Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
X-terra 10.5"/18.75 khz coil questions

Recently purchased a new unused 10.5" 18.75khz coil for my 705 from one of the members here. I now have a 6" Coiltek "Digger", the stock 9" 7.5 kHz coil and this new 10.5" coil. I have pretty much fallen in love with the digger for the trashy parks I have been exploring while learning the machine.
My question is: where will I use the 10.5" HF coil to it's fullest? Where, and on what, will it outshine the other coils I have?
I live near the ocean, some historic areas for relic hunting, farmland and frequently used neighborhood parks.
I don't want to just put it on the machine and hunt the areas I have been haunting while getting used to the 705 and MD-ing in general.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance,
Mike

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That frequency is best on LOW conductors like lead and gold, making it the best choice for beach hunting (don't submerge it) and battlefields where lead is a desired target.
It will still hit on coins, but the ID is less likely to be accurate due to the target segment bin widths being narrower at the upper end of the detection scale. The inverse is true with the LF coils.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That frequency is best on LOW conductors like lead and gold, making it the best choice for beach hunting (don't submerge it) and battlefields where lead is a desired target.
It will still hit on coins, but the ID is less likely to be accurate due to the target segment bin widths being narrower at the upper end of the detection scale. The inverse is true with the LF coils.

Great reply! Agreed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread