Coiltek digger coil for 705

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my digger coil from Bart. Hats off to Bart on the easy transaction, great help and quick shipping.
I putt he digger on and gave it a try. Not may targets in my yard except doggy bombs, so i grew some coins down real quick and bamb, bamb, bamb they sounded off big time and no problem with separation unless the coins were stacked. I will spend more time with it Friday.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're gonna love that coil Gerry. :icon_thumleft:
Just remember to GO SLOW. It's real easy to swing that little coil too fast, and if you do it reminds you by falsing.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last 5 trips to my favorite site has been Coinless. I've pretty much been using the DD that is part of the Duo package (705) . Can you see any advantage to giving this Coiltek Digger a try? The site is full of Nails and little tiny pieces of Tin.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NVN - If your site is infested with iron, this coil can help find those coins you are looking for due to the increased separation.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last 5 trips to my favorite site has been Coinless. I've pretty much been using the DD that is part of the Duo package (705) . Can you see any advantage to giving this Coiltek Digger a try? The site is full of Nails and little tiny pieces of Tin.
Absolutely!
Just as New Bedford Detectors pointed out, it will separate better. Separation is not just side-to-side, but heel-to-toe as well.
And even beyond that, the response of lower conductors like iron to 3kHz vs what copper, silver, brass, or other high conductors is dramatic. Sorting through heavy trash for coins is much less mentally taxing with the Digger than any other coil available.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it was to dark when i tried it, it appeared that pinpoint is directly under the shaft connector on the coil.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to try it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is EXACTLY what it is for... Holler if you have questions! Love to help you!

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from trying out the digger coil. The area I went to is a baseball field and it seems each section of the field is different. Right field was loaded with deep coins which was done by someone else two weeks ago when i did Left field which had some coins but lots of garbage. Today I went and finished right center field and got a clad quarter and a zink penny. I was able to use this coil to separate the different garbage so i didnt have to dig it. The coins had lots of garbage around them and i was able to pick them out of the garbage. A few times I got a solid repeatable signal that showed a clad quarter. I dug it and found nothing. I dug down to 8 inches and nothing but the detector kept saying it was about two inches down even after i filled things back in. That one kind of stumped me, i figure it was mineralization since it wouldnt set off he Gpp.

I did find out that i was swinging the coil to fast, thats when i was getting readings of -2,-4,-6 and -8. Once I slowed the swing down i stopped getting those false readings. With this coil, it did take about an hour to do a 30x30 area. I need a lot more time to get used to this coil, but i like it so far and it is easier to swing that the 9" concentric.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few times I got a solid repeatable signal that showed a clad quarter. I dug it and found nothing. I dug down to 8 inches and nothing but the detector kept saying it was about two inches down even after i filled things back in. That one kind of stumped me, i figure it was mineralization since it wouldnt set off he Gpp.
Anytime that you get a LOUD high tone signal, lift the coil progressively swinging higher over it the with each pass. If you get a foot or more off the ground and still hit it, it's deep, big and ugly.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime that you get a LOUD high tone signal, lift the coil progressively swinging higher over it the with each pass. If you get a foot or more off the ground and still hit it, it's deep, big and ugly.

Agreed! The Coiltek 6" Digger coil is very sensitive too. Its easy to run it to hot so watch that as well.

atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading this thread, I bought a very lightly used "Digger" from a member and plan to try it out later today. Although while reading the thread, I got the impression that the coil was perfect for coins in areas with heavy trash. That is where I am right now being new and only venturing to local parks where those conditions are what I encounter. Reading the description on either Coiltek's site or one of the vendors, they describe the use more for relic hunting. Now I'm a little confused (doesn't take that much to confuse me being a newbie and still overwhelmed at all the settings, etc.).
Could somebody help to clarify things for me?

Thanks,
Mike

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a copper, silver, and other high conductor slayer! What makes it so sweet is that the response from high conductors vs low conductors is dramatic.
Just be sure to swing SLOW. Swing speeds that are too fast will produce falsing.

It also works for relics, because it will still see them. But if they are low conductors the ID won't be accurate due to the frequency and target segment bin widths at the low end of the detection range. Solid bottom coils are preferred for relic hunting, as they tend to hang up on things less.

Last edited:

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coil...

:icon_thumright:I know what's on my Christmas List.... and Bart I will make sure my wife buys from you.. I love my 705 you sold me. I still green but learning every day.. plan to use the new coil in city park ... New Oleans.. went last week had lots of trash.... also they have old walking and running tracks... cement... sure I hunt them... Thanks for the information on this coil.
I just got back from trying out the digger coil. The area I went to is a baseball field and it seems each section of the field is different. Right field was loaded with deep coins which was done by someone else two weeks ago when i did Left field which had some coins but lots of garbage. Today I went and finished right center field and got a clad quarter and a zink penny. I was able to use this coil to separate the different garbage so i didnt have to dig it. The coins had lots of garbage around them and i was able to pick them out of the garbage. A few times I got a solid repeatable signal that showed a clad quarter. I dug it and found nothing. I dug down to 8 inches and nothing but the detector kept saying it was about two inches down even after i filled things back in. That one kind of stumped me, i figure it was mineralization since it wouldnt set off he Gpp.

I did find out that i was swinging the coil to fast, thats when i was getting readings of -2,-4,-6 and -8. Once I slowed the swing down i stopped getting those false readings. With this coil, it did take about an hour to do a 30x30 area. I need a lot more time to get used to this coil, but i like it so far and it is easier to swing that the 9" concentric.

atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today to play with the new Digger for the first time. The place is a local park that I have gone over 2 or 3 times with my stock coil and dug a ton of junk and over 35 coins. Lots of trash. I dug another 30 coins with this coil. Great separation and was able to id EVERY coin before I dug it. I still dug several alum. cans and bottle caps, but they seem to show up in the dime range, so I dig them anyway. The only time I was really stumped today was five coins in the same spadeful of dirt. The machine was giving me solid 30 and solid 36 that were repeating. When I dug the hole, there were 4 zinc lincolns and one rosevelt dime.
I know I still need to learn more about the machine and the coil, but I was really pleased at the results today.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After getting my coiltek " Digger " coil from Bart @ Big Boy's Hobbies I am afraid I will never go back to my Minelab original 7.5 concentric coil that came with my 705. Been using it exclusively since getting it a couple of months ago and love it. Well worth the $$$ IMHO

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting my coiltek " Digger " coil from Bart @ Big Boy's Hobbies I am afraid I will never go back to my Minelab original 7.5 concentric coil that came with my 705. Been using it exclusively since getting it a couple of months ago and love it. Well worth the $$$ IMHO
Until we got the Coiltek 3kHz coils just one year ago, all we had in 3kHz was the factory 9" concentric, and it practically lived on my machine. The only time I took it off was at sites that demanded better separation.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the "digger" today. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and give it a test run.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I LOVE mine! I just took it to the beanfield next door today, and dug a coin that predates the settling of this area. An 1832 Half Cent.

11-07-131832HalfCentObverse_zpsfb644b6e.jpg

11-07-131832HalfCentReverse_zps08a5568f.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread