BHNugget

Aug 8, 2009
Western,SD
Detector(s) used
ETrac/X1
Sovereign GT/S1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'd like to know is, why hasn't any of the detector manufacturers come up with a built in, inline probe with their detectors. The amount of sunray probes sold over the years has to be staggering, so it would be worth doing. Just imagine a ctx3030 with a built in pinpoint probe minus the switchbox, because it was built into the detector control panel. As far as Im concerned, the sunray probes are by far the best pinpointers out there. Does everything your detector does with a one inch coil.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bringing this thread back up. Being somewhat new to metal detecting, how does the Sunray compare to the newer Garrett pinpointers, and are they (the Sunray) getting hard to find?

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bringing this thread back up. Being somewhat new to metal detecting, how does the Sunray compare to the newer Garrett pinpointers, and are they (the Sunray) getting hard to find?
The real advantage of the Sunray is it's ability to run off your detector INCLUDING any disc you may be running. The Garretts (etc.) are pulse units and PP any and ALL metal where if you have iron disc'd out on your etrac the X-1 will also disc out iron so the real advantage is you're not chasing that nail down deep like you would with the others? They also make swapping coils a breeze and I think they go just a tad deeper than the Garrett.

Basically the X-1 is just an extension of your etrac and will act the same as however your etrac is setup (disc, etc.)...except the depth part.

Personally I prefer the Garrett but I swap coils so often I'll keep the X-1 plus every once in awhile I'll use that X-1 just to check that I'm on a coin and not chasing another nail........

They are out there but getting spendy...expect to pay approx. $300. Apparently Minelab got real greedy on parts needed to make them for the etrac so he had to quit making the etrac probes?

Last edited:

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had 2 sunray x-1 probes on my e-trac over the last 2 years, I didn't care for the first one because I never gave myself a chance to learn it, the second one I have been using for awhile know, you don't get vary good depth with them, about 1 1/2 inchs if your e-trac is its regular search mode, if you put your e-trac in the pin point mode the x-1 will do about 3 inchs , if you dig a plug and are close to your target and put the probe in the hole you will hear the same sound in your headphones, after getting used to the way it works, I am sold on it, but you do have to be within about 1 1/2" of your target in the hole, if not you can push your pin point button on the e-trac and it will get about 3". I have found if your good at pin pointing with your machine, about 75% of the time you can fined your target the first time you put the probe in the hole.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great feedback guys. I am looking at getting a ctx-3030 soon, does SunRay make a connection for the CTX? Ive seen the FX verion online but don't personally know of anyone using the SunRay probe with the 3030.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great feedback guys. I am looking at getting a ctx-3030 soon, does SunRay make a connection for the CTX? Ive seen the FX verion online but don't personally know of anyone using the SunRay probe with the 3030.
they dont make one for the 3030, or the etrac either. i have gone through 2 propointers and now my garrett at propointer isnt working right so 3 for 3 failure rate of 100 percent with garrett pinpointers.

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never buy another Garrett product again. Every detector and pinpointer I've owned of theirs has gone bad. They weren't abused or mistreated either. I just got a Sunray probe for my MXT Pro and it blows the doors off my Last Garrett I'll ever own.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Garrett Pro pointer AT and forget the sunray! Had both and sold the X-1's

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Garrett Pro pointer AT and forget the sunray! Had both and sold the X-1's

I would hold off on the Garrett at and see if it suffers the same as the propointer. My Garrett at Propointer just went south after a couple months use. Just like the 2 propointers before it. Garret needs to work on quality control.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunray probes are excellent if you want discrimination in your pinpointer.... the downside is the cost if you are talking about one for the Etrac/Explorer/Safari machines.

Actually, Sunray is discontinuing all of them, so if you want a new one for a Whites/Fisher/etc. better grab it soon - they will all be gone soon.

And sorry, it is not available for the CTX 3030.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knowledge and feedback on this forum is incredible, I have had many questions answered since becoming a member. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I don't know why sunray doesn't sell the patent to another company. I have never owned one, but from the rave reviews and the videos I have seen with other folks using them, they look like a must have. I just bought the Garrett carrot, and I only hope it doesn't start falsing like the propointer did. So far so good, but I would love to have a sunray for my etrac.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why sunray doesn't sell the patent to another company. I have never owned one, but from the rave reviews and the videos I have seen with other folks using them, they look like a must have. I just bought the Garrett carrot, and I only hope it doesn't start falsing like the propointer did. So far so good, but I would love to have a sunray for my etrac.

My Garrett carrot or what ever you want to call it is screwing up after around 4 months. If I could I would buy a sunray for every detector I have.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunray probe is truly incredible. I can't even hunt without it anymore. It more than doubles your finds - time spent trying to find the target in the hole is quick and easy.
In fact - I just found a 3 diamond white gold wedding ring with the probe - if I didn't have it, there is no way I would have found the ring.

I am very frightened for the time my SunRay breaks down................

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Sunray X-1 probe and also carry a Garrett or Minelab pinpointer. The Sunray stays shut off for shallow targets, but, is a great help on deep targets. Instead of digging to China for a rusty nail, I can quit digging deep holes when the pinpointer sounds off but the Sunray doesn't. The Sunray definitely has greater depth. It did a great job for me yesterday sorting out a hole that contained a wheat cent, a silver dime, and two pieces of iron.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could that be everybody knows minelabs suck in iron and won't find a coin within half a mile of a nail? First off I'm joking I find coins with nails in the hole all the time but I've read that they won't from all the experts. It sure is nice to have disc with the sunray?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was ready to pounce on your statement Dirtscratcher, then I read on - I find silver and gold right next to or in the same hole as nails all the time. These so called experts might want to learn the Minelabs if they are saying foolish things like that!!!!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was ready to pounce on your statement Dirtscratcher, then I read on - I find silver and gold right next to or in the same hole as nails all the time. These so called experts might want to learn the Minelabs if they are saying foolish things like that!!!!

Yes i laugh at the videoes also. They don't do good with nails laying on top of ground but in the ground it a whole different story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions