Thoughts on CTX3030

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I no this tread was for CTX user which I'm no,but was thinking of getting one.It does have nice features, I just don't like that people are changing the coils already, but think I'm going with the etrac, and people comparing the atpro to the CTX shut up. And I'm a atpro user 3yrs to be exact.

What is not to like about people using different coils. The two additional coils have specific strengths that help in certain situations. There is nothing wrong with the 11" stock coil and it does most things well, but the 6" and 17" have their places.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple of threads back people were talking about only digging the deeper targets and they wished there was a to discriminate shallow targets out. The problem will be that the depth readings are not too accurate. I would estimate 80% at best. Very shallow targets will read 2" down and larger targets read 3-4 inches higher then what they are.

I just bought a 17" coil for the CTX but haven't received it. I heard that it was a good coil for open areas. So far I am happy with the stock and 6" coil and sometimes it is a toss up for me on which one to use, because I like them both.

It does take a while to learn the CTX. Right now, I am tweaking and learning the different programs. Until recently, I wasn't aware of the "previous mode" feature on the detector, so I will switch between the program that I know and other programs to verify targets and see how the programs responds. Minelab packs a lot of features in a small number of buttons, which creates a learning curve in itself. One minute you push a button and it means one thing and when you hold it down, it does something totally different. In the case of the "previous mode" button you have to set it up between programs and it will not save the setting once you turn the detector off.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beast of a coil. I can use it with lower rod sucked in pretty tight a couple hours if targets are numerous. On the beach where I extend it out all the way I have to have a harness on to use it. It's very sensitive to small targets and pinpoints surprisingly well.

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent point about using different coils at the same time, I think the coil manufacturers or minelab need to develop a larger coil with a smaller one inside of it. With a switch on or switch off the size coil you need at the particular site. No need to switch coils on and off just flick the switch and voila.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent point about using different coils at the same time, I think the coil manufacturers or minelab need to develop a larger coil with a smaller one inside of it. With a switch on or switch off the size coil you need at the particular site. No need to switch coils on and off just flick the switch and voila. Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
That is a goo idea if they could keep the weight down on it I would buy that in a heartbeat! The only draw back I have found with the CTX is the lack of a 8"coil. Some places are to trashy for a stock coil and to big for the 6" both coils work great but having a 8" coil would be great.

Dig until your arm falls off

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a goo idea if they could keep the weight down on it I would buy that in a heartbeat! The only draw back I have found with the CTX is the lack of a 8"coil. Some places are to trashy for a stock coil and to big for the 6" both coils work great but having a 8" coil would be great. Dig until your arm falls off
Word on the street is Coiltek is coming out with CTX coils soon!!! An 8" would be awesome.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word on the street is Coiltek is coming out with CTX coils soon!!! An 8" would be awesome.
I hope so I'll be the first one to buy it. Between my brother and I one of us end up saying " man I wish I had a 8" coil" every time we go out

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys will the stock11" coil be a good all around coil for me? Can't see affording any other ones in near future so will be hunting. Beach, water, pasture, some fields .

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the 11" is fine for what you describe. 6" is great for parks and other tight spots with a lot of targets close together, doesn't sound like you need it right off.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys will the stock11" coil be a good all around coil for me? Can't see affording any other ones in near future so will be hunting. Beach, water, pasture, some fields . D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Yes it will be fine. The 17" just came with mine during ML promotion and I'm trading in 2 machines I don't use towards a 6". The 11" is my favorite coil over the 17" and very deep. Has the snow even cleared up any where you can use iit yet? That has to be hard to have a CTX in hand and not use it for 3 months.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch won't be till end of April we are getting hit hard right this minute with a bad storm and iam suppose to drive 2 hours today to see knee surgeon today :(

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that the stock coil does 80% of what I need. I have mainly needed the 6 inch for in the woods and on uneven terrain. It does make it easier to find targets in trashy areas, but I can do quite a bit with the 11 inch coil. I recently started to wiggle and barely move the stock coil and I can get around a lot of the trash most of the time.

I agree with a 8 inch coil. Seems almost too big a jump to go from a 6 to an 11. I wouldn't even attempt to use anything bigger then the 11 inch coil if I didn't have a Pro Swing to wear.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm patiently awaiting an 8" Coiltek.

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't knocking the CTX its just I noticed that people where using different coils and some time that means that people are having issues that's all or it could mean that the coils where made readily which isn't always the case. So was just a observation that is all its a bit of coin to not look at everything, but still thinking of getting one.

Last edited:

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't knocking the CTX its just I noticed that people where using different coils and some time that means that people are having issues that's all or it could mean that the coils where made readily which isn't always the case. So was just a observation that is all its a bit of coin to not look at everything, but still thinking of getting one.

It's not a problem with the machine it's a fast deep machine but the problem is some places I hunt and others hunt even the small 6" is to big, because we hunt 200+ year old homes and a ton of trash and nails. Or the "hunted out" old parks you can hit with a 17" and come out with a bag of stuff. The stock coil isa great all around but if your doing it right you should need different sizes coils for different sites or conditions.

Dirtydog

Apr 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm just learning the 3030. But man do I love this machine. I have the 6-11 and 17 inch coil. and while the 3030 is not cheap and the coils are not cheap, IMHO it is the one to have for the beach and for trashy areas.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never used an etrac but just upgraded from an explorer se to the ctx3030. To me, the ctx is a great improvement and yet VERY familiar. But the weight is prohibitively burdensome. The engineers at minelab are either giant strongmen or they never use their own detectors.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used an etrac but just upgraded from an explorer se to the ctx3030. To me, the ctx is a great improvement and yet VERY familiar. But the weight is prohibitively burdensome. The engineers at minelab are either giant strongmen or they never use their own detectors.

Really? I can swing my 3030 all day long without problem. My E-Trac was different, I had to use a small coil or else use a harness with it. It's not the weight of the detector, it's the balance and the engineers finally got it right with the 3030.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really? I can swing my 3030 all day long without problem. My E-Trac was different, I had to use a small coil or else use a harness with it. It's not the weight of the detector, it's the balance and the engineers finally got it right with the 3030.
I wish I could. 3 hrs in and my arm cant take it. Its not pain just outright fatigue. So I made a shoulder mount yesterday and plan to try it out next week. The machine however is incredible so I have to make it work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread