EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to send my excal in to be serviced by Minelab. When it came back it had all new o-rings and they were noticeably tighter than before. If it's not a very old unit, I wouldn't worry about it. Just take the knobs off and make sure it's clean under them.

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are the knobs slipping? Which knobs in particular? I replaced the stock knobs with some radio shack ones with a screw but after reading that those may cause damage I switched back.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Every year every Excalibur should have the O rings checked, I have worked on about 20 in the last 3 months and 15 out of the 20 needed O rings.,.,two were Excalibur II's, every blue one needed o rings except one. You have to check with a loop to make sure they are not starting to crack. I have even seen 2 Excalibur II's where the orings were coming up out of the seats, and both were the PP/Disc knobs. I have to do a vid on changing very soon, very easy to do and once done you just silicon grease them good, then check every end of season. And a big misconception is there is 3 orings blocking the water from entering the pod...there is only one (the top oring), the other 2 are in place to maintain the position of the shaft, once the top is cracked/damaged the other two will not stop the water.

These two different xcalibur II's
as you can tell one is total dry
the other was not dry it has just came out of it's
seat
the rest of the orings on that xcal II were fine. So it
shows this is something if you hunt in the saltwater
a lot you should check ever end of season. no matter the age of the machine..

OBN0094 (2).jpg OBN0104.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, is there an O-ring kit for end caps and switches available from ML?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No but I may do a o ring kit for it, they are very cheap and really the only one that you need worry about is the top, seems like out of the 20 I have done in the last few months it was only the top o rings that had issues. The two lowers were fine on ever machine. Except one......and it was a very early model which I have only seen one like this....

3 Oring sword 2 Orings only Sword model

OBN0088 (2).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread