Thoughts on minelab GP3000

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Well Guys, I did what I'm not suppose to do. I bought a detecter with out looking into it, researching, trying it... Ect. I just bought it. One of those deals that just happened.

A friend sold it to me with a bunch of different coils heads , bag, head phones.. All the bells and whistles.

Well just wanted to get a few quick opinions from peeps here about it.

I typically will use this in the California desert looking for ancient placer... Hope she helps me find a few nuggets. My gold bug was great but after 2 years, maybe time to step up my game...

Thanks for everyone's 2 cents

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
A standard 3000 is still very capable I have had two, main difference to the later models is it doesn't have more ways to quieten down. Best advice I can give you is don't use nugget finder coils with it (learned the hard way) except for small ones.

Use small round monos and DDs, that's the way! If you use DDs, swing speed should be no quicker than 2 seconds per foot! Ideally a little slower, and that is very slow. Otherwise the advantage a DD has over a mono doesn't come into affect. If you're not comfortable with that, use a mono.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
A standard 3000 is still very capable I have had two, main difference to the later models is it doesn't have more ways to quieten down. Best advice I can give you is don't use nugget finder coils with it (learned the hard way) except for small ones. Use small round monos and DDs, that's the way! If you use DDs, swing speed should be no quicker than 2 seconds per foot! Ideally a little slower, and that is very slow. Otherwise the advantage a DD has over a mono doesn't come into affect. If you're not comfortable with that, use a mono.

Thanks for the input brotha.. Interesting .. I'm gonna post some pics of the coils it came with soon.. A huggggge one an a few smaller ones.. Thx again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread