Opinions on the X-terra lineup

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't see a lot of threads for the X-terra line, so I wanted to get some opinions on them from some actual users. Pros and cons I guess you could say! I am upgrading from a Garrett 350 soon and I'm leaning heavily towards the AT Pro but I always like to see what other options are out there first so...

FYI, this is not an attempt to start a brand war, It just seems that the higher end Minelabs are more favorable if that makes sense. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I'll say, is that I'll never be without my 705, regardless of what other machines I might have. It's that good.

OP
OP
marh415

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To make even more tempting is the free Pro Find till the end of the month!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To make even more tempting is the free Pro Find till the end of the month!
In that case, get the dual coil package. :icon_biggrin:
Give Bart a call. He is pretty flexible in his package deals to forum members, and was Minelab's U.S. dealer of the year. ::)

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't see a lot of threads for the X-terra line, so I wanted to get some opinions on them from some actual users. Pros and cons I guess you could say! I am upgrading from a Garrett 350 soon and I'm leaning heavily towards the AT Pro but I always like to see what other options are out there first so...

FYI, this is not an attempt to start a brand war, It just seems that the higher end Minelabs are more favorable if that makes sense. Thanks! :thumbsup:

The X-Terra is an excellent metal detector. Besides my White's Coinmaster 3900/D I got like 20 years ago, the 705 was my first real metal detector. I've had it since March and have found some great stuff. I'm by far no expert on the machine, but I feel like I can understand what it's saying to me. I use the 18.75 kHz 6in DD and the 10in 7.5 kHz DD and it goes plenty deep.
The nice thing about the X-Terra is that it runs very stable and quite. I've never had a problem with EMI or any such erratic behavior. Pinpointing is easy and accurate and the option to use PP accuracy and PP sizing is extremely valuable. I always use the PP sizing mode if I'm unsure if I have a junk target. The sound will always be broad and much larger than a coin size target. Prospecting mode really helps in open fields and the use of iron mask is great. The tone nulls or drops out when you hit an iron target in iron mask, so you'll know if it's junk. The tones are great and it's just a fun MD to use.
I'm no master of the machine yet, but I'm digging less junk now. I always dig solid repeatable signals. Even pulltab signals and foil signals. Foil will always ring in at a solid 4 and sometimes 2. But I like to dig everything just to test myself and gain confidence in what the machine is telling me. I'm currently in the market for a nice second detector to compliment my 705, but I'll never part with my 705.
Longhair is the 705 guru. He'll answer any questions you'll have better than I can.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I'll say, is that I'll never be without my 705, regardless of what other machines I might have. It's that good.

Coming from a 705 expert like yourself this post means a lot!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any input on the X-terra 505 would be appreciated. I think I've narrowed down my choices to this model.I will hardly ever use a detector on the beach so I'm mostly looking for relics and coins. Are these detectors fairly easy to use for someone with not a lot of experience? I liked the display on these detectors,big and easy to use as well as the + and - buttons,it seems fairly uncomplicated.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any input on the X-terra 505 would be appreciated. I think I've narrowed down my choices to this model.I will hardly ever use a detector on the beach so I'm mostly looking for relics and coins. Are these detectors fairly easy to use for someone with not a lot of experience? I liked the display on these detectors,big and easy to use as well as the + and - buttons,it seems fairly uncomplicated.

Read the book on Minelab's website and manual. The xterra is easy to use...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can go back a few years...The X-70 now the 705was my detector choice for almost 6 years. That's the longest I've used any brand. Coming from an Explorer SE it was easy for me to understand what the machine was trying to tell me. However, I let a friend use it and he was very comfortable with it as a first time user. The sweeeeet sound that X gives out on silver is well...sweet.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an X Terra 505 and I think it's an awesome machine! Great depth even with the stock coil. The 6" coil 7.5 khz finds clad dimes at 7-8" in my area. The multi tones option makes it very good in trash. It will pull good targets out of trash very well, once you learn the nuances of the multi tones. I found a Chinese coin pre-1908 in a pretty trashy old home site as well as a tax token from the 1930's and some other goodies. Lotsa iron, zinc and aluminum trash in this area. I don't feel the need to 'upgrade' to anything else at this point. I feel with the right coils the 505 will do everything I would need it to. Very user friendly controls/menu as well. I was torn between the 505 & the F5. The ability to change frequencies by changing coils gives you many options to suite different hunting preferences, so that's what lead me to the 505. IMO, you can't go wrong with a Minelab.

Last edited:

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a cheap metal detector over 15 years ago. I mostly played with it in the yard because it went off for everything even different grass types in he lawn seemed to set it off. I lost my wedding band a few times and used that detector to find it so it did pay for itself. I out that detector away and pulled it out a few times and out it back. I was bitten and had the detecting bug and finally got my 705 this past January. I had little luck as our ground here froze solid this year. Once the ground thawed, i had some finds but mostly junk.
I finally found a club. I sent an email, made a couple phone calls and went to the meeting and joined. One of the club members went to a park with me and went over the proper way to dig a plug ( i didnt know i was doing it wrong,) explained a little to me about coins flat and on edge and a few other tips. As i was using my detector he would call me over to show me so,ething or come over to help me or explain something.
This made a big difference and i started to find coins and medallions for the school we were near. I went out several times and had about the same luck or a little less, but i was still having fun. Finally i had so,e time to read a little more about my maching and started to change so,e settings and bam things were popping up all over. I went to a local tot lot the other day and after an hoe i was tired of pulling coins out of the wood mulch they use in the playgrounds. I have started to find jewelry and am trying to get out every day now.
With the 705 detecting seems like a completely new hobby to me compared to what i had before. The only negative i have seen with this machine so far is that it isnt water proof, but i knew that going into the purchase.
Gerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread