locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

I recently purchased a 3030 as a pre retirement gift. I started with a Bounty Hunter Platinum (essentially a Tecknetics Gamma 6000 first cousin) with a Fisher F5 DD coil. The Platinum is a pretty good machine for the money. I found about 25wheats, 4mercs, 2rosies,a bunch of 1940s nickels and a sterling and turquoise ring in my own yard with it. Fortunate to find a few gold rings, one with a good size diamond.

First time out in my yard (which I have searched thouroughly) to check out the 3030, I found 11 more wheats and 1 rosie in a short time, in very dry conditions. It has good depth and the target trace is helpful in trashy areas. Looks like a winner.

Using stock search modes until I get more familiar with it. I'm still learning the FeCo numbers and tones to id targets All in all it seems like a good machine, I don't think I'll use the gps much, but it's there if I need it.

Will it be worth the extra $$$$$. ??????. I intend on using for a long time so it WILL pay for itself. So far so good.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely worth the money I have an AT pro a DEUS and a ctx and the ctx is by far a good machine but the DEUS is right on its heels

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Petrie,

Hear a lot of good things about the Deus. I think it comes with a concentric coil?

I switched to a DD coil early on, with my first detector, it gave me much better coverage (no need for a 50% overlap) and better depth. That being said, I hear that the Deuce has pretty amazing depth, and is near as light as a feather. That can't be said about the weight of the ctx, the weight that is!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must have quite a yard !

BTW, the Deus comes with a 9" DD as standard.

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the correction on the deus coil!

Yeh, the yard is pretty cool, a tad over 1/2 acre right in town. The house was built by a judge that my father knew years ago. There was a pond in a corner of the property, no longer there, but it is a low spot and tends to collect water in spring and during heavy rain. Most of my silver finds and older coins have been in that area. I found a very old cap gun but it was too far gone. Also found a couple of silver plated spoons, a womens wrist watch and other household items. The pond area was obviously a place the kids liked to hang out. It is really interesting to see the history of the previous owners through what's in the ground!

OP
OP
L

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the correction on the deus coil!

Yeh, the yard is pretty cool, a tad over 1/2 acre right in town. The house was built by a judge that my father knew years ago. There was a pond in a corner of the property, no longer there, but it is a low spot and tends to collect water in spring and during heavy rain. Most of my silver finds and older coins have been in that area. I found a very old cap gun but it was too far gone. Also found a couple of silver plated spoons, a womens wrist watch and other household items. The pond area was obviously a place the kids liked to hang out. It is really interesting to see the history of the previous owners through what's in the ground!

Just to clarify my findings with my BH Platinum. I found several gold rings with it, but, they were NOT found in my yard. The only ring I found in my yard was the sterling silver and turquoise.:icon_thumleft.:icon_thumleft.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will be amazed how accurate the target trace and screen indicators are on the Minelab CTX 3030. If it says its trash it most likely is. Its much easier to tell if its iron falsing or a coin hiding in trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread