Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of a problem with them in cold weather.... Did it change when you brought it back inside?

In any event, you probably should start with a factory reset, then make sure the latest firmware is installed.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a new owner of a ctx.I was hunting a local beach yesterday and the screen started to go haywire,if you wanted to change from screen to screen it would not respond to anything you did on the pad.It was a cold day,around freezing.Started the machine up in the house this am and I don't seem to have any problem.Is this machine finicky in the COLD?

Very strange. I have hunted in very similar condition many times.

Sounds an awful lot like a stuck or half way down pressed button. I have seen that happen. If it does it again press on all the buttons to assure none are half way down.

Holler if you need help!

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the CTX for about a year now and have encountered what you are describing. How low was your battery? I have found that when the battery is discharged and the battery icon is red that the machine will become erratic. Very erratic.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm a new owner of a ctx.I was hunting a local beach yesterday and the screen started to go haywire,if you wanted to change from screen to screen it would not respond to anything you did on the pad.It was a cold day,around freezing.Started the machine up in the house this am and I don't seem to have any problem.Is this machine finicky in the COLD?

I've had that problem happened to me twice in one day out of 30 or so hunts, just turned it off and on and never happened again that day and (crosses fingers) haven't happened again since.

I'd recommend you to reset the detector, push the power button untill you hear a beep and a screen shows up, select reset everything, I do it too when I have the strange feeling the detector is not as deep as sometimes, I may be wrong but it only takes 2 minutes to reset it and load my saved pattern in Xchange2.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am going with battery; make sure you are troubleshooting with a fully charged one.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with half full battery or climate conditions, since when it happened to me it was 100% full, less than 15 min of hunting and where I live climate is in the 80's-90's all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread