Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

saltwater_max

Jan 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
All Brands,Whites Garrett,Tesoro,Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, just looking for some overall opinions on the CTX3030, any known issues { I thought I had read something about a headphone issue ??}, pro's, con's, etc, thanks!
well it is a Nice boat anchor! Heavy will find silver the same as a etrac you have to ask yourself what you want, if you're looking for an all terrain detector that you can put in water in find silver have a GPS note that I never used if I didn't need for any of those users I would just buy any etrack much lighter and at the same time it's a lot cheaper as well resale value hasn't been very good either

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people that will give negative reviews on the CTX 3030 is #1- folks that doesn't have one, #2- folks that can't learn to use one properly.

Took me some hrs on it but I'm confident with the CTX when it counts. I've had mine about one year. The proof is in the finds.

The only downside is cost. The advertised weight is a negative, but the balance and ergonomics is outstanding. I can swing all day, unlike my old explorer xs.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read that one of the seals (battery?) can be tricky to reinstall; it is a 1 way to orientate it and it isn't clear which is correct unless you are paying CLOSE attention. I see one in my future one day.

saltwater_max

Jan 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people that will give negative reviews on the CTX 3030 is #1- folks that doesn't have one, #2- folks that can't learn to use one properly. Took me some hrs on it but I'm confident with the CTX when it counts. I've had mine about one year. The proof is in the finds. The only downside is cost. The advertised weight is a negative, but the balance and ergonomics is outstanding. I can swing all day, unlike my old explorer xs.
i have had 2 both good detectors and found a lot of finds but it's not what's it's cracked up 2 be to each there own option after using the xp deus all other machine suck for me the deus is a no brainer

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only people that will give negative reviews on the CTX 3030 is #1- folks that doesn't have one, #2- folks that can't learn to use one properly.

Ah yes! The save face response of the Minelab elite! If you don't like the high end Minelabs it HAS to be because you can't learn it!

saltwater_max

Jan 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes! The save face response of the Minelab elite! If you don't like the high end Minelabs it HAS to be because you can't learn it!
i know the minelab got 150 hrs on the ctx not saying it's not a good detector I'm saying 5 lb detectors don't thrill me when I can take a 1.9 lb xp deus and hunt circles around you'

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i know the minelab got 150 hrs on the ctx not saying it's not a good detector I'm saying 5 lb detectors don't thrill me when I can take a 1.9 lb xp deus and hunt circles around you'

Settle down slick, it wasn't directed at you. If you take the time and re-read it, you might understand it.

Last edited:

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to help you. I have used and owned every model of Minelab from the explorer Se on and now have had the CTX for almost a year and I love it. The Etrac is a great machine but the CTX is truly better. The reason I say this with confidence is I have lots of hours on both machine and have put them head to head in real world detecting NOT targets I put in the ground myself. I sold my etrac to my hunting buddy and have spent countless hours checking targets for each other to see what each machine is telling us. Then digging the target and the CTX out pro formed the etrac on a ton of targets. As far as the CTX I would not trade it for any other machine it truly is fantastic. One reason that it's great is you can almost completely customize the sounds and in a high trash/iron setting make it so certain targets pop out better. Changing the seal is easy and I haven't needed to do it yet but have just to see what it was like. The weight is not bad because of the balance and has never caused me to have any issues. If you have any more question about machines PM me.

Dig until your arm falls off

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
I am always hesitant to jump into these generic "which is better" type discussions, but I can tell you that I own the Whites V3i, CTX 3030, XP Deus and two Teknetics. They are all good machines. You can spend thousands of dollars chasing that last inch in the ground. In my mild soil in central Mississippi there is no clear deeper machine as there are so many variables.

Back to your question, I have had zero issues with my CTX, works great, awesome at coin shooting! While it is heavy it is very well balanced. I even use the 17x13 coil sometimes and it's a beast, but still not horrible. If you buy a CTX you will be happy.

HH
Good luck
Robert

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an awesome detector. The headphone issue is that some aftermarket headphones don't turn off the speaker audio when plugged directly into the detector jack. No problem when plugging into the wireless module or using the headphones included with the detector. The O rings and O Ring channel do need to be cleaned often to insure that you don't get sand affecting the waterproof capability.

I dig a lot less trash, and enjoy finding small iron on top of good targets, the multiple target ID is very helpful.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an awesome detector. The headphone issue is that some aftermarket headphones don't turn off the speaker audio when plugged directly into the detector jack. No problem when plugging into the wireless module or using the headphones included with the detector. The O rings and O Ring channel do need to be cleaned often to insure that you don't get sand affecting the waterproof capability. I dig a lot less trash, and enjoy finding small iron on top of good targets, the multiple target ID is very helpful. Wayne www.metaldetectingstuff.com

I agree with everything said. I use some sony headphones I got because I hate the big headphone that come with the machine and have had zero problems

Dig until your arm falls off

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Amen to that ! +1

The CTX won't let you down, I'm a beach user and its a incredible performer, I've dug many many coins with big nails that came in the scoop too, I had an Xcal2 and when I bought the CTX I was regreting it 2 hrs later, but since the first day I used I knew that I should've bought the ctx since day 1, awesome machine.

I now feel very confident with it and I still learn something new each time I take it out for a spin, I know which signals to dig and which ones to ignore, I use the combined tone mode so I have coins in the 5 tone range so before I dig a target I know what to expect.

Last edited:

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the OP ask for opinions on the CTX 3030 not comparisons. I'd like to try some other high end machines but yer not gonna pull the CTX out of my hands for some time. I just upgraded last christmas to the CTX from an explorer xs, so I guess I am a Minelab snob.

The proof is in the finds.

HH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Took me some hrs on it but I'm confident with the CTX when it counts. I've had mine about one year. The proof is in the finds.

The only downside is cost. The advertised weight is a negative, but the balance and ergonomics is outstanding. I can swing all day, unlike my old explorer xs.

Good honest review.

I swing both regularly, by far my two favorite detectors! Very different from each other but both have their place in my arsenal. There is NO perfect detector. No one detector will do it all. They are tools. Right tool for the right job. My CTX 3030 has been in the salt water many times with zero issues. XP Deus zero issues as well. LOVE LOVE LOVE them both!

Feel free to give me a ring. I can answer all your questions about either and tell you their strengths and weaknesses.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just considering a machine that I can take in the water and not worry about it. The ctx seems good due to the fact that most of it's users rate it high on land use as well. I like the versatility of a good high end machine that can be used on land or in the water. The ctx seems to fit the bill, but I'm a bit apprehensive with trying to learn that thing. Still haven't mastered my Safari yet!

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just for the fact that you can swing it so comfortably made it worth the extra money for me. The waterproof, and faster processor are added benefits. My son swings an etrac and I swing a ctx 3030. He metal detects way more than me and found 118 silvers compared to my 62. I don't think I get anymore depth than him, or find any less coins than him when we swing together, but I don't get a sore back like he does. The wireless is nice also.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
After using an ExplorerII for over 5 years and finding 1300 silver coins with,I got a 3030 about a month ago.I had no intention of getting one until this summer when hunting a very old ,very pounded NYC park,I saw a group of people I hunted with ,over a period of months,pull out of an area I thought was fill and sterile,hundreds of IH's,20 or so seated's ect.,when I could hardly find anything!I know to use an Explorer,but I could see I was outclassed in this situation.My impressions so far are: 1) I was able to hit oldies in this area that I could not with the Explorer at extreme depth. 2) The tone sounds suck compared to an Explorer,when I could hunt by ear and when I had silver I knew it,On 3030 the tones blend together and you can't tell silver and this is after adjusting the tone profile. 3) It is heavy like an Explorer but better balanced and I still use a harness.My conclusion so far,It can be great unit for me but in some situations where the silver is not super deep and the area is trashy I will use the Explorer with the sunray inline probe that I do miss a lot.HH

Damien121812

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased one, and have alot to learn for sure. This machine is great so far. I have had it for a little over 3 weeks, and used it twice at the beach. Spent several hours at home with it on my lap reading the instructions, and doing air tests.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received mine today and trying to learn all the different settings etc, can't use it till spring but should have manual memorized by then lol. Some good people helping as well

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread