All Treasure Hunting
The wifey has given me the green light to upgrade
...I think I was married to her once... :tongue3:

Silverfishin

Greenie
Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd never put a machine down I never tried and got a bit of a handle with.
The only thing I'd put down is the price. I see no point in dropping that type of cash on a machine unless your a serious detectorist, that has moved from parks and into caches and serious relic hunting. There are lots of people that buy big price machines and really don't need them for what they are hunting and where they are hunting.
I'd love to try a 3030 and also a Deus just to see what they're about.

I dont think you understand the CTX. I bought a CTX for ball fields, parks and beaches (coins, jewelry). I never serious relic hunt, dont like to. I bought one becuase of the multi-area machine and the advanced settings. I also have a advantage over the machines (?) that you are refering too.. In the past i had these machines..ACE250, ATpro, Etrac, SOVGT and borrowed a fisher75 a few times. Havent looked back at any of them.

The only thing that im not too fond about the CTX it is attaching it to the battery charger and digging occasional rusty iron.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my CTX3030 for only a little over a month. Up to that point I have only held a Minelab and I went from a good detector (AT Pro, Tesoro) to a serious MD overnight practically, so I don't have Etrac experience to compare it to.

I would say that the first three hunts I kind of hated the detector because I was overwhelmed. After about 9 hours into it, I started to get much better at pinpointing and getting used to the sounds. I love the CTX because the numbers are very accurate and I can fairly accurately judge my targets based upon the readings on whether it is a penny, silver or aluminium. I have also noticed that I will still find good targets right next to or below nails and junk. I also have a AT Pro and the CTX runs much quieter in my opinion. Where I used to cover an entire yard in a few minutes with the AT Pro, I can work for hours in a small area and pull a lot more coins. No doubt my finds have increased. I agree that the CTX is expensive, but you get so much more detector in the process. I am still learning my CTX and I experiment with the settings, which has also caused me to find more coins/targets in areas where I had detected many times over. I may not be "sold" on Minelab, but I definitely respect it a lot more.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the CTX because the numbers are very accurate and I can fairly accurately judge my targets based upon the readings on whether it is a penny, silver or aluminium. I have also noticed that I will still find good targets right next to or below nails and junk. I also have a AT Pro and the CTX runs much quieter in my opinion. Where I used to cover an entire yard in a few minutes with the AT Pro, I can work for hours in a small area and pull a lot more coins. No doubt my finds have increased.

Very true statement here! Glad you like it. I love mine!

davemcc

Sep 11, 2009
Brandon, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CZ-3D, CZ-5
I could'nt agree more, it is an expensive machine.

That is why if anyone is considering buying one, YOU HAVE TO BE INTO IT FOR THE ENTIRE PACKAGE.

This is one of the best explanations of putting the consideration to purchase a CTX into perspective that I have seen. Thanks locater for simplifying it.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see where bob-calgary is coming from - you buy something because you want it and if it's expensive - who cares? But then, I see someone with an expensive golf club set - and I think to myself - really? Who needs $2000 golf clubs to hit a stupid white ball into a hole?

I bought the E-Trac because it had certain strengths that other detector did not. I bought the CTX because it had certain strengths the E-Trac did not. I didn't but a cheaper detector - not because it was too cheap - but because it lacked some ability that I was looking for. Will it make any difference in the end? It does to me. Same as the guy with the titanium golf clubs - it does to him. So, I leave people to their prejudices and biases and if they see me with my CTX they can point and laugh. Don't care. When my needs change I'll drop the CTX and get something else - whatever gets the best results for my particular needs - even if it is much more costly than a Compadre. If the Compadre had the right stuff I'd use that.

Like Bob above, I would never be influenced by someone's derision - I care about quantitative performance measures. So you use your detector and I'll use mine - and may the best man (or woman) win (whatever there is to win?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread