Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in love with my new 705, so much I have just picked up 2 new coils and have them on the way right now, I also have on order a Minelab pinpointer. Would love to have a little feedback from anyone that has one or has used it as well as other models. I know the subject has been dragged around a few times after searching past threads but - same as everything, if you ask 100 guys, you get 200 different answers, everyone loves what they have, mostly because thats what they have, others love what someone they respect uses, looking for real opinions is all, thanks a ton in advance

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Pro Pointer or MineLab Pointer Both Are Great Pinpointer's.

Note= I like garrett for the customer service & warranty it is great. I have my garrett pro pointer sent to them right now because I have worn the tip out & they are sending me a new one in the box free of charge so I will stick with my garrett but like I said minelabs are great pointers also my buddy has one it works just as good as my garrett. That is about what everyone else will say also just my epinion. :thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the smaller diameter of the Garrett better, but the Minelab has a much brighter light which is good at night. Also, I have found the Garrett seems to have lees of a delay between when you press the on button and when it's ready to scan for target(s). The Profind is a little finicky during its startup. It's really a toss up though, but when hunting in daylight I find myself reaching for the Propointer because it slips in and out of my pouch easier.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Garrett and the Minelab pinpointers. I like the fact that the Garrett vibrates stronger than the Minelab, but I like being able to turn off the sound on the Minelab. I don't like to bring attention to myself when detecting, and the Garrett lets everyone nearby know something is going on nearby. I do now tape the speaker on the Garrett over for noise reduction or elimination as needed. I have never tried the Detector Pro or the Vibraprobe, but I agree that the Minelab and Garrett pinpointers are great tools.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. The Garrett has a slightly better detection distance, but the Minelab is adjustable. I carry both; I use the Garrett most of the time, but when I cant seem to locate what part of the hole the target is in, I break out the Minelab with sensitivity dialed back. I have also cannibalized the battery from the Minelab when the Garrett went dead, so it works as a spare battery carrier too! :icon_thumleft:

If I had to have just one, it'd be the Garrett.

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
Like others, I have and use both. In my dirt the Minelab is def. deeper, but much quieter. The Garret is more robust and loud and easy to hear with headphones on, not so with the Minelab. While slightly different, you would be happy with either. If you are using headphones I would go with the Garret

HH
Robert

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used and own 5 different pin pointers and like the UniProbe the best. I like having the sound going through my headphones, the small probe, the depth, and no chance of accidentally dropping it/losing it. No extra holster needed either. I just slip the probe into my pouch when not in use. The only downside is the switches stick out and are easily flipped accidentally....a minor annoyance. They aren't the most comfortable headphones I've ever used so you may want to try on a pair before you buy, if you can.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Overall, I like the Garrett better, but out of two I bought, one was always weak and it started having problems within a very short while. That is the only problem I have with the Garrett, otherwise it is a great pinpointer.

I've had a couple of pro finds which I bought and sold. They are slightly bigger and the vibration and sound is a little less and more quiet than the propointer.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to had both, they are both really good & similar but different in my opinion
- propointer, has a led light works but not really bright,great vibration when in a hole looking for a target,its decently loud & gets louder closer you get to ur target
- profind25, nice bright light, great ability to ad or take away some of the sensitivity,does both like the propointer in vibrating & beeping closer to target
Compared to each other,
-light is better on profind
-I feel you can be a lot more rough with the propointer, just seems more solid
-adjustable sensitivity goes hands down minelabe
All in all either are a great choice can't go wrong with either I always just brought both cuz I couldn't decide

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both Minelab and Garrett, Minelab is my tool of choice because it never falses.

I like the sound of the Garrett and the vibration strength better, but the minelab is a little deeper and more reliable.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Lots of responses already but I will give mine anyway. I own the garrett, and it is the best pinpointer I have used so far. It does false and I had to send it in due to the constant falsing, but it was promptly replaced with a brand new one. So far almost a year in since the replacement the falsing has been minimal.

I dont know if the minelab pointer can do this but I would think it can as they look very similar in design, but you can boost the depth of the garrett by wearing a ring on your hand and sliding it down with the pinpointer on until the beeping just stops. When you stick it in the hole looking for a target this technique will make the garrett get a couple more inches of detecting depth. And I have had to use this technique a lot since getting the etrac as the signals are deeper.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of responses already but I will give mine anyway. I own the garrett, and it is the best pinpointer I have used so far. It does false and I had to send it in due to the constant falsing, but it was promptly replaced with a brand new one. So far almost a year in since the replacement the falsing has been minimal.

I dont know if the minelab pointer can do this but I would think it can as they look very similar in design, but you can boost the depth of the garrett by wearing a ring on your hand and sliding it down with the pinpointer on until the beeping just stops. When you stick it in the hole looking for a target this technique will make the garrett get a couple more inches of detecting depth. And I have had to use this technique a lot since getting the etrac as the signals are deeper.

Yes the minelabe has that advantage it has the increase & decrease button on top so no need for the coin or ring or anything

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for property irons at work, and in frozen ground you don't wanna be digging more than you need. I do MD as well. must be the thrill of discovery!

I got a ProPointer about a year ago, and I can't imagine anything better. Depth is decent, and pinpointing is great. It vibrates, which in high noise places is nice. I use it a lot, in fact take it with me all the time, which is really a test of usability. I beat it up, like everything I own, and it takes it.

I found this:

[video=youtube;WCGAhi_2HcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_314644&feature=iv&s rc_vid=uisF7fWYeFc&v=WCGAhi_2HcI[/video]

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good,vid only thing is,with those is each person doin the test will probly have different results I mean ull find one comparison showing the propointer beating the profind no problem then another entirely different person doin the same test with total opposite results being the profind beat the propointer. Needless to say they are both awesome pointers, & u can't go wrong with either really they both have lights,both have similar tones,both vibrate,both get just about the same depth, probly same guts with minelabe given u the + & - for sensitivity setting making it more expensive, u can do the same to the propointer with a simple coin. Bottom line both are great tools so it will come down to what name u like more

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive owned and used both- the Minelab definitely has an advantage with less interference (turned off) when carried beside the GPX5000/4800, but when carried with most VLF detectors there isn't much difference at all between the two in performance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread