E-Trac has started falsing

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently my E-Trac has started falsing on every swing and I can't isolate the problem. :BangHead: No cracks in the coil, nothing between coil cover and coil, coil connection is solid. I've also checked settings to see if I changed anything and all looks good there as well (ie. sensitivity, trash density, ground conditions etc.). I'm going to try a normal reset this evening, but thought I'd reach out here first to see if there's other things that would be causing the falsing. Thanks & HH

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a new area. You could have a new radio tower nearby when is creating problems, or failing electrical transformer can do it too.

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason. I thought that might have been the problem as well, but it's happening in 3 different areas I hunted last week which are nowhere near each other.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason. I thought that might have been the problem as well, but it's happening in 3 different areas I hunted last week which are nowhere near each other.

Bummer. Sounds like you may need to send it in.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried another battery or different coil?

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda - I've tried both the Nimh & RNB ML2900 to no avail. I've only got the stock coil, but am having a friend bring over his Ultimate coil to try out this weekend. I'm now wondering if my last trip to the beach had anything to do with it. Obviously just hunting the wet sand and towel lines, but with the glare on the protective cover I removed it. The electronics never got wet, but could sea spray invade the control box??

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the possible issues in order of the most likely, or at least the order to check.

Glitch - need to do a factory reset, possibly causes by the cable losing connection to the housing.

Coil - A bad coil does not have to show cracks, and they can seem to hold on for a very long time. Tap the few inches of cable wire that goes into the coil and if it falses low tone you probably have a short. I guarantee many people use coils that aren't 100% and they have no idea. Minelab coils do not last well.... at least the old style. The pro coil I really can't say.

Do you have a Sunray probe attached? A faulty switch is common (especially if it gets wet), and will make the detector false just like a bad coil.

Do you use the battery pack? They can go, I've had it happen to me. Not a likely problem but possible.

I would not think ocean spray is your problem.... more likely moisture in the coil from that environment.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Do you have a coil cover on the unit? Take it off and make sure it is clean. Remove the coil connector and make sure it is clean. I do not know how old your machine is, but over time connections can get dirty/corroded. It is amazing how many things can be fixed by inspection.

If you have to send it in, be happy with the notion that the factory will return it freshly tuned.

And get a better backup unit, that looks like quite a downgrade and I would go crazy not having an etrac for however long that takes....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't get new shoes with any metal in them did you? Steel toes? Ask me how I know! :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda - I have to agree with beerguy, that's priceless! Gotta ask the question as the answer should be entertaing as well.
You didn't get new shoes with any metal in them did you? Steel toes? Ask me how I know! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I headed straight to the beach right from work. I wanted to search at a nice low tide so I fired up the E-trac and started hunting. False signals galore! I had just used it the day before and it worked fine! Same battery, same settings, even the same beach. It was driving me crazy. After bumping the coil into my steel toed work boots and making my ear drums ring, the light bulb finally lit up and went back to the car and took my boots off. No more falsing after that! I felt like an idiot....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day I headed straight to the beach right from work. I wanted to search at a nice low tide so I fired up the E-trac and started hunting. False signals galore! I had just used it the day before and it worked fine! Same battery, same settings, even the same beach. It was driving me crazy. After bumping the coil into my steel toed work boots and making my ear drums ring, the light bulb finally lit up and went back to the car and took my boots off. No more falsing after that! I felt like an idiot....

I think we all can admit to doing this or something like this before! lol

You have another coil to swap out?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP said he has a friend with another coil to try. We're waiting for the verdict.....

OP
OP
S

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swapped out the coil and the problem went away. Changed back to stock coil and no problems either. Connection must be bad or coil is going bad as I hunted at the beach Thursday - Sunday with no problems. Strange that the falsing would just go away. Anyway, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll just wait and see if the problem eventually returns. In the meantime I think I'll be ordering a backup coil just in case.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can recommend the Coiltec WOT coil for use at the beach or large and/or trashless areas. I still find tiny rivets so no loss of small targets that I've noticed. You get some great coverage and amazing depth. Pin pointing and depth readings are a little tougher though. If you mainly hunt trashy parks, the X5 or 5X10 Joey work good for that.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cuda - I've tried both the Nimh & RNB ML2900 to no avail. I've only got the stock coil, but am having a friend bring over his Ultimate coil to try out this weekend. I'm now wondering if my last trip to the beach had anything to do with it. Obviously just hunting the wet sand and towel lines, but with the glare on the protective cover I removed it. The electronics never got wet, but could sea spray invade the control box??

YES you would be very surprised. I wear glasses and will be in the dry sand. Depending on the wind and temp my glasses will get coated with very fine spray.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread