I found her in a pawn shop ...

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a Sovereign GT in a local pawn shop. I know nothing about Minelabs. I hunted civil war from the late 70's til the mid 90's then I got out. i been back in for 3 months. I am very loyal to Tesoros. i have had a whole bunch of them going all the way back to The Inca and ElDorado. I'm swinging a Tejon. What say you ? Will I regret not buying this GT in the pawn shop ? Price is not an issue. Performance is. What say you ?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sovereign GT was the last version of the Sovereign series to be produced, only recently discontinued... its a great solid performer, still loved and used by many. If its priced right, grab it - you will not be disappointed.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great depth on that machine! What was the price?

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If the price is right, id go ahead, not long ago they were 795 at kellyco new.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go for it. It's a deep machine and a better relic machine than most give it credit for. It also has ground tracking if you're in mineralized soils. I was a Tesoro fan until I bought a GT.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$795 new so most pawn shops probably are only asking $950.... lol At least that's how it seems to go here in East Tennessee.

Truer words have not been spoken. I have never been in a pawn shop that didn't charge 20% over retail on their used stuff. Other than raping people that bring in stolen gold and silver, I cant see how they make any money.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made some great buys at pawnshops. Got my explorer 5 years ago for $400, just the other day a 705 with the two coil pack, and lesche digger fo $500. The 705 looks like it has never been used. I always offer way less and they get in the computer and hehaw around and usually take my offer.

OP
OP
roaddust66

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe $600 is the price. I know the owners and could probably throw some cash down on the counter and buy it for a little less. Thanks for all the imput. The years have rolled by fast and many things in the hobby are new. Minelabs were very rare around here. They were not the great performer then as they are now and mostly used in Virgina and not here. In those days it was hard to beat a 1266X or Eldorado hip mount with a 11" wide scan. About pawn shops. I know how they are. But I have been lucky recently. I have bought two detectors in pawn shops of late. I bought my wife an Ace 350 for $200 in like new condition and a Tesoro Silver Umax in like new condition for $175 ... so not all pawn shops are sleezy rip off but most are. Thanks for all the good advice and remember , its not a hobby ! It's a passion !

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made some great buys at pawnshops. Got my explorer 5 years ago for $400, just the other day a 705 with the two coil pack, and lesche digger fo $500. The 705 looks like it has never been used. I always offer way less and they get in the computer and hehaw around and usually take my offer.
I bet you they didn't give some poor broke soul $200 for the 705. It's legalized robbery!

OP
OP
roaddust66

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay , one more question. If i don't buy this GT and wait and save my money which Minelab machine should I set my sights on someday for hunting Civil War ? There are so many models , it's confusing . Thanks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX would be my first choice. The Etrac a very close second. The CTX is perfectly balanced, waterproof, wireless headphones, GPS for mapping hunts and finds, target trace, and has combined audio. They are both good machines. The CTX is a little faster and more accurate at depth on targets. There are many comparisons all over the web, just goggle it and study up on the two. I was told by a dealer today that in the last 6 months the Etrac sales have really tapered off as the CTX has become more and more popular. You can find used Etracs for 800-$900 that are like new condition. Good luck and HH.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Tejon and I thought I needed the Gt. What a mistake. I hated that thing. My one and only adventure into Minelabs.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truer words have not been spoken. I have never been in a pawn shop that didn't charge 20% over retail on their used stuff. Other than raping people that bring in stolen gold and silver, I cant see how they make any money.

I was really talking more about Champs reply, just that what I have seen on many items they ask close to retail on some things that are pretty beat up. I've pawned and sold things in my younger days and know what they offer people on stuff and the extremely high interest rates they charge on pawns. I wasn't saying you were robbing anyone for talking them down.

OP
OP
roaddust66

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And Champ... I hunted your area over there back in the 80's. I looked for Champ Ferguson camps and Colonel Dibrell camps over there. Been up on that Calfkiller River up way past Yankeetown ! Did I find anything ? I ain't tellin' ! I may want to buy a new MineLab and go back over there ! ( grin )

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay , one more question. If i don't buy this GT and wait and save my money which Minelab machine should I set my sights on someday for hunting Civil War ? There are so many models , it's confusing . Thanks

Great advice there from Fletch- the CTX 3030 and Etracs are great relic hunters in normal soils.

If your soils are mineralized, though and cost is no object - consider a GPX 4800/5000. Yes they are VERY pricey, but once you see what they do in a relic field you will never doubt your purchase. I personally borrowed one and tried it in the mineralized northern VA soils with no intent to ever spend that much money on a detector. That one trip out with the detector quickly changed my mind, and I bought one (before being a dealer). Those two machines have no equal at the moment. The price, though, puts them out of reach for many if not most. :sadsmiley:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
What point are you trying to make? Should I feel bad?
huh ? Are you a pawnbroker ? I have no problem dealing with them myself. I spent a few years selling used cars so I know how to play the game. Last purchase was a small flat screen tv the wife wanted for an RV we owned at the time. Tag was $179. I told the guy I wasn't in the mood to dick around and had stuff to do. Laid a crisp $100 on the counter and said I was going to go look at a few other things. When I get back if the $100 is still there I'll pick it up and go home. If it's gone I'll take the tv & go home. No hard feelings either way. Bet you can guess how it turned out...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread