Question on noise cancel

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
I hold the coil off of the ground about 12". I've been noticing that when my machine starts to lose stability, I can clear it up with Noise Cancellation again. This seems to help with the following settings: (sensitivity: 20, iron mask: 29, sound: ferrous). I didn't notice the sensitivity issues when I was running with standard discrimination, conductive and sensitivity at 19.

DB

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
DetectorBase said:
I hold the coil off of the ground about 12". I've been noticing that when my machine starts to lose stability, I can clear it up with Noise Cancellation again. This seems to help with the following settings: (sensitivity: 20, iron mask: 29, sound: ferrous). I didn't notice the sensitivity issues when I was running with standard discrimination, conductive and sensitivity at 19.

DB

i do the same as detectorbase.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Ok...an uneducated question ....notice I didn't say dumb question :P

What is noise canceling?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set my coil on the ground and don,t move it until the noise canceling is done. I don,t think it will make too much difference if you hold it off the ground or not as the noise cancelling checks the 10 channels for the one with the least noise and chooses it. Noise can be another detector, over head lines, ground feed back, basically any noise. From what I can tell the only thing that may happen if you don,t run noise cancel is the number reading may be off 1 or 2 numbers and the ID may not be the correct icon if the reading is borderline between one icon or another.

Ed D.

OP
OP
J

John S

Dec 5, 2005
John S said:
When you noise cancel do you hold the coil about 15" off the ground are do you point the coil at the power lines? What do you do, In the USA.
The reason I asked this question is Sandy at minelab told me today that your to hold it at the power lines not the ground and the book said the hold the coil about a ft are so off the ground to noise cancel. I thank I'll ge with the book.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Question
When determining the location of the object, where would you first hear the beeps. (green areas represent open, and black are the coils). I'm having problems deciding where on the coil..is it the outside or inside coil that the first beep occurs?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 374

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chose the ground because that is where the coil is when in use so I thought that this would be the best way to set noise cancelling, the way you use it.

The detection pattern is right down the center of the coil almost from fro to back. about 1" each side of center. The coil is a DD coil.

Ed D.

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
Calworks said:
So the beeps occur in the center coil area if I understand correctly?

I notice different areas with my double Ds. If the target is on the surface, I can get three beeps. Inside edge, then center then outside edge. If the coin is down a ways, I get a pretty solid center beep. I'm also noticing that edge will tone 'good' on trash if the outside edge catches the edge of the junk target. Pinpointing and getting my targe under the center will finally return me the 'junk' tone.

I also noticed this more with the stock 10.5 coil. I switched to SunRay 8" and the triple beep doesn't happen AS much, but still can on surface targets.

HTH
DB

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
'Noise Cancel' is...

... a system for reducing the negative influence of power lines and transformers...anything electrical. I do it at every new site before I hunt. If you have instability after that, you're probably running too much sensitivity.
The SE manual is confusing - you hit the button and let it go, while holding the coil still, flat to the ground - I do 2 feet above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread