domanby

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im putting up my safari on ebay this afternoon/tonight and hoping you guys can give me some advice on a new detector to buy, im really considering getting a Tesoro since they have so many great reviews and a life time warranty. Im trying to get some of my investment back out of the Safari and I plan on spending about $400 on a used detector so please throw any ideas my way. Oh yeah and one of the most important things to consider is weight, I have bad joints and the safari's weight is just a little more than im used to and really does a toll on me after just a couple hours.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a used Xterra. It's extremely light, very capable (of course...it's a Minelab!), and has multi-tones (unlike the majority of Tesoros). Used 705's can be had for between $300-500 regularly. Obviously the newer it is, the more warranty may have remaining, and would be closer to the high end of the used price range.
FWIW, they are also rather trouble free. It is rare that you hear of one with a problem, and when you do, it's usually something simple like a bad headphone jack.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also just get a sling for the Safari.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im putting up my safari on ebay this afternoon/tonight and hoping you guys can give me some advice on a new detector to buy, im really considering getting a Tesoro since they have so many great reviews and a life time warranty. Im trying to get some of my investment back out of the Safari and I plan on spending about $400 on a used detector so please throw any ideas my way. Oh yeah and one of the most important things to consider is weight, I have bad joints and the safari's weight is just a little more than im used to and really does a toll on me after just a couple hours.

Since you did not post the ebay link I will leave thread.

Members please remember you can not sell here or post ebay listing unless your a charter member. Any one posting a reply to this thread trying to buy, the post will be deleted as that violates our rules.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

OP
OP
domanby

domanby

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Longhair ive heard a few people say the Xterra's can't be beat ill be on the lookout for one in the next week or so.

OP
OP
domanby

domanby

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I noticed one on amazon a while back and it looked like it would work great im not getting rid of the safari because of the weight I just bought it on impulse and did it at a time when I really couldn't afford it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
X-Terra's are awesome detectors! Very light!

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm a Tesoro fan - light weight high quality.

The common complaint against Tesoro is the single tone signal. users know that complaint isn't valid. Some swing time with any Tesoro gives the user a variety of that one signal telling experienced users what most likely is under the coil.

That said Tesoros are an acquired taste. They aren't as fancy with all the latest tech as the newest crop of detectors. Advocates say all the new software isn't needed and is just product cycle marketing to generate new sales. IOW, If it's not broken why fix it. Critics will tell you that the newest crop of detectors will out find a Tesoro.

Regardless, the Xterra isn't a new detector.

Nothing against the Xterra but so far not one has lasted more than a month or two in the hands of most of the Hunters i know. Maybe it's just our neck of the woods, but not the go to machine around here. Your results may vary, but just so you know.

OP
OP
domanby

domanby

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native what do you recommend? Ive heard great things about x-terra but ive also heard about a lot of people dropping out of the digital and switching to the analog, ive especially heard great things about the outlaw.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Proswing is worth every dime and can be used with any detector. I've swung a 17" coil on the CTX for 6 hours without even feeling tired. It is just another option to selling your Safari.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if u ddnt have to pay for a.charter membership. Sould be done like other forums I'm on, once u hit a certain number of post you can sell stuff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if u ddnt have to pay for a.charter membership. Sould be done like other forums I'm on, once u hit a certain number of post you can sell stuff.

Non charter members can post sales on other forums.

A benefit of TN CM is the ability to sell or offer items for trade.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non charter members can post sales on other forums.

A benefit of TN CM is the ability to sell or offer items for trade.

Sorry waste of money, to just sell something.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree with that being a waste of money $20 for an entire year for & ill bet you on this most likley the best detecting website out there & it supports the site & hobby to remain open. Break $20 down into a year thats not much at all well worth it by far

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes if you sell on EBay you pay a pretty good percentage. I think it's around ten percent. I know I've paid over $400 this last year selling motorcycle accessories off my bike. I've sold 3-4 detectors on here and would have paid about $200 if I had sold on eBay.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's cheap for all the information, knowledge and especially the friends one may acquire along the way!
I think I will become a charter member!

Done!:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread