Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm brand new to detecting and just bought a lightly used 705 with the standard coil. Any tips, suggestions for starting up would be greatly appreciated. Also, the unit came with an instruction manual that says it is for a 305 & 505, but doesn't mention 705. Is there another manual for the 705? Thanks, Mike
Welcome aboard and to the most addictive hobby known to man! You can view/print the 705's instruction manual on Minelabs website. Longhair seems to be the most knowledgeable member on the Xterra line, and will be the one to help you out. Good luck and HH!

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beyond the manual which is readily available on Minelab's site, I highly recommend that while you're there you sign up. It's free and obligates you to nothing.
Then go to the "MEMBERS" area and download Randy Horton's FREE e-book "Understanding Your Xterra". Then read the e-book......twice. And go back to it after each of your next several hunts.
And another thing that you can do while at the Minelab site, is go to the "Treasure Talk" section, and find the four part blog article that Randy wrote called "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me?"

After you do all of that, if you have more questions, by all means ask away.

OP
OP
A

atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I'm off to the Minelab site.

Mike

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to love the 705! It took me a little while to get used to the tones, but I practiced in my yard with known targets until I understood what the detector was telling me.

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a nice online manual, I watched a lot of youtube vids. I watched everythig that had a digital read out to see what different things hit on the digital read out. The factory set on coin pat 1 with auto ground balance works well. if your a coin shooter lay some on the ground and watch you read out. Copper pennies read different than clad and silver and clad.

http://radioworld.ca/product_brochures/metal_detector/xterra_understanding.pdf

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great choice! The Minelab X-Terra 705 is an AWESOME detector and very versatile with the ability to change frequency with the coil!

OP
OP
A

atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help in getting me started in the right direction. I have downloaded and read the references that were pointed out. After playing with the machine in an improvised target garden, I decided to get a Garrett Pro-pointer from Phil Myers. Beginning to get the hang of finding things and found a few coins in the back yard. I'm off this afternoon to a long abandoned golf course in the area that I have the exclusive hunting rights to. Hope for some coins at least.
Thanks again for the help.

Mike

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard, get out and enjoy the machine before the weather turns bad.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm off this afternoon to a long abandoned golf course in the area that I have the exclusive hunting rights to. Hope for some coins at least.
Thanks again for the help.

Mike
I've hunted closed golf courses, but none that were abandoned.
Focus on the area around the clubhouse (or where it was), the tee areas including where the ball washers are/were, around the outside of where the greens are/were, places where there are isolated old trees that could have been used for shade breaks, and don't overlook the parking area and entrance to the course.

Good luck! And let us know how you make out there.

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 (two years experience)
E-trac (currently learning)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to really enjoy your machine. I own the Minelab X Terra 305 because when I started the hobby, I could only afford so much. In some aspects we have the same exact machine. I recommend you stay with the standard coil for the first six months to be able to learn how you hunt and the places that you tend to go to. If it's a trashy site then a smaller coil will work better. If it's beach hunting then the 15" coiltek will do wonders. I personally own the 15" and I only get to use it for large fields or any beach hunt. Regarding learning your detector, it takes time and patience. Dig any target that gives a clean high signal. Anything in the low numbers will be iron and junk that no one wants to have. Just like flying a plane, you need to take time to connect with the 705 and know what it is telling you.

Beavertail

Nov 24, 2013
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, minelab equinox 800, e-trac,xterra 305, xterra 705, coiltek wot 7.5-18.75 kHz.
Not true on the low tones I've found two gold rings that read at -4 and 4. That's as low as it gets on 305

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is an awesome machine that is very capable and versatile...I love it!!! Longhair is right.......Randy Horton's E-book is VERY helpful starting out with the X-terra. Read his E-book and then just get out there and start learning the 705..........awesome machine!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread