Minelab 305 questions....

Jayman931

Feb 27, 2011
Hattiesburg MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Mississippi and have been told that some places here have mineralized soil. I am getting a lot of -4 readings when I am swinging my 305. I used to have a Tesoro Cibola (no digital screen) so I am unfamiliar with what this means....Lots of Iron? Is it from Mineralization? Is there anything I can do to lessen or get rid of it?

Also with the ground balancing I hear a low frequency but also some high popping. Which sounds am I supposed to try to have sound equal. All the numbers sound similar, 1-20 I believe it is.

The noise cancelling also sounds the same in all 3 modes.

Help would be appreciated.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Mississippi and have been told that some places here have mineralized soil. I am getting a lot of -4 readings when I am swinging my 305. I used to have a Tesoro Cibola (no digital screen) so I am unfamiliar with what this means....Lots of Iron? Is it from Mineralization? Is there anything I can do to lessen or get rid of it?

Also with the ground balancing I hear a low frequency but also some high popping. Which sounds am I supposed to try to have sound equal. All the numbers sound similar, 1-20 I believe it is.

The noise cancelling also sounds the same in all 3 modes.

Help would be appreciated.
A -4 id is a ferrous indication, slow down the swing speed to about 3 seconds per swing and see if the -4 lessens. If not, dig a couple of the -4 targets to verify if there are iron targets in the ground. If there are no targets, then it may be mineralization. The next option would be turn down sensitivity. You could also just notch -4, but I like to run my disc wide open.
When ground balancing, put sens as high as you can, be sure to be in all metal mode and make certain there is NO metal in the ground that you GB over. If you get falsing in all metal even though the ground seems clean, turn down the sens a bit, then GB again. The GB sound should be 'in-between' the high and low tones as you lift the coil, and will have a smoother and quieter sound. If you get a low (negative -) tone then slowly turn up the positive (+) button until you hear a higher pitched tone. Now set the GB to the number just in between the 2 pitches. The noise cancelling will only help if the EMI in the area is affecting the particular frequency (noise cancel channel) you are on. If you try all 3 noise cancel channels and still have EMI chatter, the next option would be to turn down the sensitivity until the chatter stops. It could be a lot of small iron trash in the ground, in this case I just ignore the iron readings and dig the 'good' tones. Don't be afraid to turn the sens down a bit, it can really help stability in the real trashy areas. One more thing: Set the threshold to have a steady background hum so that you can it hear drop out (null) over any unwanted targets. Not too loudly (think of a mosquito buzzing). Good luck and HH!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread