Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is assuming that you are using a 7.5kHz coil.
HF & LF coils will produce slightly different results due to differences in target bin segment widths.
So this is only a general guide.
updated xterra-705 tid chart apr 20110001 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Longhair do you think the same could hold true for the 505? I just got one yesterday and my present day penny rang in at around 32.I saved this picture so I can refer to it on my cell phone next time I get to go detecting.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Longhair do you think the same could hold true for the 505? I just got one yesterday and my present day penny rang in at around 32.I saved this picture so I can refer to it on my cell phone next time I get to go detecting.

Cell phones and detectors never usually play well. Best to leave them in the car.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually the 505 doesnt have a 32. A zinc penny hits at 30 for me but very corroded zincs will bounce to a 33 and sometimes down to a 27

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Coily,
Here are some key ID#s that I grabbed from Digger's ebook 'Understanding your Xterra" on the ML website.
Silver coins ID about the same as their clad counterparts.
anything 6 or above can be gold jewelry, the smaller the # generally the smaller or lighter weight the gold. I dig every solid signal (and some jumpy ones too!)at 6, and up to about 21. Anything in the 20's is almost always trash for me, but there some older coins (silver 3 cent, silver half dime) that will hit in the 20's
I dig all good numbers that jump up one number and jump down one number. I try to dig by the tones mostly and use the ID #s to help verify the target, but on the coins that aren't quite as deep, the ID#s are pretty accurate.
GOLD: 6 AND UP!!! NOTE: Small gold can be a #3. Large gold rings, etc. can ring up to the zinc (penny 27-30) range, so you have to decide yourself if you want to dig the pennies when looking for gold. I usually don't dig the zinc ones (30)
Be sure to dig all pulltab nickel signals (12- 21) to find gold rings though.
Hope this helps! Scott
1 cent zinc -30
1 cent copper 33-36
nickel 12
silver nickel 15
dime 36-39
quarter 42
half dollar 45
$1 dollar 48

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be of even more help. A quote from one of Randy's blog articles.

"To get a better idea of what you might be passing over as trash, let’s check out the conductive properties of various items some might "skip over" while detecting. Again, these numbers are based on the X-TERRA 70 and 705 TID, using the parameters of factory preset Pattern 2. Remember, as I mentioned above, TID numbers are not cast in stone.

If you are passing over targets represented by the X-TERRA 70 and the 705 with a numeric TID of +2, +4 and +6, you risk missing rose gold rings, platinum rings, white gold rings and some foreign coins.

If you are passing over targets represented with a TID of +6, +8 and +10, you risk missing more white gold rings, more platinum rings, thin yellow gold rings, lead and brass shells and the US nickel 3-cent piece.

If you set your detector to reject TID numbers +14 and +16, you will risk missing very thin silver coins, the $1.00 US Gold coin, thin yellow gold rings, Shield nickels, Liberty V nickels, 40% silver War nickels, many wedding bands, 10kt class rings, tokens and more foreign coins.

If you set your notches to reject +16, +18 and +20, you will risk missing gold rings, tokens, various gold jewelry, 14kt rings, brass, the US $2.50 Gold piece, Indian Head cents, Flying Eagle cents, more foreign coins and even large 10kt class rings.

If you rejected notch segments +20, +22, +24 and +26, you risk missing more Indian Head pennies, the US silver 3-cent piece, the US $5 Gold piece, large gold rings, small silver pieces, gold jewelry and medallions, and still more old tokens.

So there you have it. A few of the items that some of you might be passing over, in an attempt to not dig foil, pull tabs and other "trash" items. I realize that each of us has our own preferences for setting the discrimination on our detectors. I suppose you could say we are all creatures of habit. But the next time you hit that old park or picnic ground, you might want to ask yourself if you're rejecting notch segments that include targets that you wouldn’t mind digging."

Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Part 2 | Treasure Talk

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to disc anything (all metal), but sometimes I will notch 2 or 3 iron numbers. This way you can know everything that is under the coil and decide which signals you would prefer to dig. Regardless of how many tones you use, you still have all the ID#s (other than ones you have notched).

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew how to make things a sticky. Some of hue stuff longhair has posted need to be a sticky so they dont get lost.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gerry you can subscribe to a thread indefinitely by going to thread tools and hitting subscribe to this thread and yes,there are some great tips here for Minelab users.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks coils, i did subscribe but i meant for others. Longhair has so,e must read posts for others.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that Randy didn't mention in his article was sound. He was only addressing TID numbers, but sound is still the most important thing. If it "sounds" like a coin, dig it!

Of course there are other desireable targets that aren't coins, and the shape as well as the number of reflective surfaces (facetts) has it's influence on sound and TID stability. Items like chains, pendants, broaches, etc... will often sound and appear as trash, and for them the "dig all" approach will likely be the only way to not miss anything.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, i have been trying to cue in on she sounds and learn them. Some sounds just seem to jump out at me. I went to a park today that had so many targets. I will post about it later after football, but this is a park i need a few friends to help me clear out.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope you clear 'er out Gerry. I'm learning higher tones are usually better on the scale.going out myself in a bit.Love my machine!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some great info here! The Minelab X-Terra 705 is an amazing machine for the $. Long Hair and Randy are the go to people on this. I would listen to them!

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels for me usually hit at 12 on my 705. Anything 36 and above is going to be a copper penny, dime or a quarter.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread