Minelab E-Trac

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Teknetics Gamma 6000, AT PRO, Garrett ACE 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing you should do, is of course read the book (and Andy Sabisch's book if you have it - he explains a lot)

When you do get out with it, don't get too excited right away with all of the settings and programs. Run it in the stock modes for a while until you start learning its language. You can start optimizing it later.

Swing SLOWLY... I'll say it again.... 8-) Slowly..... and listen for the targets that are consistent sounding.

If they sound good with a good visual ID, of course dig 'em. If they sound good but the ID is bouncing all over the place - dig 'em.

This machine has better audio ID than graphical ID.

Good luck with your new machine - the Etrac is a great detector!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have access to a good sandy swimming beach, that is where I suggest you go to get used to the machine. Lots of targets and easy digging will get you the needed experience in a shorter time frame. It will help you learn the best way to pin point too without having to dig lots of big ugly plugs. After every 10 hours of use, reread Andy's book. You'll be surprised as to how much more sense it will make and help you with understanding the various settings and when to change them.

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. Patience I have learned over the past year with my Gamma 6000. I am interested to see how the two stack up against the other. I just purchased the Book by Andy Sabisch on EBay. Sounds really good. I think I got a good deal at 17 dollars. Much much higher from Amazon and other places. Wish it was in digital form for my readers.

Will test drive the E-Trac this coming Saturday. Hate the learning curve but comes with it. There is so much more to configure than on my Gamma 6000.

About coils: I purchased the kit from http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/, from Bart. The additional coil is the Sun Ray X-5 sniper coil. Where we hunt here in Alabama, old home sites and schools, the trash it plentiful. I have discriminated much more than I would desire, but you would be literally digging up something every foot or so. How much will this small coil benefit me? Should I start with the standard coil shipped with it?

Thanks in advance.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The X5 is an awesome coil- one of the best ever made for the Explorer and Etrac. Its my go to small coil when out with the Etrac.

You made a great choice and will love it in the iron infested areas you are describing!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice. Patience I have learned over the past year with my Gamma 6000. I am interested to see how the two stack up against the other. I just purchased the Book by Andy Sabisch on EBay. Sounds really good. I think I got a good deal at 17 dollars. Much much higher from Amazon and other places. Wish it was in digital form for my readers.

Will test drive the E-Trac this coming Saturday. Hate the learning curve but comes with it. There is so much more to configure than on my Gamma 6000.

About coils: I purchased the kit from Metal Detector For Sale Specialized in Minelab, Garrett, XP, Fisher, Teknetics. | BigBoysHobbies, from Bart. The additional coil is the Sun Ray X-5 sniper coil. Where we hunt here in Alabama, old home sites and schools, the trash it plentiful. I have discriminated much more than I would desire, but you would be literally digging up something every foot or so. How much will this small coil benefit me? Should I start with the standard coil shipped with it?

Thanks in advance.

Your learning curve will really go fast with the smaller X-5. That being said, it takes forever to cover ground but that is a good thing for someone starting on the E-Trac. I would go X-5 myself. You will learn it quick!

Remember we offer lifetime help with questions and tips since you bought it from us. I have used one since 08 and have hundreds of hours behind the E-Trac.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck Brother!...Thats going to be my next machine!....Now if I could only get Bart to trade for some Gold...........hint hint :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would highly recommend the ZAGG screen protector to prevent scratching the button area. I personally don't like the rain covers. ZAGG makes a precut protector for the Etrac. Good luck and enjoy your new machine.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch: I ordered the Zagg screen protector a few days ago. I have used a couple others and have had problems with glare.. Is the surface of the Zagg protector like the surface of the E-trac in that it seem to reduce the glare from the sun?

Thanks

Roy

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch: I ordered the Zagg screen protector a few days ago. I have used a couple others and have had problems with glare.. Is the surface of the Zagg protector like the surface of the E-trac in that it seem to reduce the glare from the sun? Thanks Roy
Yes I believe it reduces glare somewhat. I put it on my machine the same week I got it, so I really can't remember what it was like without it. I like it better than the rain jackets. I used the jacket on the beach a few weeks ago and with polarized glasses on I could barely see the screen. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is nice to hear! Can't wait to hit the ground with it. Thanks

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small coil it will be. I am going to go over some ground that I have already hunted. Old home site that no one else has been on. Thanks Bart

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rain jacket that I bought makes the screen almost unusable. I think once I get the Zagg I will cut most of the vinyl screen cover out of the rain jacket and only use it in rainy or extremely dusty situations.

I better be careful not to ruin it. :)

Roy

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rain jacket that I bought makes the screen almost unusable. I think once I get the Zagg I will cut most of the vinyl screen cover out of the rain jacket and only use it in rainy or extremely dusty situations.

I better be careful not to ruin it. :)

Roy

The rain cover serves a purpose but as you said makes it very hard to see the screen. ZAGG is what is on mine!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small coil it will be. I am going to go over some ground that I have already hunted. Old home site that no one else has been on. Thanks Bart

I have an X-5 on mine I haven't been able to even try yet due to high workload. It's tiny, tiny. I believe I would put stock coil on for first hunt then try the x-5 later to see what may have been masked out. Just a thought.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them both with you and decide at the site after you give it a test run.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very welcome Sir! Holler anytime!

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them both with you and decide at the site after you give it a test run.
I will take both. We may actually be in some cleaner ground tomorrow. Really excited.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give us a report! I haven't been able to go in a week.

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was probably our longest hunt to date. We didn't get in until dark. Reminds me of my arrow hunting days. The things you enjoy most times flies. It feels like you have literally been out for a few minutes instead of hours.

Our ground condition compared to last year is different. It was very wet most all Fall and winter. Made digging messy but easy. That has changed. I can dig easy enough but I have to dig lots of deep holes for my wife. Some of her deep signals she ignores. The new places we hunted was completely unknown to us as far as history. They were promising. The first place we just barley scratched the surface. Home owner likes to talk a lot. That was ok. Have to keep up the camaraderie to ensure future hunts. We did find several coins and one wheat. An old tractor toy from years back. E Trac found two nickels bam bam. As every one knows nickels are hard to come by. Who wants a pocket of pull tabs. But I usually dig them anyway...unless there are hundreds that exist around old store fronts.
Our second site was supposed to be an old store building converted later into living space. Found several coins but nothing older than the 1970s plus and minus some years. I think some are deep. Wish the ground was wetter. Also, the old driveway is covered with grass. Good signals there but impossible to dig. I forgot my pick. I will have it next time.

I did like the performance of the E Trac. I had to make me a list of the possible numbers to use to start off. Eventually the tone will tell me all I need to know. I wish more companies added the wireless headphones like the 3030. Each signal I dug I would have to remove them. Not a big deal just a nuisance I guess. I have two places I know will yield some better results. This coming weekend will see how well it performs in more trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions