Hunting tot loat with x terra

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been hitting the local tot lots lately and have been getting hits that sound similar but show up as 2, 4, 6, 8 and sometimes -2 and -4. I had dug so e of them and used my pinpointer and its occasionally a pulltab or pop top. At times as soon as i open a plug or move the mulch he target now shows much deeper than it originally was. Many times the targets sounds the same but bounces among the numbers i listed. Am I wrong in not digging these bouncing numbers? I am also passing on the rest unless it is an extremely solid repeatable target. At most parks i can only go down so far because they installed a mesh type fabric under the mulch.
Gerry

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start with, TID is based on coin sized targets and composition. So a target that is smaller may show as being deeper, and inversly a large target that is deep may show up as being shallower.
Jumpy IDs are often junk, but can be jewelry that has irregular shape or several reflective facetts.
I have never had a good target show a negative number. I won't way that it can't happen, just that I've never found anything worthwhile that showed a negative TID.
As far as low positive TID numbers go, I refer you to a previous post. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/371531-705-target-id-sheet.html#post3580642

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your locating these 'deep' targets within 3-5 feet of playground equipment then it may be the footings. My '705' honks on them every time.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your locating these 'deep' targets within 3-5 feet of playground equipment then it may be the footings. My '705' honks on them every time.

Yep my 505 is so sensitive that its hard to get anywhere near fences or playground equipment, etc...

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that is important to remember when near metal structures, is that the detection field doesn't just go down, it's above the coil as well.

Tot-lots aren't my cup of tea, but when hunting an area where the finds are likely to be shallow it often helps to turn the SENS down quite a bit.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, I didnt even think to turn the sensativity down.
I had a few hits that showed a 2 about two bars down in the wood mulch and i dug dwn about 6 inches without finding it. When i ran the machine back over the open hole it now showed the target extremely deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread