if you plan on surf hunting or an E-trac (or Sovereign, Explorer) for wet and dry sand. The advantages are discrimination and target I.D. and depth readings on the Explorer and E-trac. If you have a beach with lots of iron targets, the Sand Shark can drive you crazy. Being able to ignore the iron sure makes the sand a fun place again.

OP
OP
R.Danneskjold

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm leaning towards adding one I think......now I'm wondering what to get. I'll probably keep the shark and the pro. Both have been good to me for sure. I really like the pro on land. The shark for snorkelling and a Minelab for the in between wet sand low tide stuff......etrac then? What do you guys figure?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sovereign up to thigh high water. Just un-Velcro it from your waist and tighten strap and its chest mounted. First thing I put on GT was rubber boots on switches and I always put a gallon ziplock bag over control before sliding it in hip mount bag. Then zip tie bag closed around coil cable.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real advantage to the Minelab's is the ability to sound off on a gold ring with an railroad spike on top of it. You can not hear the iron but it will sound off on the ring. Other detectors can disc out the iron too, but the ring would also be masked out.

The Excel is the one for you if you want to play in the water at all. The Sov GT is great on the dry and wet sand, but I wouldn't take a chance on getting my GT wet. I fall down a lot......:laughing7:

Good Luck,
Sandman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards adding one I think......now I'm wondering what to get. I'll probably keep the shark and the pro. Both have been good to me for sure. I really like the pro on land. The shark for snorkelling and a Minelab for the in between wet sand low tide stuff......etrac then? What do you guys figure?

Well I probably would go with Excal mounted on a decent straight shaft. You don't have to worry about falling if in the shallow surf or waves splashing up on machine. I've found myself in holes right next to 1st drop that we're waist deep with the GT up around my neck. When your up on wet sand with GT and you find that deep drop just right off waters edge, its too tempting not to step out into it looking for goodies. :). If you went with Etrac you may throw rocks at the Pro for land hunting. I am just too worried about sand and salt to carry Etrac to beach. There are many guys using them across the pond for beach hunting though with really good results, from what I've seen on Minelab owners forum.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll need to decide if you're going to use the new machine more on land or in the water. If money isn't a problem, get them both! I love both machines myself. I use the E-trac all the time at the beach if I don't plan on going out into the water. I was there just today and found 2 rings with it. A 14K gold ring around a fire ring (that's a challenge, believe me!) and a silver ring at the blanket line. I'm glad I used the E-trac at the fire ring as the Excalibur would not be as good a choice for that with all the nails and other junk present. It helps to have multiple coils, a variety of adjustments, a visual display, and a depth meter for those difficult hunts.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda that just have me an idea of a camping spot on a beach with fire reminants! Etrac may have to go breathe the salt air anyway!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What seemed to work best for me was: small coil (I used the 5X10 Coiltek Joey), 2 tone ferrous in an open screen, and work the coil REAL slow....I mean at a snail's pace. You should be able to pick out each target that way or at least get multiple bouncy hits if the targets are right next to each other. The 2 tone ferrous helps you ignore all the nails and just listen for the "good" signals.....unless you're looking for iron! If so, you're on your own! If there are so many nails that the machine nulls even with the smallest coil, bring a heavy garden rake, attach a few big magnets to it, and run it over the infected areas to relieve the overload and then try again. If there is a fire ring and it's got steel reinforcement inside, you may have to hand sift the sand next to it and/or rake the sand away to an area where there is no interference. The ideal way to do fire pits and rings is to use a skip loader or back hoe and run everything through a classifier but those in charge of the beaches down here are party poopers and won't let you do that! :censored:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a 6x8 sef just haven't used it much yet. The separations so good with stock coil I haven't needed it yet.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a 6x8 sef just haven't used it much yet. The separations so good with stock coil I haven't needed it yet.

If its anything like a v3i sef ull have lots of pro's i was really liking my stock 10dd then switched to sef coils 6x8,10x12,12x15 all three very impresive great in EMI power lines in Woods very little interfeirence, great separation,depth is second to none awesome coils wish I could run em on all my detectors

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac is quite different than V3i They see through iron infested sites better and don't take a Phd to setup and run. I have a friend with V3i and he's been converted recently!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac is quite different than V3i They see through iron infested sites better and don't take a Phd to setup and run. I have a friend with V3i and he's been converted recently!

I realize there different I was trying to sau that if the sef coils were as good as using thrm.on other machines then ull have a great time, as of the v3i u dont need to adjust everytime its got plenty of programs out thst box thst makes it run real hot, no one needs a phd to run it, mayb if u get deep into making changes. But hey people are different some require mode Advanced machines & some more of turn on & go. Theres a machine for everyone out there just a matter of finding which one it is

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The real advantage to the Minelab's is the ability to sound off on a gold ring with an railroad spike on top of it. You can not hear the iron but it will sound off on the ring. Other detectors can disc out the iron too, but the ring would also be masked out.

The Excel is the one for you if you want to play in the water at all. The Sov GT is great on the dry and wet sand, but I wouldn't take a chance on getting my GT wet. I fall down a lot......:laughing7:

Good Luck,
Sandman

Great post as always!

OP
OP
R.Danneskjold

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you guys think of the ctx 3030? I'm thinking we will step a bit.....I'm looking at a 3030 for the wading/wet/salt and my 12 year old getting a minelab for same thing. Lots of money these things but they sound like they are worth the stretch. Appreciate all the advice thus far

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind if wishing I had bought one. I opted for Etrac and Excal ll because of the leak issues on CTX. Many say its operator error, but there's just been too many for that to be so. Several of leakers have been posted by experienced water hunters that know how to maintain their equipment. I have seen testimonials from 30-40 year hunters praising the 3030's capabilities on depth and target separation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread