30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a SAFARI you will really like it. I have had mine for a little over a year and love it. I can tell a quarter from a dime or a penny most of the time just by the sound it makes with my ear phones on. Ear phones are a must have to seal out almost all noise except coin sounds. You can really make your safari, custom just the way you want. Do practice in the yard with coins and you own rings and chains. It will come to you a lot faster learning the tones. keep digging and then dig some more.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I never thought about the lower shafts. I hear the cord is quite stiff and firmly coiled. Have you noticed any cord chafing at the entry point of the lower shaft? I don't notice any protective grommets. As for noise, my primary unit is a Fisher F70. The F70 is not a silent search machine! To use it properly, you have to accept some chatter. I've goften used to it, and regularly run her on the hot/noisy side, in delta pitch audio mode.

My Safari is very stable and have never had any problems with coil cables, etc. As a matter of fact I really like that they run clean inside the shaft with no snagging or such in brush or wooded areas. Running a 5" Excelerator coil has proven helpful in trashy areas. Also, the Safari has the noise cancel setting that allows me to hunt directly under powerlines or even yards with underground pet fences with no interference while other detectors would go batty. Really like my Safari so far. Also, just picked up the AT Pro so I feel like I have some versatility in my machines for defferent hunting scenarios.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil: Thank you for your detailed feedback. It's quite helpful! Your lower shaft suggestion makes a lot of sense. On a different note, being an F70 user, I am used to master volume control, and several user defined, audio feedback settings. The F70, I can coin shoot in delta pitch, or I can run all metal with 1,3 or 4 tones. I have been spoiled by the F70's audio modes. How does the Safari compare?

I have never tried a Fisher product. The Safari does have a master volume control, and a variable threshold, and the sounds are sort of what I'd call infinite. That is that the sounds vary over a wide range from low to high tones depending on the target conductivity or ferrous content making audio ID pretty efficient. There is no choosing of tones, except that you can choose between what Minelab calls "ferrous" or "conductive" sounds. When you hear Minelab guys talking about that "sweet high tone" they are referring to the high pitch given out by silver. Copper has a lower pitch, gold, foil, and lead lower still, and iron at the low end of the audio spectrum. These will vary a little due to size and depth of a target, but you will definitely know the difference between metal types by sound even running without discrimination. When a Safari or Etrac goes over a silver coin or ring you will definitely know it without having to reference your screen. As on any machine gold will sound and VID differently depending on karat, and will often sound like pop tops or lead. You will also be able to tell the difference between colonial coppers and wheat cents by sound with use, but as with any other machine a piece of copper flashing will still fool you. I hope this helps you, the infinite sound thing gets a little hard for me to explain.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are probably going to kill me...after all this good advice...

I just saw some good videos of the Whites v3i. I've never seriously looked at Whites before, they seem so bulky. However, that Spectra v3i is prettier than a picture of a pet giraffe!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are probably going to kill me...after all this good advice... I just saw some good videos of the Whites v3i. I've never seriously looked at Whites before, they seem so bulky. However, that Spectra v3i is prettier than a picture of a pet giraffe!!
They have a steep learning curve and love iron. If you want turn on and go, the Safari or Etrac would be the better choice.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What attracts me to the Whites are the user controls, and obviously, the visual display. I want a unit that gives me full user control. However, are all the fancy screens and graphs really that necessary? The Safari may have fewer display options. But something tells me, it might be stronger technology.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil. Thank you, great explanation. 'Delta pitch' on the F70 is the same concept....a low growl to a high squeal, and everything in the middle. On the Safari, when the C or F appears, is it based upon target ID? Or 'program' settings? In other words, you scan a silver coin. You'll get a high squeal, then 'C' flashes to confirm it's conductive? Or, does the C/F appear when the unit is tuned to certain discrimination patterns? (Does that make sense? )

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The C or F is in discrimination settings, and you can change it from one to the other if you wish through a technique called "cross saving". Therefor all four factory disc. settings and the four savable custom settings can be used either in C or F. You may want to consider reading Andy Sabish's book on the Safari before you buy, it explains all the systems and and their uses. The book is fairly popular, and you could easily re-sell it if you opt for a different machine. Or perhaps your local library can get you a copy to borrow and read, it is much more informative than the owners manual.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The C or F is in discrimination settings, and you can change it from one to the other if you wish through a technique called "cross saving". Therefor all four factory disc. settings and the four savable custom settings can be used either in C or F. You may want to consider reading Andy Sabish's book on the Safari before you buy, it explains all the systems and and their uses. The book is fairly popular, and you could easily re-sell it if you opt for a different machine. Or perhaps your local library can get you a copy to borrow and read, it is much more informative than the owners manual.

Good luck finding that book. Its outta print and I can't find it any where

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck finding that book. Its outta print and I can't find it any where

Many out of print books are available through any library, if you ask often they can get a copy to lend you. I also still see them on ebay occasionally.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could look for Andys Book on the ETrac, there isn't a big difference, the ETRAC just has more features...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
th.jpeg m8ydvt_IYm1YvwHX-Doalwg.jpg I just picked up a Quattro this year .. Quattro is a Safari different color and different name…. And i will tell you it will go deep and it loves Gold…… .

Last edited:

warriorriver

Feb 16, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Safari, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine a real coin machine, once you get use to the sounds it rocks on deep sliver:icon_thumright:
also you can save up to 4 of your own programs. No gold rings yet but working on it:thumbsup:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I spoke to Andy Sabisch the other day regarding the possibility of reprinting his book on the Safari and he told me that this wasn't in the cards BUT...he is looking to bring it out in E-Book format around the April/May time frame. That's good news for all us relatively new Safari owners indeed!!! :thumbsup:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke to Andy Sabisch the other day regarding the possibility of reprinting his book on the Safari and he told me that this wasn't in the cards BUT...he is looking to bring it out in E-Book format around the April/May time frame. That's good news for all us relatively new Safari owners indeed!!! :thumbsup:

That is great news

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread