Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have never owned, nor do I own an ATP. Never even used one. There sure seems to be an awful lot of them out there though and a lot of people seem to like it. But I also have wondered why ATP owners want to compare it to the Etrac. There are a TON of detectors out there that would make a better comparison. The Etrac, as has already been mentioned, is a different technology from the ATP. Not knocking a detector I have never used or one that seems to do a good job at making good finds, but the Etrac is in kind of a different class of detectors. And as far as separating good targets from trash.....like Fletch said, open the screen up and use TTF or even 4TF.......very impressive!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if OP has done any comparing signals with his friend and how did it go if you did?

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have thought about getting an at pro for water hunting, but I have the etrac and wouldn't trade it for any other land detector. It is amazing the depth it gets and the accuracy in determining what is in the ground at depth. I have a whites dfx too which is a fine machine, but since I have had the etrac I havent used it. The etrac finds the deeper targets and it should. It isn't cheap by any standard to own one. Is it worth it? that's subjective for everyone. If you like to have every odd in your favor i can't recommend enough the minelab fbs machines. I have had mine since September of 2013 and I am sold on minelab.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ATP and a Safari. I like them both. As others have said the ATP has a faster recovery time and can be swung faster. The Safari is much heavier and gets tiring on long hunts where there are few targets to stop and dig. I sometimes hunt with a couple of friends, one with an ATP, and one with an Etrac, and I use one or the other of my machines. No one of us consistently out hunts the others. No matter what machine you use you still have to get the coil over a target. There is no substitute for LUCK when detecting. Most coins in an undisturbed (never graded or landscaped or re-sodded) area will not be below six inches in depth even if the site is 200 years old, and I believe extreme depth capability is overrated for many hunting situations. Experience with one's machine is paramount, a person well experienced with a lower end machine will often do better than a person with little experience with a high end machine. I would try to use somebody's Etrac for a full day before you change up and buy one. A Safari has the same FBS technology and depth capabilities as the Etrac but is not backlit and has less target interpretation and is a less expensive alternative for the Etrac. Of course there is no real reason not to have more than one detector, many do, and use different ones in different situations.

Silverfishin

Greenie
Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure this applies with everyone but...I was using the Etrac and my wifey used the ATpro..she would find just as much clad even more at times then me. But, i would dig less trash, and i would find more silver, and dig a tad deeper. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
ATGoldGuy

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about the same results my buddy and I have been seeing. I love my Pro but I think I might give the Etrac a try and keep my AT Pro for river hunts and rainy days.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Minelabs like a higher mineralization soil. I had a lab explorer and for my soil the AT Pro I have now is better. Also I like a faster response. The Minelab is a slower machine. I know it sounds like I'm dawgin the lab but it depends on your soil. Just my thoughts on your subject.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two ATPros but will be adding to the tool box with a Etrac this'll spring , I have done real good with the ATP but sure I can do a little better!:laughing7:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like to me that comparing these two machines is like comparing the ATPro to the Fisher F75 ltd. I have both and like both for certain applications. Alot depends on the experience the user has with the machine. But a better comparison that i would like to see is the F75 ltd and Etrac... closer in price!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And hear I always thought the rival to the etrac was the v3i

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an E-Trac, and it took some getting used to. It IS a difficult machine to get used to, will drive you crazy for a bit and make you question whether it is working properly.

I LOVE it now :)

If you like your current detector, you can keep it!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have an E-Trac, and it took some getting used to. It IS a difficult machine to get used to, will drive you crazy for a bit and make you question whether it is working properly.

I LOVE it now :)

If you like your current detector, you can keep it!

Thats exactly how I feel. I hope no one but me owns an etrac in my neck of the woods lol. We have a few detectorists where I live but most own other brands. They can keep them, and I'll keep my etrac.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we all know it will never change everyone has there,opinion on what's best we all think we have the best & as long as companies are making newer & better its never gonna stop, what is said is true if u like what u got use it bells & whistles won't pull more out of the, ground knowledge on what ur using will, & just cuz its,a $1500+ machine it still isn't gonna make more items appear in the ground if its there its there. Which is why that's another thing to consider when you want to upgrade & spend the cash do you have enough spots to enjoy it either way lol its still hands,down the best hobby

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the rubber meets the road....is in the market place. Anyone that thinks that an ATP is as good as an E-Trac, should try to sell theirs for what a used E-Trac sells for.
The fact is that an E-Trac commands it's price for a reason. And I'm sorry if there are Garrett owners that can't understand that you really do get what you pay for, and that their ATP is a $500 detector with $100 of waterproofing design. It does not compare to a $1500 machine in any universe but theirs.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fletch88!! Yea I agree with your comment!! No one should use a MLab Etrac!! Too Heavy, Slow, and Complicated!! He He!! Why would anyone consider finding anything deeper, thinner, or more lucrative!! He He!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The undeniable truth is that people are constantly comparing the ATPro to machines that cost 2 or 3 times its price.....so it has to be a very good, capable machine. And i know this from experience(hundreds of hours) and a LOT of nice coins and relics. Is it as good as the Etrac? IDK....it shouldn't be.....but i dont care....it IS GOOD and thats all that matters. I also believe that nearly as many ATPros would have been sold if the price would have been say $200 more. My ATP paid for itself in less than 6 months. Will the 'high priced' machines do this? You better have some good huntin' spots, thats for sure! I have to question how long it will take my fairly new Fisher to pay for itself. And i also know that the enjoyment of the hobby is payment. So the thing everyone needs to remember is we do this for enjoyment and if you enjoy using a $150 Tesoro...great! If you prefer a $2500 CTX....thats fine also. Thanks, everyone and good luck!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The undeniable truth is that people are constantly comparing the ATPro to machines that cost 2 or 3 times its price.....so it has to be a very good, capable machine. And i know this from experience(hundreds of hours) and a LOT of nice coins and relics. Is it as good as the Etrac? IDK....it shouldn't be.....but i dont care....it IS GOOD and thats all that matters. I also believe that nearly as many ATPros would have been sold if the price would have been say $200 more. My ATP paid for itself in less than 6 months. Will the 'high priced' machines do this? You better have some good huntin' spots, thats for sure! I have to question how long it will take my fairly new Fisher to pay for itself. And i also know that the enjoyment of the hobby is payment. So the thing everyone needs to remember is we do this for enjoyment and if you enjoy using a $150 Tesoro...great! If you prefer a $2500 CTX....thats fine also. Thanks, everyone and good luck!
I've spent 10's of thousands of $$$ to go fishing, scuba diving, metal detecting, camping, hiking, motorcycling, etc. If you added it all up I'm about 20k in the hole vs finds and food in the freezer! It's all about what makes each of us happy! If I had to justify mortal detecting based on my finds, I would have to sit home. I usually find enough to buy a hamburger and a coke ( southern term for pop or soda ), but enjoy every minute of it! For me it's more about the history of an area and finding things that were possibly held by someone several decades or even centuries ago. Happy Hunting! Walt :)

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent 10's of thousands of $$$ to go fishing, scuba diving, metal detecting, camping, hiking, motorcycling, etc. If you added it all up I'm about 20k in the hole vs finds and food in the freezer! It's all about what makes each of us happy! If I had to justify mortal detecting based on my finds, I would have to sit home. I usually find enough to buy a hamburger and a coke ( southern term for pop or soda ), but enjoy every minute of it! For me it's more about the history of an area and finding things that were possibly held by someone several decades or even centuries ago. Happy Hunting! Walt :)

I agree with u 100%......some of my favorite finds are worthless or nearly so to most people. My reference to the ATP finding enough to pay for itself was merely to support the fact that it is a good machine....At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that we use a machine, hunt a spot, spend our hard earned money on what suites us each personally and makes each of us happy! And i guess with my money spent on deer hunting, deer meat is at around $100 a pound...lol! Thanks...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with u 100%......some of my favorite finds are worthless or nearly so to most people. My reference to the ATP finding enough to pay for itself was merely to support the fact that it is a good machine....At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that we use a machine, hunt a spot, spend our hard earned money on what suites us each personally and makes each of us happy! And i guess with my money spent on deer hunting, deer meat is at around $100 a pound...lol! Thanks...
Do you much Civil war digging DiggerinVa ? Isn't y'all's soil highly mineralized in many places?

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want a cheaper option go with the Safari. I have seen used ones for good prices.

I heard all the arguments and when I got my etrac then got a CTX 3030 when it came out all the arguments dont matter now , its no contest that ML is superior.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions