Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys...I just received my new Etrac a few days ago and haven't had the time off work to take it out yet. I am wanting to go ahead and get another battery for it though. Some questions..One. I have read on other past posts about how awesome the RNB lithium ion battery is. But, the Etrac owners manual says NOT to use lithium ion batteries. It can void your warranty. What gives? Two..am I right in assuming that if I were to purchase a Minelab battery, the 1800 would give a longer operation time over the 1600? And lastly....approximately (and I know it is an approximation) what kind of operation time can I expect out of the Minelab battery on the Etrac? Any input would be greatly appreciated........Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting 12-14 hours out of the factory rechargeable. I just use the alkaline pack for a backup. I wouldn't use anything that would void the warranty.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here Cudamark. The stock battery last me 2-3 hunts easily. I just keep alkaline backup in my Pro-Tector on the machine if I'm walking far away from my vehicle.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can can plan an all day hunt with the stock battery without hesitation. It will usually go deep into a second long hunt before needing a charge. Multiple short hunts are no problem. A few years back I bought a used spare... Both it and the 4 years old original are going strong. They generally last a long time.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys...I just received my new Etrac a few days ago and haven't had the time off work to take it out yet. I am wanting to go ahead and get another battery for it though. Some questions..One. I have read on other past posts about how awesome the RNB lithium ion battery is. But, the Etrac owners manual says NOT to use lithium ion batteries. It can void your warranty. What gives? Two..am I right in assuming that if I were to purchase a Minelab battery, the 1800 would give a longer operation time over the 1600? And lastly....approximately (and I know it is an approximation) what kind of operation time can I expect out of the Minelab battery on the Etrac? Any input would be greatly appreciated........Thanks.

Yes the 1800 gives you about 20% more detecting time.

I can tell you the RNB battery is as good or better than advertised on it performance.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart, does it void the warranty as the OP mentioned?

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. I think based on what I've read and my own "gut" feeling, I'm gonna just stick with the Minelab batteries. No doubt the RNB is all that many say that it is.......I just can't afford to risk any warranty issues should a problem arise.....thanks fellas.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am going to buy me one of the RNB batterys as soon as I scrap enough change out of the ground for one, I am getting close :laughing7:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart, does it void the warranty as the OP mentioned?

I nor any other dealer can answer that honestly. You would have to get that answer directly from Minelab. I can tell you my E-Trac is far out of warranty and it works perfect in mine for many many hours!

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I bought a RNB for my E-Trac (it is 4 years old) this past spring. I was impressed by two things about the battery. First off right out of the box it took two hours or less to get a full charge. Second, I average two or three hours per hunt, and hunt on a average three times a week. This battery lasted all summer and part of the fall before it needed another charge. My rechargeable that came with the machine needed a recharge at least every second or third use. I don't even worry about a back up anymore. The battery has given my machine absolutely not problems what so ever. Yes it was expensive, but well worth it.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're convinced you don't need a spare, that's when you will need one! Nothing worse than going to a choice site and finding you have a bad piece of equipment. I have spare everything except the things I need the most.....you know.....legs, back, fingers, etc! :laughing7:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you're convinced you don't need a spare, that's when you will need one! Nothing worse than going to a choice site and finding you have a bad piece of equipment. I have spare everything except the things I need the most.....you know.....legs, back, fingers, etc! :laughing7:

I always take the spare battery holder full of AA's. Its a LONG drive home! lol

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
YES and I keep a spare battery pack loaded with double A's in my back pack. But for the first time since I've owned my E-Trac I never had a need for it, and when the battery finally needed recharged it took less then two hours to bring it back to peek. I simply got tired of constantly buying Double A's. As far as I'm concerned it was a great purchase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions