New Xterra 705 Owner

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I've been using a 705 for about a month now and all of my finds have been shallow (within 3-4 inches). I have 2 other brands of MD's, and both of the other 2 machines seem to find coins at greater depths than the 705. I've watched MAL's videos on the setup for the 705 and run my machine with similar settings, but still the deeper targets elude me.The other day, after performing the auto ground balance, I checked the GB setting and found it set at 11 which, from what I've read indicates high mineralization. Based on this new information, I ordered the MF 10.5 DD coil.Do you guy's think the 10.5 DD will help me find the deeper coins? Any suggestions and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new machine! I've been really looking at the 705 and the AT Pro the past few weeks, especially with the free Pro Find special with the 705! Unfortunately it was a little out of my price range and the Pro was hard to turn down with what I had to spend and the features it comes with! Good luck with your new machine!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil do you have on now?
Do you run with GB Tracking on?
Assuming you have the US stock 9" MF CC, the you could see the GB numbers double. The DD is looking at a much narrower patch than the CC, so the machine has less to compensate for. That will equate to more depth.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can assure you the 705 will go deeper...

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair,
Yes I have been using the stock 9" MF CC. I haven't been running GB tracking until just recently. You had recommended it in one of your posts that I read, so I've been using it every since.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How about where your sensitivity is set? I have the dd coil on mine and love it! Get that coil!

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dieselram94,
I usually run my sensitivity up until it starts to chatter and then I back off two steps. I usually end up with a setting between 24-27.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dieselram94,
I usually run my sensitivity up until it starts to chatter and then I back off two steps. I usually end up with a setting between 24-27.
You have it cranked up pretty good for sure. Have you tried all metal mode?
And you have noise canceled right?

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil will make a big difference. The total volume of ground In the detection field that the 9"CC has to compensate for is greater than the total volume in the field under the 10.5" DD, so it can see deeper in tougher conditions.

I don't know why, but Minelab has bestowed the UK with the 10.5" MF DD for a stock 705 coil, while we languish with the 9" MF CC.

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have it cranked up pretty good for sure. Have you tried all metal mode?
I'll switch between all metal and coin mode pattern #4, but spend most of my time in coin. All metal is just to much audio information for me most of the time (if you know what I mean). I guess I'm still pretty much a noob, but I'm learning. Oh, and yes I run noise cancel everytime.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'll switch between all metal and coin mode pattern #4, but spend most of my time in coin. All metal is just to much audio information for me most of the time (if you know what I mean). I guess I'm still pretty much a noob, but I'm learning. Oh, and yes I run noise cancel everytime.
Sounds like your setting it up pretty well. I assume you are swinging it at a fairly slow speed and keeping the coil even with the ground?

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your setting it up pretty well. I assume you are swinging it at a fairly slow speed and keeping the coil even with the ground?
I have to admit I used to swing pretty fast, but I've since slowed way down. Now I try maintain a 3 sec swing speed.

Well my new coil is here and I'm pretty excited to get out today to see how it does. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I spent several hours this evening with the new 10.5 MF DD coil and all I can say is what a huge difference. I hunted some ground adjacent to my property which has been pounded heavily by me, but I pulled out a quarter, several dimes and lots of pennys. At least 4 of the dimes were 7" deep (I measured). I also pulled out a ring which turned out to be fake, but I was still tickled to find it. I was also amazed how the DD coil could separate targets. I was able to hear a coin that was laying next to iron. I've never been able to hear that kind of separation before. Now I can't wait to get back out. I only wished I had bought the MF DD coil sooner.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad that it's working for you! It really is a great coil to have.
The only reason that I keep the stock 9", is for a benchmark.

Did you hapen to notice what your GB numbers were?

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad that it's working for you! It really is a great coil to have.
The only reason that I keep the stock 9", is for a benchmark.

Did you hapen to notice what your GB numbers were?
I ran the auto GB and then checked the setting, it was 17. I then turned on the auto tracking and hunted for about an hour and rechecked the setting. It was set on 38. The increase in GB made me wonder if it was balancing out any targets, but then I remembered you saying the numbers would he higher.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it balancing out targets. The range that it compensates within is well below what you're looking for. There is really little downside to running GB Tracking. And in the future, if you decide to play with the Tracking Offset feature, it obviously needs to be on.

If you do use the Offset feature, be sure to remember that the higher the number the lighter the mineralization. So if you want to "fool" the machine into thinking that the ground is milder than reality, you have to offset it by a positive ammount. In other words, if you want to run 2 points less compensation, you set the offset +2, and it adds 2 to whatever the GB actually is.

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
Don't worry about it balancing out targets. The range that it compensates within is well below what you're looking for. There is really little downside to running GB Tracking. And in the future, if you decide to play with the Tracking Offset feature, it obviously needs to be on.

If you do use the Offset feature, be sure to remember that the higher the number the lighter the mineralization. So if you want to "fool" the machine into thinking that the ground is milder than reality, you have to offset it by a positive ammount. In other words, if you want to run 2 points less compensation, you set the offset +2, and it adds 2 to whatever the GB actually is.

Love the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread