Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wrote the service center in Canada. They charge $80 an hour plus parts, which of course is fine. But they charge you for an hour labor if you choose not to fix the detector. So just to find out if it's worth it, it's going to cost me $100 when I include the shipping. I'm guessing I have a circuit board issue, and since my detector is only 4 years old I pretty much take it for granted it would be worth fixing, but just to be sure I asked for a quote. The reply I received states that if it's my main board that is bad it's almost as much as the new SE I just bought! $779 plus $120 in labor. Is that not the most insane thing you have ever heard, and is it the same for Minelab USA? I had several very bad experiences with Minelab back in the beginning when I bought my XS, but figured now that a decade had gone by they were done soaking people, lying, or making excuses, but guess I was wrong. Obviously I'm not saying they're lying or making excuses now, but just the truth is plenty bad! A week ago I bought a new SE because this, an explorer, is the detector I want to use for good, so having two sounded like a good idea, but now I may just have the one, and it seems these things after your warranty is up are basically just a piece of trash you can do nothing with. I guess you can you can collect the parts and have someone that's not authorized do the work, but should a good paying customer really have to deal with that? Does anyone have any experience with a recent board replacement on an Explorer, especially the main board? Obviously I have to take the chance on sending it in, but what a rotten situation I could lose a $100 if it's not worth fixing because the cost to repair is so stupid crazy. Make that $120 because they'll no doubt charge me to send it back.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason I do my own repairs, but I still need parts and they have that area cornered, they won't sell to anyone. So used parts as good as it gets...

Main board for the Excalibur, they want close to 800.oo, and I just seen they want 500. to 600. for the Elite Sovereign replacement. Cheaper to purchase a used unit. And it is quick money for them, I can install a Excalibur board from beginning to end in about 30 minutes....And they charge 75.oo an hour here in the USA. They have the best machines I believe, but also we must pay the price when repairs are needed. I feel for the CTX hunters after there warranty runs out, coils are 400.oo? Twice the average cost.....they have a plan....we can be apart of it or buy something else. Good Luck IP.....

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I checked, labor charges in the U.S. were $50/hr. I have no idea what main boards cost. If I recall correctly, to replace the face on my SE was going to cost $100 + 1hr labor.
Try sending Jeff in Pa a PM. He may be able to give you a better answer.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I do my own repairs, but I still need parts and they have that area cornered, they won't sell to anyone. So used parts as good as it gets...

Main board for the Excalibur, they want close to 800.oo, and I just seen they want 500. to 600. for the Elite Sovereign replacement. Cheaper to purchase a used unit. And it is quick money for them, I can install a Excalibur board from beginning to end in about 30 minutes....And they charge 75.oo an hour here in the USA. They have the best machines I believe, but also we must pay the price when repairs are needed. I feel for the CTX hunters after there warranty runs out, coils are 400.oo? Twice the average cost.....they have a plan....we can be apart of it or buy something else. Good Luck IP.....

Well I guess i have my answer... it is insane! Thanks for letting me know. So if the main board is that much it sure seems like even if it's one of the other two that's the issue it still might not be worth it. I am SO GLAD I did not buy an E-trac, never mind a CTX. If a company is going to make you junk your detector because they can't supply a board that will hold up to the test of time, then why would anyone want to spend that much money. I very well might sell it as is and cut my losses.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I checked, labor charges in the U.S. were $50/hr. I have no idea what main boards cost. If I recall correctly, to replace the face on my SE was going to cost $100 + 1hr labor.
Try sending Jeff in Pa a PM. He may be able to give you a better answer.

I have no problem with the cost per hour, but it seems that any board replacement will not be worth it, and I'm waiting for a quote on those. If it's anything over $400 I might as well just trash the thing.... make that store it for parts because my new SE will no doubt fall apart at some point.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
This post is from another forum, recent, from waterhunter, he ...feels your same pain...

Well you guys told me to let you know what happened with Minelabs service dept. Theres really too much to type word for word, but let me just say there service dept SUCKS! On Nov.20th I sent my Sovereign Elite into there service dept, well on Dec 3rd I get a call from a tech named John, this is what he said,(keep in mind this is a tech talking) he said I took a look at your Sovereign and I cant find whats wrong with it, so Ill have to change the main board and that will cost between $500.00 or $600.00 .I said WHAT! Why dont you put it on the bench and find out what is wrong with it, He said(now keep in mind this is a tech talking) oh man there is like a million parts on that board and at $75.00 an hour itll just take to long to check it out. I went crazy and said let me talk to your supervisor, the guy gets on the phone and said well changing the main board is the quickest solution, I said at 5 or $600.00 are you kidding me. So to make a long story short I contacted the general manager his name is Shafer, The guy cared less, then I found the company that owns Minelab its named Codan they bought Minelab so I wrote a letter to the C.E.O. a Gentleman named Donald McGurk, and never heard from him. So let me say you cant beat a Minelab detector, but once the warranty runs out, YOURE DONE. So if any body has a main board lying around and would like to sell it at a reasonable price, please let me know. Thanks guys.

Oldebeechnut response
They make some great detectors but the prices for parts are crazy. Ron is right, sell the parts you have and get a GT. And used parts are becoming hard to find so you should be able to recop some of the cost for a newer machine..Good Luck...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with repair center at Kellyco. Dave and his brother do great work. He may have spare boards from dead machines. ...

The failing part is not always obvious to see and easy to find, especially if it is interment issue, that is why if it isn't obvious they replace motherboard..

I install Cisco routers, they are not cheap, ($1500-$5000+ each) we do not trouble shoot past fans, memory cards and vwic cards, it is cheaper time wise to replace entire unit than trouble shoot the components..

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ironpatch, you know Minelab detectors very well and even though those machines are considered the best, it is a very scary thought to say the least to purchase an expensive unit only to have a problem with it soon after the warranty expires. I was seriously considering a Minelab Etrac not long ago but after reading this, I've definitely reconsidered. $80 an hour! You're better off buying a brand new machine if it costs that much to replace the circuit board. That is mind blowing! I'd be too paranoid in the field with it! I'm not knocking Minelab by any means. So what does other companies charge per hour for labor just for comparisons sake?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is from another forum, recent, from waterhunter, he ...feels your same pain...

Yep, that's the old Minelab I remember, and see not a lot changed. The reason I have such an issue even at this point not knowing what is wrong is because I believe I'll get screwed, because it has happened before. Many years ago I sent my Explorer in for nothing more than a housing replacement, and included a note saying as much. About 2 weeks later I get an email asking how I wanted to pay the $300+ bill because a board had BEEN replaced. That was total BS not just because they didn't ask me first, it was total BS because there wasn't a thing wrong with the detector other than a bad camlock! So needless to say I don't have a great deal of confidence with this company, and this time around I do believe it is likely a board issue, just never thought it would amount to such a level of not being worth fixing. I'm just so sure it's going to be the main board regardless of what is actually wrong, there's a good chance I won't even bother sending it in to find out. And if the other boards are anywhere near as costly there really is no point anyway. Oh yeah, back years ago on that $300 bill I told them they were crazy and no way in hell I was going to pay.... and I didn't. The following week they shipped it back.

I think it's a brutal way to do business, basically making it so expensive people might as well buy a new unit, but I'm glad to know this now, and I'm sure so will everyone reading this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with repair center at Kellyco. Dave and his brother do great work. He may have spare boards from dead machines. ...

3%

Thanks. I may check around, but I'm not feeling too positive about it all right now, but is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironpatch, you know Minelab detectors very well and even though those machines are considered the best, it is a very scary thought to say the least to purchase an expensive unit only to have a problem with it soon after the warranty expires. I was seriously considering a Minelab Etrac not long ago but after reading this, I've definitely reconsidered. $80 an hour! You're better off buying a brand new machine if it costs that much to replace the circuit board. That is mind blowing! I'd be too paranoid in the field with it! I'm not knocking Minelab by any means. So what does other companies charge per hour for labor just for comparisons sake?

I don't have a problem with the hourly rate, it's the cost of the boards making it not worth fixing that is the problem. With the problem I had I do believe it's a board, and with the shipping and cost of labor, that alone is easily $150. Obviously a main board at $779 is a no brainer not to bother, but even if the other boards are $300, which I'm sure they are, it's getting to the point of making you think, and if $400 or $500 think a whole lot more. But the kicker is it is going to cost $100 just to find out, and as posted in the quote above, it seems they have no problem in just assuming it is the main board.... so bye bye $100+

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may not seem like good advice, but perhaps you were better off buying a new unit which could last much longer than the previous one.

In the meantime, Good Luck Ironpatch! Hope this situation gets resolved for you and this doesn't turn out as expensive as you originally thought.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it isn't the main board the $100.00 is applied towards the repair cost if you choose to have it repaired. I would be sure you check with Dave at kellyllyco before final decision.

He may be out of time at moment though as he didn't return my call....

3%

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For future reference good to know a name at Kellyco. That's where we got our Minelab from.Thanks TH.Ironpatch I hope you get your situation worked out.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received a message and if you have an internal problem like I do, and it's a board issue like I think I have, and it's not the LCD board which I assume is related to screen problems.... the cost to repair is $779 Ca (about $750 USD) And this does not include the labor, or cost to get the detector there. In other words... RIP Minelab SE Fall 2009 - Fall 2013.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said Dave may be able to fix it for you, just not sure if he is in town at the moment. His brother works in repair center at Kellyco too....

3%

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said Dave may be able to fix it for you, just not sure if he is in town at the moment. His brother works in repair center at Kellyco too....

3%

Yeah once the season rolls around I'm going to take it out and double check just to be 100% sure it's what I think it is. Then I'll decide what to do, but I'm pretty sure I won't bother wasting my money to have an explorer as back up, just not worth it. If something happens to my new SE and I have to send it in I'll buy something like an AT Pro and have it two days later. I was pretty fired up to have two explorers again, and was even going to buy a couple coils to try out this Spring, but now screw it, I'll go in cheap mode and won't bother spending anymore money than I have to.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For future reference good to know a name at Kellyco. That's where we got our Minelab from.Thanks TH.Ironpatch I hope you get your situation worked out.

Thanks, but I'm going to be fine either way. I'm lucky that I was able to just purchase a new detector, but sure feel for the person who broke their budget to get their dream detector and just one issue after their warranty is up turns it to scrap.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I install Cisco routers, they are not cheap, ($1500-$5000+ each) we do not trouble shoot past fans, memory cards and vwic cards, it is cheaper time wise to replace entire unit than trouble shoot the components..

Apples and Oranges here.. Cisco routers come with a life time free replacement guarantee. No crazy repair cost, no per hour charge to even look at 100% FREE!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apples and Oranges here.. Cisco routers come with a life time free replacement guarantee. No crazy repair cost, no per hour charge to even look at 100% FREE!

I'll pay $3,000 for an explorer if they give me that deal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread