Battery Life Problem on Explorer SE Pro

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out today for a 3hr hunt today with the Explorer SE Pro, loaded with brand new AA's Alkaline's. At the end of the hunt I noticed the batteries were drained down to 1/4 charge left on meter! I always use headphones. I did not use the pin pointer at all and the back light was not on. I am really confused why the batteries drained so fast!

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any idea's what could be causing this battery drain? Any input would be appreciated :notworthy:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't uses Alkaline's more then once, & didn't look so :dontknow:

I prefer Rechargeable batteries & get 3 to 5 outings if I forget to throw it on the charger
when I get home

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go out and get another new set from a different source and see how they do. Maybe you got a bad batch.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they quality batteries? The explorers eat them up pretty good and the cheap ones I used to use once in a while did only last one day.

A few years ago I bought a great AA charger system, get a full day charge in 30 minutes and everything has been great since. I paid a good buck for it, but well worth it.

OP
OP
Silver Slayer

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron Patch yes they were cheap batteries but they have always lasted very well in my other machines,you could be right maybe a bad batch. I think I will go rechargeable per everyone's response.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Iron Patch yes they were cheap batteries but they have always lasted very well in my other machines,you could be right maybe a bad batch. I think I will go rechargeable per everyone's response.

Great idea! Much cheaper in the long run. Cheap batteries never do well for me.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's most likely your issue. You need the higher end batts. for an explorer, and given the cost a one time charger set up is much cheaper. Mine is made by Maha (I use Powerex batteries), charges very fast, but what's even better is there's a display while charging so you can see if a battery has gone bad. Must be at least three or four years I've had it and am very satisfied.

Attachments

• 175.jpg
    175.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Slayer

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's most likely your issue. You need the higher end batts. for an explorer, and given the cost a one time charger set up is much cheaper. Mine is made by Maha (I use Powerex batteries), charges very fast, but what's even better is there's a display while charging so you can see if a battery has gone bad. Must be at least three or four years I've had it and am very satisfied.

Thanks for the photo and info Iron Patch! What is the Mah rating on your batteries?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread