Experience with the CTX3030 6" Coil

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the 6" coil about a month ago. The first time I went out with it, I was with a friend of mine and we both get a little competitive. We had a wide open area and according to the homeowner, they had played a lot of football in this area over the generations. I soon switched out the coil for the larger stock coil because I was getting worn out and moving very slowly, and I felt that he was covering more ground than me.

Fast forward to last week:

I went back to some heavily hit homes that I had used both my AT Pro and CTX with the larger stock coil on. I decided to switch out to the smaller coil and see if I could clean up some iffy signals that I was aware of. The first day I found a 1944 Mercury dime in the first yard along with 4 wheat cents dated in the 20s' along with some older clad. I went back a couple of days later back to the same yard and then to a second and found a 1956 Roosevelt dime and 6 more wheat cents (I managed to play with the tone settings and was better able to hear the signals more clearly).

Today I went out for a few hours to a 3rd heavily hit yard and found a 40s' wheat cent and a 1943 Mercury dime. I then went to a new yard and found 7 more wheat cents along with an older, post WWII Jefferson nickel.

In summary, the 6" coil definitely has a lot of benefit. I am able to get in closer to metal objects such as the side of metal sided houses and fences. It is easier to maneuver and seems to work in better on uneven ground and I am able to pick out jumpy signals with it more. I may be sacrificing depth, but I think that I am going to use it as my primary coil. Probably, the most effective way to use it is to hit the area hard with the stock coil and then change it out with the smaller coil and search the area again.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You nailed it with your post. :icon_thumleft: The two coils compliment each other very well , and the smaller coil will definitely allow you to hear targets that you can't hear with the larger coil in those trashy areas.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the 6" coil about a month ago. The first time I went out with it, I was with a friend of mine and we both get a little competitive. We had a wide open area and according to the homeowner, they had played a lot of football in this area over the generations. I soon switched out the coil for the larger stock coil because I was getting worn out and moving very slowly, and I felt that he was covering more ground than me.

Fast forward to last week:

I went back to some heavily hit homes that I had used both my AT Pro and CTX with the larger stock coil on. I decided to switch out to the smaller coil and see if I could clean up some iffy signals that I was aware of. The first day I found a 1944 Mercury dime in the first yard along with 4 wheat cents dated in the 20s' along with some older clad. I went back a couple of days later back to the same yard and then to a second and found a 1956 Roosevelt dime and 6 more wheat cents (I managed to play with the tone settings and was better able to hear the signals more clearly).

Today I went out for a few hours to a 3rd heavily hit yard and found a 40s' wheat cent and a 1943 Mercury dime. I then went to a new yard and found 7 more wheat cents along with an older, post WWII Jefferson nickel.

In summary, the 6" coil definitely has a lot of benefit. I am able to get in closer to metal objects such as the side of metal sided houses and fences. It is easier to maneuver and seems to work in better on uneven ground and I am able to pick out jumpy signals with it more. I may be sacrificing depth, but I think that I am going to use it as my primary coil. Probably, the most effective way to use it is to hit the area hard with the stock coil and then change it out with the smaller coil and search the area again.

Great post! What program are you running? If you use our Gone Hunting program you will really clean house!

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using the GH Combined 2 program. I am used to the sounds and when I try and use any other program it just throws my head a loop. I am scared to try anything else at this point because the program seems to work so well. The only difference that I run my CTX verses Evan is that I run the manual sensitivity all the way up to 30 and set the machine to fast recovery. I also tweak the threshold pretty high.

I repeated the same performance above today. I was able to use the smaller coil around some surface roots and managed to pull the 7th silver out of a yard which was a 58' Roosevelt and 3 Wheat cents dated from the 30s'-40s'. Two of the Wheats was almost under roots and the silver was right up against the sidewalk. I think the only reason I have missed the Rosy in the past was because I was not able to get the middle of the stock coil up against the sidewalk as easily.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using the GH Combined 2 program. I am used to the sounds and when I try and use any other program it just throws my head a loop. I am scared to try anything else at this point because the program seems to work so well. The only difference that I run my CTX verses Evan is that I run the manual sensitivity all the way up to 30 and set the machine to fast recovery. I also tweak the threshold pretty high.

I repeated the same performance above today. I was able to use the smaller coil around some surface roots and managed to pull the 7th silver out of a yard which was a 58' Roosevelt and 3 Wheat cents dated from the 30s'-40s'. Two of the Wheats was almost under roots and the silver was right up against the sidewalk. I think the only reason I have missed the Rosy in the past was because I was not able to get the middle of the stock coil up against the sidewalk as easily.

Thanks for the reply. Be careful with fast on. With it on audio on good targets is not NEAR as good and #'s wont lock on as well. Sometimes it will make a good target sound iffy. I personally would much rather slow down a bit than have the machine make me miss a good one.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. Be careful with fast on. With it on audio on good targets is not NEAR as good and #'s wont lock on as well. Sometimes it will make a good target sound iffy. I personally would much rather slow down a bit than have the machine make me miss a good one.

I will keep that in mind. Sometimes I have had a good targets sound well, but read low, below 11.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Evan designed it for us and did he ever hit a home run!! WOW!!! It makes the Minelab CTX 3030 run like its on PED's! lol

Bart,

Like I had said in an earlier post that I haven't really had much luck running the stock programs like I do with Evan's program, plus I am used to the sounds that his program makes. Do you think that the other programs have much validity?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure they do for different styles of hunting. Evans program is such a wide program it will work in just about any kind of situation very very well. That is what makes it so dang good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread