CTX3030 why do people rage on it?

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
The wifey has given me the green light to upgrade from my MXTPRO. I've been wanting an Etrac for a while now but then I was like why not go all out and get a CTX3030. Well I was liking what I was seeing on youtube at first and then I started reading some forums. I'am not sure if people are raging on the CTX because they are jealous or what. To the people who own a CTX3030 how do you like it?.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for 6 or so months and I like it. I had an E-Trac and I liked that but my good finds have gone up with the 3030. The target id is better than the E-Trac it seems more stable to me. The wireless headphone module alone was worth the upgrade. The duel target id is great too. You can have a nail and a coin under the coil and it will id both targets accurately. The only complaint I have is that the deep targets don't sound as loud as they did with the E-trac. So if you get a good stable faint signal dig it. I haven't been in the water with it yet so I can't speak to it's water tightness.
People hated on the E-trac for years till something better came along. Now, they'll hate on the 3030 till something better comes along.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the hunters banging on the CTX3030 are doing so out of jealousy or maybe cause they can't afford one or don't see the reasoning behind paying all that money for a detector that has trouble keeping the insides dry. I don't have one yet myself because of the water tightness issues. Then of course I am not on the east coast anymore playing in the surf.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wifey has given me the green light to upgrade from my MXTPRO. I've been wanting an Etrac for a while now but then I was like why not go all out and get a CTX3030. Well I was liking what I was seeing on youtube at first and then I started reading some forums. I'am not sure if people are raging on the CTX because they are jealous or what. To the people who own a CTX3030 how do you like it?.

Skelly, watch these Minelab CTX 3030 videos and you will get an insight on why it is so good. I never though I would put my Minelab E-Trac down but it happened! ;)

Holler if you have more questions or want your to hear about the Tnet deal I have on the Minelab CTX 3030!

OP
OP
Skelly607

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
I'am looking to upgrade from my MXTPRO, Just trying to do my research before I drop that much money.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I jut bought an Etrac and Excaliber in last couple months. Really satisfied with both but have been eyeing the CTX. Thinking about selling the Etrac an going ahead with it. I've never heard anything but good reviews other than possible gasket issues.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is "raging" against the CTX? Some people like them, some people don't. That's true for any detector. If you listen to the opinions of ANYONE who has never owned or used the item they are disparaging, you have only yourself to blame for a poor choice.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion the biggest game changer the CTX brings to the table, is the multiple target ID ability. It visually SHOWS YOU the possible good target in the accepted area of discrimination along with the ferrous junk in the rejected area. Good target and ferrous junk right next to each other, it works as advertised. I have, on several occasions, pulled out a coin and nail or other ferrous junk out of the same hole, I knew before I dug, that they were both there!
The depth is also very good, it takes over where the Etrac began, in that regard.
I purchased mine with the entire package in mind, including the above, plus the shallow water submersion ability, the ability to NOT be teathered to the detector with your headphone cord, using the wireless module. The one feature I don"t anticipate using very much, is the GPS mode. It is something that certainly has it"s usefulness, more so for those hunting large fields, etc.
The one item up to this point I am not entirely happy with, is the sealing system between the battery pack and the control box. I think it could have been designed a bit better, and be a little more user friendly in terms of cleaning and maintaining. It is ok, for my very shallow water detecting, only submerging the control box occasionally. Not a deal breaker if I had to do it over.
I think the bottom line for those thinking about getting one is, think about the entire package of features when deciding. If possible, check one out in person. It is costly!! I got mine with longterm use in mind. I don't change detectors as often as I change my underwear!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion the biggest game changer the CTX brings to the table, is the multiple target ID ability. It visually SHOWS YOU the possible good target in the accepted area of discrimination along with the ferrous junk in the rejected area. Good target and ferrous junk right next to each other, it works as advertised. I have, on several occasions, pulled out a coin and nail or other ferrous junk out of the same hole, I knew before I dug, that they were both there!

This is a MAJOR advantage in my book. Those iffy targets on other machines are much clearer with the Minelab CTX 3030. When you put the "Gone Hunting" program in the CTX and learn it that way it turns the thing to a BEAST!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright I'm about to sell the E and order the 3030 if y'all keep talking!

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not brand loyal and have both the CTX and the E-Trac. In my testing, the CTX is a tad bit deeper than the E-Trac, has better target resolution, less susceptible to nulling around iron, less high tone falsing on iron, and provides more information via screen and audio tone settings. It is also better balanced - heavy - but less fatiguing. The E-Trac screen contrast was better; the CTX is washed out and difficult to discern the DISC areas and cursor position in sunlight. Also, don't care for the abrasive arm strap on the CTX. Kind of liked the menu structure on the E-Trac better too, as the CTX settings aren't as accessible via the new menu hierarchy. Toggle switch on the CTX for pinpointing is oddly placed - not ergonomic. Also, find the plastic grip on the CTX tiring to hold - would recommend some tennis racket tape wrappings to enlarge the grip and soften it. I like that the CTX is waterproof - even though I don't intend to put it underwater - it can withstand a rainstorm. Don't use the GPS much - no real need. Once I have the programs loaded in the CTX the XChange2 software doesn't get used much. The color screen is flashy but not that important - it shows color but so what. Overall though, the CTX is a better machine than the E-Trac.

I'd suggest finding one for sale in the online classifieds and give 'er a go. If after you've put 200 hours on it you find you don't like it - sell and move on. If it works for you - great. The thing is just a tool - like a cellphone or very expensive hammer. From the high praise some detectors receive some might get the impression the CTX is 'all that' and more - but I'd say it is really just an ETrac2, a bit of an upgrade. In the end, like any other detector - it has its strengths and weaknesses, things it does well and areas it doesn't. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle searching for the 'best' detector - there isn't one. Just buy it, try it, then keep or sell depending upon how it suits you - you're not married to it. As a general all-rounder, the CTX does well, especially on coins, as do a half-dozen other detectors. If you need a niche machine for gold, relics, or beaches - there are others that excel in these areas better.

Despite the hype, the only way you'll ever be sure what's in the ground is by digging it. The CTX gives more intelligent information than most other detectors in this regard (with better target ID at depth) through its tones and display (and dual cursors) - but like all detectors there's no sure bet. There's nothing magic or earth shattering about its capabilities. I can imagine some people get 'buyer's remorse' when they take to the field with high hopes and find they've purchased a detector that is only marginally better than the one they sold. The Deus, GMP, AT-Pro/Gold, T2/F75SE, G2, Omega, Vista line, Blisstool, MXT, CZs, Tesoros, and a few others are also quite capable in different ways than the Minelabs and also have shortcoming too (differently than the CTX).

The point being - just buy something in the top tier and go have fun! And if it isn't fun then get something else. I wouldn't be tossed to and fro by the various reviews and user comments - especially those dripping with hyperbole that exaggerate performance as best ever and lavish praise on how superior it is with its 'breakthrough technology' - it just ain't so. If you buy into the hype you will be disappointed. My advice: Thoughtfully consider what you really need a detector to do (in a level-headed non-emotional way) then buy the one that fulfills your needs the best.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'd never put a machine down I never tried and got a bit of a handle with.
The only thing I'd put down is the price. I see no point in dropping that type of cash on a machine unless your a serious detectorist, that has moved from parks and into caches and serious relic hunting. There are lots of people that buy big price machines and really don't need them for what they are hunting and where they are hunting.
I'd love to try a 3030 and also a Deus just to see what they're about.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could'nt agree more, it is an expensive machine.

That is why if anyone is considering buying one, YOU HAVE TO BE INTO IT FOR THE ENTIRE PACKAGE.

If you don't go into or near the water, it's ability to be submerged, would be a waste!

If you don't mind the being attached to the detector by the headphone cord, and have no use for the wireless module, it would be money wasted. ($300.00 extra on the V3i)

If you have no use for the GPS system, and tracking your movements and location of your finds, could be a waste of money.

No use for the ability to create and download your or others search programs from your computer, might not be for you.

If you have no need for a rechargable lithium ion battery pack as opposed to throw away batteries, plus the ability to have the regular throw away battery pack as backup, might not be for you.

If you take an Etrac or other similarly priced detector and add the above features, and the individual cost of those, it comes more into perspective. Add the additional search features, such as target trace etc., and the ENTIRE PACKAGE isn't too bad.

No it's not cheap, and it's not for everybody, but, if you take the entire package of features into perspective it's a pretty nice machine.

I'm not in the practice of telling anyone what is the BEST machine, and what you should buy. That must be up to the buyer, based on your needs and wallet.
All I am saying is that after months of careful thought and finally deciding to purchase one, I HAVE NO REGRETS.

The best machine is ALWAYS the one YOU CHOOSE FOR YOU!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Skelly, watch these Minelab CTX 3030 videos and you will get an insight on why it is so good. I never though I would put my Minelab E-Trac down but it happened! ;)

Holler if you have more questions or want your to hear about the Tnet deal I have on the Minelab CTX 3030!

Okay, NOW I understand! I watched the second video, all the while thinking I should pulling my E-Trac out of the closet and taking it out to romance it on the ground....

Most of the accolades I've heard about the CTX were about the GPS and trim like that - things I don't need to spend an extra grand on. But I'd not seen a video about the screen shots & multiple target displays.

I like that a lot !!!!

But, with impending job loss ......

It'll be the next generation before I upgrade :(

Thanks for posting those videos!

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a DEUS and a ctx and love them both equally they both have there place, kinda like your kids they are different in some areas but you love them both! The ctx is a beast of a machine, it kills every site I've taken it too!! I never thought I'd sell my etrac but once I got the ctx that sucker was gone the next month!!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only owned Ctx3030 for a few months, its an awesome machine, I have found more silver jewelry and silver coins then I have in the past few years using a variety of different types of detectors. Ctx3030 finds stuff that others don't even hear. Proof yesterday we were hunting a state park, minelab ctx3030 hits a silver dime at 12 inches down, my friend has a whites dfx, I asked him to scan the ground before I dug it, he didn't even hear a beep. Ctx3030 finds targets other machines can't hear, plus it has wireless audio and its waterproof, no more worries when its about to rain and your a mile from your car. Another great feature is the gps, saving findpoints, and waypoints. I love my ctx3030, all my hunting buddies are selling there machines to upgrade to the ctx3030. I am telling them to call bart!!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the other guys have covered all the angles on most of the CTX 3030's features.... But there also is one other feature they didn't mention that makes this a better detector than the Etrac.... the ground balancing feature. In my comparison testing the CTX definitely has a depth advantage over the Etrac, and I'm thinking more precise ground balancing is more than likely the reason why.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found more silver jewelry and silver coins then I have in the past few years using a variety of different types of detectors. Ctx3030 finds stuff that others don't even hear. I am telling them to call bart!!

I hear this from all my customers daily. They just cant believe the difference. I personally have found more silver with my E-Trac but that wont be for long! The CTX is a beast! Especially when you load our Gone Hunting setting into it!

upfishcreek

Greenie
Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure why people act the way they do. I can be detecting and some other person comes up and seems to feel the need to explain how they can't justify the cost and how they find just as much with their beep and dig. I don't really know how to reply other than smile.
If I were to tell them that they should feel fortunate they did not have to spend their money on my machine, and really when it comes down to basics mine also beeps and I dig, I might come across as rude. It's like when someone looks at my much tattooed arm and feels the needs to say " that will look good when you are 60 " How does one reply. Do I remind them it is on my arm and not theirs? Do I tell them fortunately when I am 60 I am sure you won't be part of my life anyhow?
I'm a grown up. I bought it with my money and I love it. So really, I wonder why anyone has an opinion on that. There was another thread that a person asked the question wondering why people like me spend lots of money on a machine that they feel is over-priced and over-rated. They puffed themselves up about how they can find just as much with their machine ( I think it was a Compadre ). I replied much like I did as above but then deleted my words because really , I am not sure why I should try to change his own beliefs. So why did I buy it. Because that was my decision. I used my money and I get to excperience it. I have two machines. The CTX and a Compadre. I find stuff with both, have fun with both and once again used my own money and decision making capacity. If you think I am dumb because I bought this machine, I am not sure I care, or you would be someone I'd want to detect with anyhow. However if people ask and they really are wondering why I bought it, there are a plethora of awesome reasons as "Locator" above mentioned. That's my rant. Just because you don't agree with my purchase and choice, it does not mean you will really influence my decsion to keep it or not. Like really, am I supposed to run out and sell it because you told me it is dumb to spend my money on that and that you find just as much as me? C"mon, give your head a shake.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread