$1000 dollars better????

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question... I just purchased a used Etrac prob and x1 probe that is under warranty until may 2015. I paid $1040 and I have seen some ctx used for 1600-1800.

I wonder if I should have just gotten the ctx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just curious,is the ctx 3030 really $1000 dollars better than the e-trac???????
I didn't think so when I bought mine, but I've seen some consistently amazing finds from those using the CTX. I've had some great finds with the E-trac too so is it luck or machine or operator?? The age old question.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think so when I bought mine, but I've seen some consistently amazing finds from those using the CTX. I've had some great finds with the E-trac too so is it luck or machine or operator?? The age old question.....

Neither, it's the site and what is there to find! After that you can look at the user and detector.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just curious,is the ctx 3030 really $1000 dollars better than the e-trac???????

The CTX 3030 is more stable than the E-Trac and locks on to good targets much better. It makes it easier to learn quicker. The target trace and seeing multiple targets on the screen is AWESOME. I love it on con spills or for checking iron targets in the trash. With the added free 17" coil we are throwing in you could always sell the 17" and recoup some of your $.

Your question is only one you can answer. Do you want the obvious, wireless, waterproof, GPS plus the options I posted above? Are those worth $1000 more to you? Holler if you have questions. I have many hours on both machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither, it's the site and what is there to find! After that you can look at the user and detector.
It can't be just the site. I've hunted with others on the same site, some using the same machine, and the finds are rarely equal. Experience is a big part, type and quality of machine is too, and there is always the element of luck walking over the choice target. So for comparison purposes, we'd have to take the site out of the picture. Figure everyone searching the same site. If the experience is the same, the comparison is with the machines used, all other things being equal except luck. Then it's a matter of choosing the right machine for the conditions and target depths. The CTX excels in that area but the OP's question was, is it $1000 better than an E-trac? If it gets you that little bit extra where you can find a valuable target that the other machines can't, it just might be. If all the targets at that site are 6" down or less in stable, clean ground, probably not.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all the targets at that site are 6" down or less in stable, clean ground, probably not.

Where is this mythical spot? I want to hunt there! Clean ground? WHAT?? lol

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think too many people focus on the latest greatest thing. I did when I started out and got an e-trac. Now I have an outlaw also and it was 1000 less than the e-trac. It is still a good machine and I'm not seeing where the extra on the e-trac was worth it. The e-trac is a good machine but it's not worth spending an extra grand to say this spot isn't hunted out.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think too many people focus on the latest greatest thing. I did when I started out and got an e-trac. Now I have an outlaw also and it was 1000 less than the e-trac. It is still a good machine and I'm not seeing where the extra on the e-trac was worth it. The e-trac is a good machine but it's not worth spending an extra grand to say this spot isn't hunted out.
Really? To each his own I guess. I can see a huge advantage over beep and dig machines. I at least like multiple tones.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can't be just the site. I've hunted with others on the same site, some using the same machine, and the finds are rarely equal. Experience is a big part, type and quality of machine is too, and there is always the element of luck walking over the choice target. So for comparison purposes, we'd have to take the site out of the picture. Figure everyone searching the same site. If the experience is the same, the comparison is with the machines used, all other things being equal except luck. Then it's a matter of choosing the right machine for the conditions and target depths. The CTX excels in that area but the OP's question was, is it $1000 better than an E-trac? If it gets you that little bit extra where you can find a valuable target that the other machines can't, it just might be. If all the targets at that site are 6" down or less in stable, clean ground, probably not.

My reply was based on you talking about great finds. Great finds usually come from great sites and that is the most important thing, the site. A great detector and great user is most definitely secondary. As they always say... you can't find it if it's not there.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000

I really liked my Explorer SE with the Pro coil and I now have an Outlaw.
I know both machines inside out and at the end of the day my Outlaw loses on depth only. Every other category, I prefer my Outlaw.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really liked my Explorer SE with the Pro coil and I now have an Outlaw.
I know both machines inside out and at the end of the day my Outlaw loses on depth only. Every other category, I prefer my Outlaw.

This proves there is a goose for every gander.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is this mythical spot? I want to hunt there! Clean ground? WHAT?? lol
I've hunted some private property that was like that. Believe me, you don't want to hunt it.....total waste of time as there wasn't anything old. There were very few targets of any sort and virtually no junk.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question poptop121, YES, it is $1000 better, if you quantify all the ADDED FEATURES in $$$ terms.

Features the E-Trac Doesn't have that the CTX does:
> Submerged detecting ability.
>Rechargable Lithium Ion battery pack. (best available)
>Wireless headphone module.
>FBS 2 and Smartfind 2 technologies.
>GPS tracking of your hunts and finds, with the ability to record them and overlay them on a google map, on your PC
>Target Trace, with the ability to visualize multiple targets, both good and junk on the new color screen.
>Better target separation of good and bad targets.
>VERY STABLE/SMOOTH OPERATING

Add all those things in $$$ terms, and the answer is YES. This coming from someone who has spent the money, owns a CTX, and is very happy with it's performance and abilities, NOT someone who has "heard this, or read that" about it.

I find it to be a very enjoyable detector to use, with some great new features. If you like the detector you use, that is the first step in enjoying the hobby, I have taken a giant step with the CTX in that regard.

Whether those added features and cost fit any potential buyers needs or wallet is up to them.

SOON ALL THIS NONSENSE WILL START ALL OVER AGAIN, WITH THE GARRETT ATX AS THE TARGET!!

Last edited:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look long enough you will find the perfect locator for you. The one you have (or get) is the best one, whether it be a Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, Nokta, Whites, etc. etc., they are all perfect if you say they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread