Can you find a gold chain neckless

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
Have an Excalibur and thinking of getting the new CTX3030. I didn't know that you can't find a gold neckless with these detectors. It seems to be a waste of time if you may not pickup these neckless up. Or is this something that we just accept? Or maybe people don't loose neckless. I understand that you may pickup on the clasp or the pendant if it was a small chain. And I would assume a large link neckless you would pickup. Most of the gold found are rings I haven't seen a neckless. Yet. That I recall.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Have an Excalibur and thinking of getting the new CTX3030. I didn't know that you can't find a gold neckless with these detectors. It seems to be a waste of time if you may not pickup these neckless up. Or is this something that we just accept? Or maybe people don't loose neckless. I understand that you may pickup on the clasp or the pendant if it was a small chain. And I would assume a large link neckless you would pickup. Most of the gold found are rings I haven't seen a neckless. Yet. That I recall.

A old hunting buddy of mine bought a 30/30 and said he loved it, then something changed and he bought a excal II and hasn't used the 30/30 since and never seen him swing it since then for months.
I've moved away now but from the brief conversations about it all I gained from him was he liked the excal better. Don't know why but if you're considering a change I'd research it first and ask questions as it's a big jump in price.
Good luck

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When/if you see one found, I'll bet the finder has/had a 6" coil on. Coils as big as the stock 11" are too big to be very sensitive to small gold chains.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a couple years ago in parks with my old BFO detector. Haven't found any with my modern high tech machines but it could be because I haven't put the coil over one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors have problems finding a gold chain if the links are small. Detectors don't see the necklace as a whole, but, just as their separate parts. If you want to find small linked gold chains, you'll want to use a gold machine that is sensitive to small nuggets. Be prepared to dig a whole lot of targets however as they'll pick up every tiny piece of junk too. Using a small coil with some detectors can help but usually they still give a scratchy sound on the small link ones. Machines operating at a higher frequency seem to work better at finding small gold. You have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort. Personally, I don't worry about small linked chains. There's not enough gold in them to lose any sleep over. I'd rather cover more ground and possibly find a decent gold or silver ring instead.

OP
OP
jbc465

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
Well I guess I will forget about any chains for now. I'll just wait to see what shows up in the scoop. And if it is a chain. I will be happy. Actually I'm happy every time I'm swinging because you never know what your going to find. Thanks for all the input.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 ways to find gold chains IN the water (on land is a different story and I'll explain that at the bottom).

1: it's attached to a pendent or something that your detector actually CAN detect and so you make the chain find due to the machine picking up on the attached pendent or the like. (addendum --- if by chance it has an extremely large clasp - it may pick it up at very shallow depth too).

or

2: you get the ONLY water machine ever made that can actually pick up on "most" (not all) gold chains but that are not made/sold new anymore and are hard to come by on the used market these days (not telling which one because I'm waiting (have been for over a yr) to find one myself) and I'm not going to ruin my chances by having competition buying it before me or running the price up when one comes up for auction/etc!

3rd way (this is for land/beach hunting) is to buy a Gold Bug 2 OR a DT Vista Gold machine - BOTH are very sensitive to small/thin gold but they're not water machines so you're limited to land use only...

Those are your only choices ;-)

99.9% of ALL machines can not see gold chains -- you can stick a gold chain directly ON your detectors coil and not get a single blip out of it.

Unless you're talking something like the gold chains Rap music stars wore back in the 80s and it weighs like 5 lbs!!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about any gold machine and surf PI machine will find small chains but they'll sound off on every other small piece of trash too. It's a matter of value of the chain vs. the time it takes to find them. Most small link gold chains just aren't worth the trouble.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have an Excalibur and thinking of getting the new CTX3030. I didn't know that you can't find a gold neckless with these detectors.

Nope. You can put the gold neckless on the coil and it won't respond - it's blind to tiny, thin gold. These are low conductors and are not going to respond. However, if it has a pendant or larger loops, then it may, depending on the alloys. If you want to stimulate low conductors you need a high freq VLF - there are a few out there that can respond to micro-jewelry and fine gold.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
my favorite detector for gold chains in fresh water is the tesoro lobo with a 12x10" coil, put disc at 1 and sensitivity at max.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as mentioned above only if there is a pendent on it.

I have found Silver & junk chains, with my Sovereign,
But the signals sounded washed out, not solid.
in every single case I remember, I wondered if it was a mass Spill of those very small
tiny round Split Shot fishing sinker balls or gum wrappers.
there was no way to pinpoint.
So if your not willing to investigate those 99.9% odds of being a waste of time
signals, No you will probably not find a chain.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread