Excalibur II battery problem?

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if I have done something wrong recharging the battery pack. I have had it for a couple of months and used it quite a bit. Finally it told me the battery needed recharging. I charged it overnight and we went to the beach yesterday. We only hunted for about three hours tops. Today took it out and the battery is down again. It would not even respond to my shovel. So I brought it home and am recharging again. Is this common? I know it was recharged for at least 12 hours.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OJG,
you need the expertise of the more experienced Excal owners. They'll chime in soon, I hope.
You should be keeping your batteries charged to full capacity after every hunt, imho. Also, DO NOT charge them for too long. Like over 10 to 12 hours, as I have read that you can burn them up and have to buy a whole new battery pack. (I only charge mine 8 hours max, at a time)

I also have an electrical tester, and if I am not mistaken, you should be pulling either 12 or 16 "ohms"(is it) in juice.
I usually recharge my battery pack after every outing, or every other outing. I don't charge them once and let them run completely down. (I don't talk "tech talk" language very well either, reason I hope others will give you better instructions).
Re-read your owners manual, see if it says what I am trying to. Good luck, too!

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called Kellyco and they advised me sending it back to be checked. I noticed that I was not getting signals, or at least very very faint if I put it in the all metal mode. Also the battery pack was very hot when I was charging it. Hopefully nothing is wrong with the detector itself. Could be just the battery pack? It is on it's way so will soon see. Kellyco is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely your charger is at fault.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like there is a problem, I have had my 2 excals for years and have never had an issue with the battery. Like CAT said, recharge after every hunt. My normal hunts are 3 hours long and there is always plenty of juice left. I charge mine for 6 - 8 hours also. Please let us know what you find out from Kelly-co - Thanks!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hummm, my guess would be the battery itself. If it's getting hot while being charged, it seems to me that the charger is working fine. Sounds like it's trying to charge a battery that won't take a charge. That can make them very hot. You can put in your backup alkaline battery pack to test the detector, right?

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I am hoping it is just a battery issue. I really love this machine. Have only had it since the end of June. And No, I do not have a back up battery pack. I was hoping I would not need one. I rarely hunt more than four hours at a time. I sent it off yesterday. Will let you all know.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got my back-up Excal, It took 3 or 4 chargers, to find one that worked! They may have gotten a bad batch of them from China.
If your batteries are getting hot, then it should be charging them. My charger(s) would get hot in the wall socket, but it would not charge the batteries.
Do let us know what Kellyco comes up with on yours. Good luck!

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, got it back and they said they replaced the top portion of the battery pack. Have not tried it out yet. But will tomorrow. Soo, guess it was not the charger, but the battery pack itself?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to get an alkaline battery pod for a back up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions