Sovereign XP. Is it worthwhile to repair?

BoonvilleKid

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2014
Boonville, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Eagle Spectrum
Minelab Explorer
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have inherited an old metal detector; a Minelab sovereign XS. I use White and Garrett machines so I'm kinda lost with how to get started with this one. I've downloaded the manual information from Minelabs site but it was not very informative. My immediate problems seem to be:
1. The skid plate on the bottom of the coil has become cracked with age. Can a new one be purchased from Minelab?
2. The machine has a 8" coinsearch coil. It appears that something heavy has been dropped on the top & the top of the coil is cracked. Does Minelab do repairs to these older units? Only time will tell if any internal damage has been done.
3. The unit has a Sun Ray DI II screen mounted on it. Are these useful and dependable?
4. There are no batteries installed with the unit. In fact, there is no tray or anything in what I assume is the location for the batteries. Did the unit come with a re-chargable battery pack? Does anyone know if Minelab still sells the original battery pack and charger? Does a new pack and charger cost more than the unit is worth?
5. The manual I downloaded from Minelab indicates that the unit comes with a "Field Guide". Nothing came with this unit. Is the "Field Guide" worth trying to find?
6. Is this a good unit for finding coins?

I appreciate any information someone is willing to give to help me get started (if possible) with this unit. I may be wasting my time but I'm willing to give it a try if it can be a good unit to use.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello :thumbsup: First off the Sun Ray DI II screen is Valuable to some Sovereign users.
Keeping an eye on Ebay may get you an idea of what it's worth.

on your other questions, No don't expect any help from Minelab on the XS
it would be extremely surprising if they would even touch it. & nobody ever repaired Coils that I'm aware

Again Ebay, & our classifieds would probably be the best place to find parts.

As for the Detector itself , The early Sovereign XS-2 's were Awesome.

I'm sure the XS is also.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Battery Packs sells batteries and chargers that will work.

#2510FMS
Smart Peak Charger 7-10 cell

Your best bet is to seal the coinsearch coil with epoxy. They are very to find. You should also be able to find a coil cover for the other coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy used coil since they are plug in, I would not use a bad coil cable or coil, it can draw water up the cable like a straw into your control box.

If controls are good it is worth it...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by what you already own, I would throw too much money into it. Your Explorer is a better machine IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread