Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh what was that you said i could not hear you ?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use it for field hunting to locate old home sites and determine trash levels. And if it wasn't too much coil for the site I'd keep using it.
Solid bottom coils are nice for hunting anywhere that there's anything to hang up on.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
You did not indicate which CoilTek platypus coil you got, there are 2 types of platypus 12x8" elliptical coils.....DD and Mono.................... The DD is very nice to use on a Whites TDI Pro and a bonus is you do not need Minelab Authorisation.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You did not indicate which CoilTek platypus coil you got, there are 2 types of platypus 12x8" elliptical coils.....DD and Mono.................... The DD is very nice to use on a Whites TDI Pro and a bonus is you do not need Minelab Authorisation.
.. It is the DD coil..8x12...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bought a coil just to buy the coil? How do you not have the use in mind before you shop for the item?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been a gift.
Or it could have been used and too cheap to pass up. It's not at the top of my list of must have coils, but if it were offered to me cheap enough I'd buy it just to try, and re-sell if it didn't fit my program.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a used Minelab detector and it came with 3 coils… That is how i got it … And one of the 3 coils that came with it was the Coiltek Platypus ..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide that you don't want it, I have a 10" Slimline that I got the same way that I'd trade you for it.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two versions of the Platypus... I think you are talking about the one for the FBS machines... in that case its just another option.

If you are talking about the GPX version (available in DD or Mono), its one of the few coils for that detector which are waterproof. The DD version reacts very similiarly to the stock 11" DD GPX coil on relics, which have been known to die when operated in excessively wet conditions. Most relic hunters have/use one if hunting in wet conditions.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There are two versions of the Platypus... I think you are talking about the one for the FBS machines... in that case its just another option.

If you are talking about the GPX version (available in DD or Mono), its one of the few coils for that detector which are waterproof. The DD version reacts very similiarly to the stock 11" DD GPX coil on relics, which have been known to die when operated in excessively wet conditions. Most relic hunters have/use one if hunting in wet conditions.
Yes it is a FBS detector a Quattro and he did say the coil was waterproof'… Image 3.jpg …... Image 2.jpg

Last edited:

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am thinking of a platypus for my Sov Elite. DD 12/8 for parks and beach. What ya'll think ?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe for the beach...might be a bit big for most of our junky urban parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread