Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so wandering if my ground is not highly mineralized than ferrous/coin would be better that ground coin? And maybe a stupid question how do I know if my ground is it is not highly mineralized? D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating
Dean, I don't know if you have sensitivity display turned on or not. (Display-Detect Screen- Show Sensitivity) the member on the left will be the auto or manual level, while the number on the right will be the suggested level. If the number on the right stays in low teens or lower you may be swinging over mineralized soil and may do better with GB Enabled. I have good soil around here mine usually stays between 18-24 so I never run GB. Hope this helps, Fletch! HH when the ground thaws! You must be psyched about getting to hunt with new machine!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch that clears it up thankyoy , and YES I am , bad enough I can't get out and hunt and twice as bad haveing a new detector just sitting there lol

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good review... DD coils are tough to learn to pin point. Holler if you have questions!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quick question... My atp pro ground balanced out depending where I was at 78-89 so that means low mineralization correct?

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am back in the valley today, where the ground is not mineralized. I made some of the recommended changes. I then headed to a trashy 1940s park after work. I was amazed by this coil (Changed to 6 in Coil). It let me separate targets nicely, this also then let me gather more information on a possible target before I decide to dig.

I was still able to detect items at 7 inches which is pretty good penetration considering. I hit a wheat penny at 7 inches.

My settings

Pattern - Wide open (I was using trace to help determine if the target was legit. I usually dig everything but there is chopped Iron and copper wire in the soil so that just makes it to rough.) The smaller coil was still allowing me to separate targets nicely.

I also Moved Recovery Deep to Off- I have been reading that this in trashy areas can give you a slightly smother signal. It worked nicely but I would need to use it more to be definitive. I generally sweep fairly slow so I noticed no difference in performance.

I also change to - ground coin.

Settings

Location - Oakdale, CA (This information was requested by some California folks so they could see the soil type).

Head phones
I put on the 6 in coil

Response - normal
Fast recovery - off
Recovery deep - off
Target separation Ground Coin
50 Tone

Sensitivity Display is turned on.
Auto Ground Balance
auto - +3
gain - 27

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so wandering if my ground is not highly mineralized than ferrous/coin would be better that ground coin? And maybe a stupid question how do I know if my ground is it is not highly mineralized? D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

I did some checking in mining journals. I also called my local geologist and spent a weekend on a ride along (We checked markers and put in new ones where needed). This also was a great way to learn the area and you get a great idea what is private and what is public for later hunts. I was also able to get a bunch of old maps they were just going to throw away. The other ways is just watch your sensitivity numbers.

Cheers - Koffee

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm convinced that the CTX will miss some desirable targets if you have some trash around them. It isn't as bad as most detectors though, and it may be that they are just harder to hear the desirable targets around the less desirable ones.

Case in point, the last house I hunted I searched the front yard in one direction and came up with nothing significant, but then changed my grid direction and came up with a silver dime and quarter and numerous wheat cents that I didn't hear on the first pass.

That 6" coil is essential. Doesn't work too well in searching big, open areas though and I have had problems with it not counter balancing the battery box. I recently bought a Pro-Swing 45 and it is the bomb. No fatigue at all in my arm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out with the ctx again and have started using the different coils.

The standard coil is a really good general purpose coil and can be used in both trash and open areas. It worked well at covering large areas and was capable in trashy areas.

----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

17 inch coil

I liked this coil for beach use and was decent for relic hunting. I had a horrible time with this coil for coin shooting in parks and fields. This has an odd swing balance if you are not using the arm cuff.

Parks

I tested this in a large park along with soccer fields and this coil had no advantages over the standard coil. The issue I had with this is that even in semi clean parks areas still had to much trash to be more useful to me the standard coil. I spent a bunch of time checking possible targets on this coil making sure it was not a false positive on the outer edge. I think I could of covered the same ground faster with the standard coil.

Beach

I used this on the beach and I was able to cover some serious territory. This was just amazing.

Relic Hunting

I worked decently but I have only used it on two hunts so I do not have a qualified opinion yet. In the areas I hunt object are rarely under more then 8 inches and most between 4 to 6 inches of dirt. It worked nicely for those hunts but not sure if it added any advantages over the standard coil.

----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

6 Inch coil

This is super handy and I take this with me on every hunt in case I run into a trashy area. It is small and fits in my butt pack easily. This is one of the most useful coils I have used. In my opinion it is a must have. If you are only going to get one additional coil it would be this (unless you are strictly a beach hunter).

Cheers - Koffee

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koffee, thats some great input from the field- thanks for posting!

Wayne

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 17" coil for me just didn't work out. I'm pretty sure with a harness it might be alright for open fields and beaches, but, for my type of hunting and my arthritis, the 17" was just a pain....literally. I, also, found it rather difficult to pinpoint with it. For you younger, healthy folks, I imagine it is a great accessory and allows a lot of area to be covered, but, it is surely not designed for trashy areas!

The stock coil and the 6" are my favorites. No problems pinpointing and I love the features of the CTX, especially Target Trace. My biggest like is the WM10 module....I hated being tethered to my machine using headphones and this frees me up! I still have my F75 and I have to say the learning curve on the CTX is MUCH steeper. The F75 is much more intuitive. As I get used to the CTX and learn its' "language", it is becoming more of an extension of myself rather than an attachment.....much easier to interpret the signals. I modified a trashy park program to accept gold signals through silver and it has made hunting much more productive. I like this machine more and more with every hunt. Even though it weighs a little more than the F75, the balance makes it seem lighter.....go figure.

Great hunting to all........

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the 17 in coil being uncomfortable as it has a different balance to it. I always use the arm cuff as it seems like the machine was designed for this to be used, by the way it is balanced. I do agree the 6 in and the standard coil are very nice coils.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions