Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone,
Well, I finally did it. I found a nice gently used Etrac off Ebay, and was joking with my wife about getting one. Then she said, well if you want, I'll pay for half and that can be your Christmas present. I hurried up and bid before she changed her mind, and it should be here next week. I have used an AT Pro all year, and have become pretty good with it, but I just felt like I'd like to try a Minelab, since I actually enjoyed learning the AT Pro this year, so I thought it'd be fun to learn another one for next year. Plus, it'd be nice to have my wife be able to use a detector while I'm out also.
I know it's gonna take time swinging it to really learn it, but I did have a few general questions about it, since it really sounds like it's going to be a whole new ballgame, and yes, I ordered the book by Andy Sabisch also today. First, are there any Youtube Videos that helped any of you more than others? I've been searching, but don't really know where to start. Just looking for some videos that show some beginner techniques on the detector. Second, do you have any advice besides reading the book? Like I said, I know time swinging the detector is going to trump just about everything else, as it did with my AT Pro.
I know some questions can be annoying or "getting old", but like most people, I'm just pumped about getting a new toy in the mail. I really do love this hobby, and love learning more about it. I'll be keeping my AT Pro also, as that's been a great detector for me so far. Thank you all for any help or advice, I look forward to meeting some new people here in the Minelab section!

-Ron

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, is there a game changing coil like the AT Pro has with it's 5x8? This one is coming with the stock coil only, but I know that with my AT PRO, I did much better with the 5x8 over the stock one. Thanks!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sapper,

You can Google ETrac Video and you will see many from beginner to expert ... here is a couple

? Deep Detecting Settings and Discrimination Patterns for Minelab Etrac & General Tips - YouTube

? Minelab E-Trac Tutorial Video for the ECTreasureHunters (Bill & Bob) - YouTube

They don't appear to be working, anyway try to Google "ETrac Video"

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your new machine. The Etrac is good at pulling goodies out of trash with the stock coil. You may add a Sunray X5 for really trashy or confined areas, but it's usually not necessary. Just start with stock Minelab modes, as you can get lost in tweaking the machine. As you read Andy S. book, just try different settings in the back yard, and eventually it all comes together and becomes second nature. GL & HH!

Fyrguy86

Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a new etrac owner too. My advise would be to slow your swings way way down. Keep coil low. Watch the you tube videos. It will all come together. Good luck.

BSkerj

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to down load the Etrac emulator...it is free and a great tool to use while you wait for your Etrac. Also go to goes4ever.com and he has a great beginners tutorial plus a lot of other helpful hints. I graduated from the AT last April to the Etrac and since then I am sitting at 49 silver and 195 wheats..the Etrac is amazing , you will love it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vast majority of videos won't teach you anything. the only ones I recommend for LEARNING are by youtube member earthmansurfer69. He has a lot of videos for different machines, but he buys one and then basically videos his learning of it.

Now, the videos will help a little, but your instincts of learning are correct. Read the user manual and read the Sabich book. Put the machine in a FACTORY mode and leave it there for a while. You will have a much harder time learning it if you constantly change settings. I also recommend to start in some very easy spots.... tot-lots, clean parks, easy yards. Minelabs are very talkative and starting out in a trash pit will drive you crazy.

My standard coil I use is the Sunray X-8 ( 8 inch) coil, but if you want a single coil to change to for those worst-case locations then you need a 5 inch.

There are a lot of tips and tricks for the E-trac but you need a solid foundation before worry about them.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a lot of GREAT advice given already. These guys know what they are doing with an Etrac! To reiterate a few of their thoughts:

#1 - SLOW swings. The Explorer/Etrac services loves a slow moving coil
#2 - Don't get overly worried about tweaking too much too soon. Start out in a standard mode. Learn what it's telling you, and come back later to tweak it to the max...
#3 - A small coil will help, and the best choice in extreme trash is the Sunray X5. There are a lot of good options, but to me this is the best.

Oh, since its a used machine, its probably a good idea do a factory reset to make sure you can start from scratch and not with someone else's idea of how to set it up.

I have a couple of years on the Etrac, and have dug a ton of cool relics and coins with it.... Learn its language and you will love it!

north1

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2009
Got my new etrac in april. Started with stock coil but hunt in very, very trash infested abandoned farm yards. Switched to 6x8 SEF coil and it hasn't been off since. Game changer for me but your mileage may vary.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy if you need help getting your etrac set up give me a call at Vance metal detecting 502-262-0356 I would be more than happy to help get that sucker ironed out!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Holler if I can help!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Congrats on your etrac. Lots of good advice from everyone. The key I have learned is sweep speed. As others have said go slow. I used the dfx prior to the etrac and didn't have an issue switching. Its been fairly smooth. Its a great detector.

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome thank you all for the help. Now I just have to survive the next couple days during this agonizing wait. I went out last night and swung the AT Pro real slow just to practice. I know it's not the same, but I figure working on muscle memory can't hurt.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread