Any thoughts on the detector

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I have the opprotunity to purchase a minelab sovereign xs-2 pro. Has anyone used this model, and if so is it a good machine? I would only be using it in the beach. It has an 8 inch bbs coil and a target id meter. Does it ground balance automatically also?
Thanks in advance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I have the opprotunity to purchase a minelab sovereign xs-2 pro. Has anyone used this model, and if so is it a good machine? I would only be using it in the beach. It has an 8 inch bbs coil and a target id meter. Does it ground balance automatically also? Thanks in advance.

The Sov XS 2 is an older Sovereign and a little on the heavy side. However it would be excellent at the beach. It does not have auto ground balance.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine for sure, I have no issue on my beaches with that machine, also from meeting other detectorist familiar with that machine near everyone considers it the land version of the Excalibur. They do have a hip pack for it if weight gets to be an issue. Also have the meter but with the bbs range of sounds I rarely use the meter at the beach, gives a bit of extra battery time. Also with the 8" coil, first few months I thought I needed a bigger coil, but it works just fine and have no interest in larger Rome for it after using the larger coil on another machine. Side note my 2a pro paid for my Excalibur II in 4 months. Still my preferred detector when not in the water.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov XS 2 is an older Sovereign and a little on the heavy side. However it would be excellent at the beach. It does not have auto ground balance.
Thanks again sandman. I hope you are doing well, and make a full recovery. Give us a shout if you head south.
Best wishes.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine for sure, I have no issue on my beaches with that machine, also from meeting other detectorist familiar with that machine near everyone considers it the land version of the Excalibur. They do have a hip pack for it if weight gets to be an issue. Also have the meter but with the bbs range of sounds I rarely use the meter at the beach, gives a bit of extra battery time. Also with the 8" coil, first few months I thought I needed a bigger coil, but it works just fine and have no interest in larger Rome for it after using the larger coil on another machine. Side note my 2a pro paid for my Excalibur II in 4 months. Still my preferred detector when not in the water.
Thank you for your response. Hip mount would be the way for sure.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I have two XS-2A Pros with a hip mount bag. I do not use the meter because I found myself neglecting targets to save time. Not really a good idea. I dig everything. Found gold that ID'd like a decomposing bottle top. Never again.
Anyway, i love my detectors. Once I learned the sounds I was pulling the good stuff! At the beach I can pull a ring at well over 12". On the hard stuff, it does me proud. I'm sure you won't be paying as much as I did, but worth every penny, In my humble opinion. Now for the bad. The battery tray is a pain! Poor design. Without a hip mount, too heavy. Do not submerge the coil often. Should be water proof, but I had one crap out on me once. And most important.... the knobs and switches are not resistant to moisture. Have seen them short out when used on the beach without a bag.
That being said, I have put the sovs against a bunch of other detectors. I really like my sovs!!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold my GT with 10" Tornado coil and kind of miss it already. It was so lightweight and fun to swing hip mounted. I would look for a used GT if possible. They seem to be flooding the market lately on other forums and Fleabay.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't pay a lot for it. It's a good machine but a bit dated. There are better choices but if you get it cheap enough, you'll find targets with it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Listen to this guy! He knows his stuff! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread